Take a breath - add a comma?

Usher

Registered
Reaction score
Without knowing what you are listing (with the inclusion of ALDI, I'm guessing grocery stores; that's the only ALDI of which I'm aware)

Correct - it was the example my English teacher used so first came to mine. Marks and Spencer is one store.

Including the Oxford comma gives you more freedom in constructing your lists. By including it, you fuss less about how to order the list,
I've got to nearly 40 without ever really fussing about lists ;)

Oxford comma, but I just find the comma to be a cleaner and more natural technique.
Which is fine but it isn't a rule to be insisted on. To me it's a very cluttered and fussy technique as I have never used it, except when a house rule requires it. I've no objection to others using it, but I do think it appears dated.

Last edited:

guttersquid

I agree with Roxxsmom.
Registered
Reaction score
I am absolutely consistent . . . They are only ever used in my work when the sentence would not make any sense otherwise

Then you're consistent only in your inconsistency. You simply cannot do it one way at times and then another way at other times and call it being consistent.

blacbird

Registered
Reaction score
I was taught to always add a comma when you naturally take a breath in your writing, but now I’m wondering if that’s a load of poo.

It's a load of poo.

The comma evolved as a punctuation symbol for specific purposes which still apply. Best to learn them, and a good place to start is the Purdue OWL (gooogle will get you there).

caw

pandaponies

in ur boardz, correctin ur grammar
Registered
Reaction score
Oxford-Comma.jpg

Usher

Registered
Reaction score
We invited JFK, Stalin and the strippers.

No Oxford Comma ;)

Chase

It Takes All of Us to End Racism
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
I was taught to always add a comma when you naturally take a breath in your writing, but now I’m wondering if that’s a load of poo.

It's definitely a load of poo for two US publishers and several US writers for whom I work.

They all adhere to the five basic rules for necessary commas. I'll be happy to PM you the short basics with examples, if you want. It agrees with most college grammar handbooks, including Purdue's.

I think you're wise to question the poo-ridden "put a comma where you pause to take a breath" advice by hopelessly lazy or super clueless mentors who tend to warp their students' comma-sense for all time to come. :Soapbox:

Last edited:

Laiceps

Busy doing nothing
Registered
Reaction score
Chase, that would be amazing, if you have the time.

I'm also looking at the Purdue stuff as well.

Thanks everyone :D