Don't know Greek

MakanJuu

Registered
Reaction score
I decided to make one of my characters part Greek to spice up the ethnicities of my story, but it really took me a moment to realize I don't know any Greek names.

I was planning on having his mother be adopted & her original name having been "Iokolous," but I don't know if that's a real name, or whether or not its spelled correctly.

Does anyone have any suggestions on this?

Chase

It Takes All of Us to End Racism
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Go to "Story Research," maybe. Or search for Greek names online. But your question really isn't one of grammar or syntax.:Shrug:

MakanJuu

Registered
Reaction score
Thanks.

And, yeah, I wasn't entirely sure where this fit in. This was the first area that seemed remotely relevant.

EDIT: Just for clarification, I was looking for surnames/ last names.

Last edited:

Sonsofthepharaohs

Still writing the ancient Egyptian tetralogy
Registered
Reaction score
I was planning on having his mother be adopted & her original name having been "Iokolous," but I don't know if that's a real name, or whether or not its spelled correctly.

Thanks.

EDIT: Just for clarification, I was looking for surnames/ last names.

I don't believe that's an actual name, even a surname. And Greek surnames have a particular convention, which I first encountered when I had a Greek professor at uni. Her surname was Theodorakopoulos - and a Greek friend of mine pointed out that it is the masculine ending (I don't know why I didn't notice, since I'd been studying ancient Greek for 7 years by then). She probably just took the same ending as her husband's surname to fit in with British naming convention, as we tend to find it a bit strange when husbands and wives don't have the same last name ;)

But the feminine ending of her name should have been Theodorakopoulou.

ETA: Just had a little look at wikipedia, and it says that women don't legally take their husband's surname in Greece, but some do socially. This is probably what my prof did :) And now I think of it... all of the Greek men I know have wives with different surnames. Didn't even notice before!

If you want to give your character an authentic Greek name, I'd advise you to do some research into modern Greek naming conventions :)

Last edited by a moderator:

Sonsofthepharaohs

Still writing the ancient Egyptian tetralogy
Registered
Reaction score
Oh, another (male) Greek surname convention is when it comes to patronymics - the 'ides' ending means 'son of' as far as I'm aware. So Alexandrides, Ioannides, etc is like our form of Jackson, Robinson etc.

Last edited by a moderator:

three_act_climax

Registered
Reaction score
Hi MakanJuu,

If you want to keep the 'Iok-' stem then here are some greek surnames which (to my greek ears) sound like they could be kosher:

Iokopoulos
Iokimidis
Iokaridis

For first names, the 'Greek names from BehindTheName' that TAMaxwell provided looks really good. Just bear in mind that the names provided can sometimes be quite formal and (frequently) have informal versions, e.g. the name 'Anastasios' from p.1: 'Tasos' is the informal version.

Hope this helps!