OMG editor wants more info....freaking out- help?!

RAstarlight

Registered
Reaction score
((DEEP BREATHS)))

An editor responded to another of my queries, and wants more info - I am now trying to calm down b/c I'm honestly stuck as to what to say.

Before hitting send, I wasn't "in love" with the topic, but I've been really challenging myself to query as much as possible lately, so I did it.

She responded and wanted to know how I could narrow my focus.

How the hell do I do that?

My pitch is about night sweats in women - how it is not always perimenopause or menopause, but can often be an indicator of something else.

I did my due diligence and spoke to a cardiologist and and OB/GYN and they told me other factoids, which I included in my pitch.

So how to I narrow this down - HELP!!

RAstarlight

Registered
Reaction score
Can you not ask the editor?

Thanks for responding - she said:

"Thanks so much for reaching out again. Since we've covered night sweats, perimenopause and menopause a fair amount lately, it will be a while before we come back to the topic. And from your pitch I'm not clear (outside of heart disease) what else you'd be discussing that would draw in our reader. Can you explain?"

Frankly, no, I can't explain - LMAO.

OK it's not funny. But I feel a brain fart going on right now...

I'm thinking, well, something like "I'd like to focus on the causes that are NOT perimenopause or menopause" in particular.

I thought I said that in the query - but I sure don't want to say "I already said that," b/c well, that's rude of me. I obviously didn't make it clear enough in my pitch. :(

So I don't want to ping pong it back to her since she wants me to explain.

I need more coffee.

mirandashell

Banned
Reaction score
Ah I see.

Then maybe your focus in the query is too much on menopause etc? It needs to be weighted more towards the other causes? Cos it seems from her reply that she wants to know more about those.

SWest

In the garden...
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.etsy.com
... from your pitch I'm not clear (outside of heart disease) what else you'd be discussing that would draw in our reader. Can you explain?"

I'm thinking, well, something like "I'd like to focus on the causes that are NOT perimenopause or menopause" in particular.

She's asking for the specific things Other Than. List them.

1 - Heart Disease

2 - __________

3- ___________

etc. Also give an indication of other symptoms/sequelae for readers to watch out for that mean These hot flashes are not benign/merely annoying.

You don't have to write her the entire article, but you do have to give her the sense that you have a real, ready-to-go idea here.

If you can't give a bullet list of other illnesses or are not ready to write cogently about each one, leave this follow up sit tight until you can/are.

RAstarlight

Registered
Reaction score
Ah I see.

Then maybe your focus in the query is too much on menopause etc? It needs to be weighted more towards the other causes? Cos it seems from her reply that she wants to know more about those.

Yes, good point. I am trying to focus, so I can ensure my reply to her isn't scattershot - just throwing a bunch of random crap out there.

Thing is, there are many reasons for night sweats in women, from heart disease, to side effects of medications (a lot of them, in fact), etc.

Trying to distill that down into a bite sized chunk of info for her so I don't reply with a thesis statement length response....

RAstarlight

Registered
Reaction score
SWest - THANK YOU!!! Working on it now.....

Love how you outlined it for me - sending you a cyber hug for the guidance! :)

She's asking for the specific things Other Than. List them.

1 - Heart Disease

2 - __________

3- ___________

etc. Also give an indication of other symptoms/sequelae for readers to watch out for that mean These hot flashes are not benign/merely annoying.

You don't have to write her the entire article, but you do have to give her the sense that you have a real, ready-to-go idea here.

If you can't give a bullet list of other illnesses or are not ready to write cogently about each one, leave this follow up sit tight until you can/are.

RAstarlight

Registered
Reaction score
LOL I know I should not panic, but I am - is it OK if I don't respond until later today, you think? I don't want to rush an answer!

No probs! lol

She may also want a few citations, so continue the deep breathing and make some lists.

G'luck!

:D

mirandashell

Banned
Reaction score
LOL I know I should not panic, but I am - is it OK if I don't respond until later today, you think? I don't want to rush an answer!

Of course. Far better to send her something that you've had time to think about and work on.

RAstarlight

Registered
Reaction score
Here is what I have so far - is this too "rambling?" - what are your impressions?

"Thanks for the quick response! What I believe would draw the reader in would be the focus on how night sweats cannot be simply dismissed as a sign of menopause (or perimenopause).

Those suffering from night sweats should get a thorough examination to exclude major health problems like:

1 - Heart Disease

2 - Cancer

3 - Sleep apnea

Evaluation can lead to benign causes such as:

Side effect of common medications (OTC and pharmaceuticals):
• Antidepressants
• Pain relievers (OTC and pharmaceutical)

According to Dee Anna Glaser, MD, FAAD (President of the International Hyperhidrosis Society), "Most night sweating is not idiopathic [from an unknown cause],there is usually an underlying medical condition that needs to be addressed."*

SWest

In the garden...
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.etsy.com
Of course. Far better to send her something that you've had time to think about and work on.

+1 I'm pretty sure this is not an emergency article. ;) Take your time, make the sale.

Here is what I have so far - is this too "rambling?" - what are your impressions?

"Thanks for the quick responseyour interest! What I believe would draw the reader in would be thea focus on how night sweats cannot be simply dismissed as a sign of menopause (or perimenopause).

Those suffering from night sweats should get a thorough examination to exclude major health problems like:

1 - Heart Disease

2 - Cancer

3 - Sleep apnea

Evaluation canmight even lead to more benign and addressable causes such as:

Side effect of common medications (OTC and pharmaceuticals*):
• Antidepressants
• Pain relievers (OTC and pharmaceutical*)

*do you mean 'prescription'?

According to Dee Anna Glaser, MD, FAAD (President of the International Hyperhidrosis Society), "Most night sweating is not idiopathic [from an unknown cause],there is usually an underlying medical condition that needs to be addressed."*

Fantastic quote at the end!

RAstarlight

Registered
Reaction score
Updated response...just looking for opinions on it, thanks to anyone who has the time to comment or critique! :)

"Thanks for the quick response! What I believe would draw the reader in would be the focus on how night sweats cannot be simply dismissed as a sign of menopause (or perimenopause), and that it should always be investigated to rule out serious causes.

Perhaps the title would be more specific such as "Night Sweats: don't be quick to dismiss this warning sign."

I'd like to advise women (with physician-backed stats) suffering from night sweats to get a thorough examination to exclude major health problems like:

1 - Heart disease

2 - Cancer

3 - Hormone disorders (i.e., thyroid conditions)

3 - Sleep apnea

Those are the "big four" players when it comes to serious causes.

Evaluation can also lead to benign causes such as:

Side effect of common medications (OTC and pharmaceuticals):
• Antidepressants
• Pain relievers (OTC and pharmaceutical)

According to Dee Anna Glaser, MD, FAAD (President of the International Hyperhidrosis Society), "Most night sweating is not idiopathic [from an unknown cause], there is usually an underlying medical condition that needs to be addressed."*

So, instead of an angle that tilts in the direction of menopause, it would be a service piece to alert women that night sweats, while common, should never be dismissed as merely annoying, or just another sign of menopause (or perimenopause). Women already know that it's a sign of those things - it's what they don't know that could hurt them.

I hope this gives you a better idea of where my focus would be here."

Best Regards,
me, website addy, etc.

RAstarlight

Registered
Reaction score
You're my hero today, thank you! I was typing another response when you posted this - I am putting these changes in now. THANK YOU!!

+1 I'm pretty sure this is not an emergency article. ;) Take your time, make the sale.

Fantastic quote at the end!

RAstarlight

Registered
Reaction score
I put in the suggested edits (thanks so much!), and here is what I've got now:

"Thanks for your interest! What I believe would draw the reader in would be a focus on how night sweats cannot be simply dismissed as a sign of menopause (or perimenopause).

1 - Heart Disease

2 - Cancer

3 - Hormone disorders (i.e., thyroid conditions)

4 - Sleep apnea*

Those are the "big four" players when it comes to serious causes.

Evaluation might even*lead to more benign and addressable causes such as:

Side effect of common medications:*
• Antidepressants
• Pain relievers (OTC and prescription)

According to Dee Anna Glaser, MD, FAAD (President of the International Hyperhidrosis Society), "Most night sweating is not idiopathic [from an unknown cause],there is usually an underlying medical condition that needs to be addressed."

So, instead of an angle that tilts in the direction of menopause, it would be a service piece to alert women that night sweats should never be dismissed as merely annoying, or just another sign of menopause (or perimenopause).

Women already know that it's a sign of those things - it's what they don't know that could hurt them.

I hope this gives you a better idea of where my focus would be here.

Best,
(Me, website, etc.)

RAstarlight

Registered
Reaction score
Not sure why the * symbol is popping up in my c&p - that's not a part of my response. Just an FYI. :)

RAstarlight

Registered
Reaction score
Yeah. I think at this point you can safely take a few hours away before you hit Send.

:)

LOL - good point SWest. ;)

I've started working on some other queries to get my mind off of "panic mode" - so that is something.

I'm just really excited b/c this editor is from one of my "dream magazines" - so....I feel like a 5-year-old right now.

Thanks so much for all your help!