When your great ideas deflate...what to do?

RAstarlight

Registered
Reaction score
I'm a newbie here (just posted in the intro section), and I'd love some input on my "idea" problem.

I keep a running list of topics/ideas/angles to write about. I have a lot of them, actually - my problem is not in thinking up ideas, my problem is that I'll think I've got some "great angle" or whatnot, then I start to Google it - and realize that my so-called unique idea has been covered. Sometimes, a LOT.

This makes me feel like a deflated party balloon. Dreaming up ideas is easy - finding a "unique angle" is NOT.

Any advice?

Osulagh

Independent fluffy puppy.
Registered
Reaction score
Old rule of thumb: Ideas are cheap.

It all depends on execution. How well you work those ideas and write them out matters.

RAstarlight

Registered
Reaction score
I totally agree that ideas are cheap - I've got a ton of them, and they are pretty worthless just sitting there wondering what I'm going to do with them. :ROFL:

I keep trying different angles. I'll just keep working them! :D

Old rule of thumb: Ideas are cheap.

It all depends on execution. How well you work those ideas and write them out matters.

davidjgalloway

Opus is my guy.
Registered
Reaction score
I also wouldn't toss those ideas. Because as you often find out, often the next new thing is the person who successfully combines "A" and "B" into something AMAZING. Maybe you have two "done" ideas. What if you smush them together? It might be as simple as looking at it from a new angle, but I wouldn't necessarily discard them. Besides, you could read what someone else did with the idea and say, "That's all wrong!" There's an approach right there--if they really did it in a flawed way, maybe that's all the opening you need.

Usher

Registered
Reaction score
Stop trying to be unique and just be yourself. You are unique so if you keep writing you'll find your voice and it will stand out no matter what the subject. Otherwise you're just trying too hard and that is what will come across.

RAstarlight

Registered
Reaction score
Thanks Gallowayprof - that's a good way to look at it! It's demoralizing to think "I've got this super unique angle on this topic" and then see that, nope -it's not unique, lol.

However, you've given me a good way to keep them and spin them in another way.

Also, spot-on about seeing an idea I've had done in a way that I think I could have done a better job with - or at least in a different way (don't we all think that sometimes?) - it kind of inspires me to try it anyway, and just do a more thorough job with it.

Anyway, thanks! :)

I also wouldn't toss those ideas. Because as you often find out, often the next new thing is the person who successfully combines "A" and "B" into something AMAZING. Maybe you have two "done" ideas. What if you smush them together? It might be as simple as looking at it from a new angle, but I wouldn't necessarily discard them. Besides, you could read what someone else did with the idea and say, "That's all wrong!" There's an approach right there--if they really did it in a flawed way, maybe that's all the opening you need.

RAstarlight

Registered
Reaction score
Good point, Usher. I just had it burned into my brain so many times that since there is nothing new under the sun, you've GOT to find a "new" way to spin it (ideas/topics). But they've all been "spun and done" anyway - so I might as well stick with it.

Thanks for the insight, much appreciated!

Stop trying to be unique and just be yourself. You are unique so if you keep writing you'll find your voice and it will stand out no matter what the subject. Otherwise you're just trying too hard and that is what will come across.

AllenC

Registered
Reaction score
As in most disciplines, first tries are meant to fail, but if you keep writing, building, over them, maybe the sixth or seventh iteration of ideas will be good enough to make a book out of it.

RAstarlight

Registered
Reaction score
Thanks for the advice, Allen :)

It's a good thing I love to write - paid or not (though paid is certainly preferable, lol), because if I just keep writing, keep writing...my angles will start to shine up a bit, hopefully!

As in most disciplines, first tries are meant to fail, but if you keep writing, building, over them, maybe the sixth or seventh iteration of ideas will be good enough to make a book out of it.

kdaniel171

Banned
Spammer
Reaction score
RAstarlight,never give up!
Who knows, maybe the 50th idea that you google, will turn up to be unique and useful and bring you millions.