• Guest please check The Index before starting a thread.

Musa Publishing

Bicyclefish

Pedaling Pescado
Registered
Reaction score
mscelina, in November '11:
Since this issue isn't until June of 2012, we haven't hammered out all the details just yet. As soon as we reconcile our payment scale against the standards for manga, we'll adjust our submission guidelines for that one issue. My idea was to offer the equivalent of short stories from manga artists and to try to bridge the gap between standard sf/f readers and the whole manga scene. At the moment, that is our intention. Once we get through the December horror that is our release schedule, we'll specify in greater detail what we're looking for and what remuneration we're offering for those stories.
I may have missed the December update, but I noticed the submission calls are currently:
August Issue - Dreams
CALL ENDS MARCH 30, 2012

September Issue -- Native American Folklore
CALL ENDS APRIL 30, 2012

October, 2012 -- Edgar Allan Poe
CALL BEGINS ON APRIL 1, 2012.

November, 2012 – Exploration
CALL BEGINS ON MAY 1, 2012.

December, 2012—Utopia
CALL BEGINS ON JUNE 1, 2012
Has the comic/manga issue been dropped or delayed? If still slated for June 2012, artists need ample time to work on submissions unless Penumbra plans to accept previously published works.

mscelina

Teh doommobile, drivin' rite by you
Requiescat In Pace
Registered
Reaction score
Going shopping with Soccer Mom and Bubastes for fu
The manga issue was changed to Greco-Roman mythology. Submissions for that issue are now closed. I may do a manga issue in 2013, but at the moment I have no immediate plans to do so.

Zoletti

Registered
Reaction score
I have a full with them for three weeks. I've liked what I have read about the company. Hopefully my manuscript passes muster.

triceretops

Banned
Flounced
Reaction score
Website
guerrillawarfareforwriters.blogspot.com
I had to decline the offer for pub from the wonderful people at Musa. I had to let it expire without signing. Apparently, my agent had a few straggler submissions out there that I was unaware of, after having thought that we were finished with a large second round. I was given the opportunity to re-submit to Musa when I was ready (clear), and I'm eternally thankful for that.

I'm gratified that they really got Screamcatcher, when as of late, all I've been getting is the finger from other publications who probably haven't even read it.

Tri:cry:

VanessaNorth

Purple hair, not prose.
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.vanessanorth.com
I sent a requested full to Musa this afternoon for the erotic romance imprint. I initially queried 4 days ago, for those updating their spreadsheets. ;)

(HA! I'm a spreadsheet junkie who has paranoid geek down to a science, so I am poking fun at all of us there)

LaneHeymont

Not so secret agent
Registered
Reaction score
I sent a requested full to Musa this afternoon for the erotic romance imprint. I initially queried 4 days ago, for those updating their spreadsheets. ;)

(HA! I'm a spreadsheet junkie who has paranoid geek down to a science, so I am poking fun at all of us there)

I'm a computer skill-lacking nerd. I use an outline set up in MS Word. LOL

I (probably foolishly) have a good feeling about my full for a short story, The Knight's Redemption.

As someone who doesn't know anything about Romance...and has a tangent for nonsensical ideas— Non-romance Erotica? LOL

Silver-Midnight

Registered
Reaction score
rising from the depths of a cup of coffee
We are currently building those imprints. Calliope is our romance imprint; Erato is GLBT. I'm in the process of promoting an editor to run the Calliope imprint and we already have a fantastic head editor at Erato. As a matter of fact, our Orpheus GLBT writing contest just closed to entries and is in judging right now. Since our launch in October, we have 13 m/f erotic titles,19 straight romance titles, and 16 GLBT titles with multiple titles for each imprint on our forthcoming release schedule. We are also building a YA GLBT line, which is one of our primary focuses as we head into the summer. You can browse through our currently released titles at our website and take a look at the authors who have published with us in our romance imprints.

But the answer is--YES. We have thriving romance imprints, and those imprints are actively evaluating submissions.

I know that you probably don't have a huge amount of control over my next question, but do your IR/MC titles sell fairly well? I know that sales are also on the author as far promotion and everything but I'm curious.

VanessaNorth

Purple hair, not prose.
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.vanessanorth.com
I'm a computer skill-lacking nerd. I use an outline set up in MS Word. LOL

I (probably foolishly) have a good feeling about my full for a short story, The Knight's Redemption.

As someone who doesn't know anything about Romance...and has a tangent for nonsensical ideas— Non-romance Erotica? LOL

Lol, yeah, the terminology can be confusing...

Erotica can be romantic, but if it doesn't have a happy ever after or a happy for now that hints at HEA, it's not "a romance."

So an erotic romance is a romance with explicit sex and plenty of it, whereas erotica is a story with explicit sex and plenty of it that is not necessarily a romance.

Silver-Midnight

Registered
Reaction score
rising from the depths of a cup of coffee
Lol, yeah, the terminology can be confusing...

Erotica can be romantic, but if it doesn't have a happy ever after or a happy for now that hints at HEA, it's not "a romance."

So an erotic romance is a romance with explicit sex and plenty of it, whereas erotica is a story with explicit sex and plenty of it that is not necessarily a romance.

Pretty much that.

Erotica -- It doesn't have to have a Happily Ever After or a Happy For Now type of ending. It can end probably almost any way you chose.

Erotica Romance -- It has to have some type of happy ending, meaning the Hero and Heroine have to end up together to some degree.

Catadmin

An Author in Search of a Plot
VPXIII
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.brandietarvin.net
What's the word count for a short story with Musa Publishing?

Depends on if you are submitting to Penumbra Magazine, or to the regular ebook imprints.

Penumbra is 3000 or less. Has to be on theme for the current open submission.

Regular Musa Publishing is over 3000. At that point, it doesn't matter what the word count is so long as you state it in your query. Musa publishes short fiction, novelettes, novellas, and novels. I believe the royalties are the same, regardless of length. (But read the contract first to make sure. Sample contract can be found on one of the top tabs here: http://musapublishing.blogspot.com/p/submissions.html)

Zoletti

Registered
Reaction score
Does anyone know the response time on full manuscripts for the Melpomene imprint?

Thanks

LaneHeymont

Not so secret agent
Registered
Reaction score
Pretty much that.

Erotica -- It doesn't have to have a Happily Ever After or a Happy For Now type of ending. It can end probably almost any way you chose.

Erotica Romance -- It has to have some type of happy ending, meaning the Hero and Heroine have to end up together to some degree.

Oh okay. That's funny, because I need the HEA in romantic movies, but in books it doesn't seem as big of a deal. Probably since I've never read a romance novel, even though my cousin writes them! Lol.

Prophetsnake

Registered
Reaction score
Celina,
Do you mind if I ask how many sales a book has to achieve to go into print? I've had a look at your catalogue on Amazon and don't see any at the moment.

mscelina

Teh doommobile, drivin' rite by you
Requiescat In Pace
Registered
Reaction score
Going shopping with Soccer Mom and Bubastes for fu
That's because we have not begun to take books to print yet. We've only been open for six months and nine days, and will not initiate a print schedule until the four directors are agreed that print is worth the financial risk and we have the appropriate distribution and organization in place.

VanessaNorth

Purple hair, not prose.
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.vanessanorth.com
Oh okay. That's funny, because I need the HEA in romantic movies, but in books it doesn't seem as big of a deal. Probably since I've never read a romance novel, even though my cousin writes them! Lol.

It's the one absolutely crucial convention to a romance novel/novella. :) Well, now that I've said that, some other crucial conventions will emerge, like, you know, characters. But you know what I mean. :)

LaneHeymont

Not so secret agent
Registered
Reaction score
It's the one absolutely crucial convention to a romance novel/novella. :) Well, now that I've said that, some other crucial conventions will emerge, like, you know, characters. But you know what I mean. :)

I wonder where Lady and the Tramp lands...but that's too off-topic. Sorry, Musa! :)

Prophetsnake

Registered
Reaction score
That's because we have not begun to take books to print yet. We've only been open for six months and nine days, and will not initiate a print schedule until the four directors are agreed that print is worth the financial risk and we have the appropriate distribution and organization in place.

Ah, OK. That's fair enough. Thanks.
Obviously it's your long term aim, so.

LaneHeymont

Not so secret agent
Registered
Reaction score
Ah, OK. That's fair enough. Thanks.
Obviously it's your long term aim, so.

I don't remember if you were looking to submit a short story or what (I"m at school and the internet's wonky, so scrolling up will probably freeze the internet or something), but for me Online is great for shorts. Heck, the Harvard Review is all online now! Lol