Information Overload! Advice is welcome please!

DawnBwriter

DawnBwriter
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.dawnbwriter.com
I work full-time, have a couple teenagers I chauffeur around, and am trying to launch my freelance writing/blogging career so I can quit the day job and write full-time instead.

I have subscribed to pro freelance writer newsletters and accumulated a lot of their guides and ebooks they send to my inbox. I feel as though I have a treasure trove of information from various reliable sources, but it's TOO much!

One writer says to pitch this way, and another writer suggests a different pitch. One urges writing for magazines and another writer says to have YouTube videos, ebooks or podcasts to add to a writer's income and forte'.

I need to get the ball rolling, however, in this ocean of information, what are the best pieces of advice you have from your experiences that help simplify this feeling of overwhelm when there's limited time in a day as it is?

Bushrat

reaching for the sun
Registered
Reaction score
I need to get the ball rolling, however, in this ocean of information, what are the best pieces of advice you have from your experiences that help simplify this feeling of overwhelm when there's limited time in a day as it is?

Just do it. Get that ball rolling.
Find out what works for you by giving it a try & repeat, find out what doesn't work for you & discard.

It sounds like you have more than enough information already, so I think instead of looking for yet more infos here, you just need to actually start work :)

Last edited:

DawnBwriter

DawnBwriter
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.dawnbwriter.com
Bushrat, you are so right. I think I am thinking too broad and need to just start pitching. If I get rejected, then keep pitching and eventually I will hit on someone wanting me to write for them...right?

My perfectionistic tendencies want to get it right from the start, but there really is no "right" way to do freelancing, is there? Different approaches work differently for everyone.

I needed to sleep on it and step away from the overwhelm and today's a new day.

Thank you.

WriterBN

Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.k-doyle.com
Bushrat, you are so right. I think I am thinking too broad and need to just start pitching. If I get rejected, then keep pitching and eventually I will hit on someone wanting me to write for them...right?

If you have an area of expertise or a specific subject/topic area on which you can focus, that will help immensely. The shotgun approach can work eventually, but it can also suck up a huge amount of time.

SusanSommer

Crazy Cat Lady of the North
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.akwriter.com
It does take time and discipline, and it can be a long process. First, make your family see that you're serious about this endeavor by setting aside time--even half an hour--every day to do your freelance work. Tell them you're WORKING and are not to be disturbed. Even if you have to lock yourself in the bathroom and turn on some white noise so you're not distracted, do it! They'll probably whine and grumble at first, but it's up to you to set boundaries so you can do what you want.

I've been freelancing exclusively for four years now and still feel overwhelmed by all the information, so take in what you can, ignore the rest, and just keep plugging away at it. Over time, you'll realize how much you've actively learned and passively absorbed just by exposing yourself to the business of writing.

If you can, spend your lunch break at the full-time job on your freelance endeavors--that way you'll be doing something for yourself every day. Good luck!

Angie

Shaddup and lemme think.
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.tranquiligeek.com
This is an excellent post about information overload for new freelancers - you're not alone in getting bogged down by too many sources of information.

My advice? Make a list of things you need to do -- in the beginning, that list should primarily be filled with marketing activities. Put reading more about freelancing low on the list until you've actually got some clients and know what specific things you want to learn more about. This will help you give your learning some direction while actually giving you something to do.

DawnBwriter

DawnBwriter
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.dawnbwriter.com
"so take in what you can, ignore the rest, and just keep plugging away at it"

Thank you for writing that!!! It's refreshing to read other freelancers feel the same about this ocean of over-information. I am lucky in that I work from home for my day job, and it's quite tempting to turn to my personal computer and read about freelancing, check the forums or write, but my boss would not be happy if I'm not productive at my 8-5 gig.

My family is SO incredibly supportive, with having 2 teen boys, they do their own thing and my husband knows my goals and gives me all the space and time I need, so no complaints there. Thank God I don't feel pulled by them as well!

I am a consummate list maker, so while I have the lists, my main thing is "Start Pitching". I struggle with knowing where and how to pitch for guest blogging.

I don't have the time to do lengthy articles for mags yet, so I'll be working on becoming a paid blogger and go from there.

Thank you for your replies!!!

SusanSommer

Crazy Cat Lady of the North
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.akwriter.com
Dawn, one of the best sites I know of for freelancers is Carol Tice's Make a Living Writing. http://www.makealivingwriting.com/ Check it out. She does a lot of blogging and somewhere on her site is a list of other sites that pay guest bloggers. She also pays guest bloggers.

gettingby

Registered
Reaction score
I think freelancing is one of those things you learn the most by doing. What I would focus on is learning the art of pitching. This is going to make all the difference. Can you sell yourself and your idea in two or three short paragraphs? Again, the more you do it, the more you will learn and get better.

When I was freelancing there wasn't as much info on how to do it. Or if there was, I didn't notice. You really just have to go for it. Good luck!

allias

Registered
Reaction score
Just start writing! I was also looking for myself and simple academic assistance helped me to start.