Who/whom

WWWalt

Sockpuppet
Banned
Reaction score
following any preposition, the choice is always "whom" or "whomever."

...er, well, except in cases where it isn't. See, for example, the sample sentence and accompanying explanation near the end of post #14 way upthread.

Chase

It Takes All of Us to End Racism
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
...er, well, except in cases where it isn't. See, for example, the sample sentence and accompanying explanation near the end of post #14 way upthread.

Good point. Always avoid always when pointing to a "helpful" grammar hint. :D

Maryn

Sees All
Staff member
Super Moderator
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Always?

Maryn, unable to resist

Dhewco

Registered
Reaction score
This Who/Whom is causing my grammar checker (Word Starter 2010) fits. I have a sentence where it can't make up its mind. I put 'whomever', it tells me to consider changing to to 'whoever'. When I change it, it says to go back to 'whomever', and endless cycle. I guess I should stop trying to get that little green check at the bottom of the screen, lol.

David

King Neptune

Banned
Reaction score
Zombie thread! :D

I'm currently writing my undergrad dissertation and the dreaded who/whom question arose:

"However, Robertson presents the readers with a Scotland who’s histories are discontinuous, fragmented and episodic.'

Is this correct, or as it is an academic sentence, should it be 'whom'?

Thanks.

"Who" usually applies to persons. I would go with: "However, Robertson presents the readers with a Scotland the histories of which are discontinuous, fragmented and episodic."