What's the best time to send your email query?

RAstarlight

Registered
Reaction score
Hello everyone!

I have an e-mail query polished up and ready to go, and I'm eager to send it off. However, I wonder if anyone has found that there is an ideal time to send it.

Since today is Sunday, I was thinking I might want to wait until Tuesday - on the hunch that on Monday my e-mail might not get the ideal reception (editors getting back to the office after a weekend, that kind of thing).

Any thoughts, advice? Thanks in advance!

Angie

Shaddup and lemme think.
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.tranquiligeek.com
The best time to send your email...is whenever you're ready to send it. I've heard of editors replying on weekends, holidays, etc. - there's really not any "perfect" time to send a query.

RAstarlight

Registered
Reaction score
The best time to send your email...is whenever you're ready to send it. I've heard of editors replying on weekends, holidays, etc. - there's really not any "perfect" time to send a query.

Thanks Angie! I've got some sweaty palms here, this will be my second "big magazine" pitch - so it makes me nervous. Silly, I know that editors are human, I used to be one, lol. :tongue

WeaselFire

Benefactor Member
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Thanks Angie! I've got some sweaty palms here, this will be my second "big magazine" pitch - so it makes me nervous.

Don't let it. You should be sending a query as soon as it's ready then working on the next one to send. You'll need several (many) in the pipeline if you're looking for a career doing this writing thing.

When I wrote freelance full time I used to come up with an article idea, do some minimal research to formulate the query and send it off, then rework the same material for a different market and send it off. I might come up with an idea for researching pet food manufacturing techniques in China for example, then pitch an article to a consumer magazine, say Amazing Aquatics, a trade journal, maybe American Pet Shop Journal, then another trade magazine, maybe Manufacturing Techniques Quarterly and maybe an in-flight magazine like Air America Sky Journal. Same research, different approaches to presenting the information

Do it enough and you become a master of squeezing every penny out of your work. Or you get smart and get a high paying job with benefits at your local fast food chain. :)

Jeff

RAstarlight

Registered
Reaction score
Don't let it. You should be sending a query as soon as it's ready then working on the next one to send. You'll need several (many) in the pipeline if you're looking for a career doing this writing thing.

When I wrote freelance full time I used to come up with an article idea, do some minimal research to formulate the query and send it off, then rework the same material for a different market and send it off. I might come up with an idea for researching pet food manufacturing techniques in China for example, then pitch an article to a consumer magazine, say Amazing Aquatics, a trade journal, maybe American Pet Shop Journal, then another trade magazine, maybe Manufacturing Techniques Quarterly and maybe an in-flight magazine like Air America Sky Journal. Same research, different approaches to presenting the information

Do it enough and you become a master of squeezing every penny out of your work. Or you get smart and get a high paying job with benefits at your local fast food chain. :)

Jeff

Thank you Jeff - this is really helpful! And no, I'll stick to writing - working in a fast food chain would just put me in a bad mood, lol :D