He or him??

MarkEsq

Clever title pending.
Registered
Reaction score
In the wilds of Texas. Actually, the liberal oasi
Need some help to be sure which is correct:

[FONT=&quot]Their lawyer called with the news as I climbed out of my car, his voice thinned out by the distance between us, him in a small village in England and me in a downtown garage in Austin, Texas.[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]
[/FONT]
Or:

[FONT=&quot]Their lawyer called with the news as I climbed out of my car, his voice thinned out by the distance between us, he in a small village in England and me in a downtown garage in Austin, Texas.[/FONT]

ironmikezero

practical experience, FTW
Registered
Reaction score
I think he because I hear the missing yet implied verb was in my head when I read the line... but it still seems a little awkward to me. I'd probably rewrite it, making two sentences.

"As I climbed out of my car in a downtown garage in Austin, Texas, their lawyer called with the news. Telephoning from a small village in England, his voice was thinned by the distance."

King Neptune

Banned
Reaction score
Need some help to be sure which is correct:

[FONT=&quot]Their lawyer called with the news as I climbed out of my car, his voice thinned out by the distance between us, him in a small village in England and me in a downtown garage in Austin, Texas.[/FONT]

It is a restatement of the object of the preposition ?between" with added description, so "him" would be correct. But that is a rather circumloquacious way of putting it, so you might want to rewrite it.

blacbird

Registered
Reaction score
Agree with Neptune. This is just a bad sentence and needs redone. The major problem is that it should be two sentences. Too much stuff is trying too hard to be crammed into this single one, and that leads to the pronoun confusion.

caw

Jamesaritchie

Registered
Reaction score
I've never heard a voice on the phone thinned out by the distance.

Duncan J Macdonald

Plotting! Not Plodding!
Registered
Reaction score
I've never heard a voice on the phone thinned out by the distance.

I have. Back in the pre-digital days, when signals were analog and sheep were scared, the longer a phone call had to travel, the more it was subjected to step-wise amplification. At each of those steps, a bit of the dynamic range was lost. Overseas calls that transited the cable were also dynamically time-plexed to get more calls in a given amount of bandwidth. That process chopped even more range out of the call.

The result was a distinctly washed-out sound.

Bufty

Where have the last ten years gone?
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Back in the 1960's I called the UK from the Caribbean regularly and had no sound problems at all.

I have. Back in the pre-digital days, when signals were analog and sheep were scared, the longer a phone call had to travel, the more it was subjected to step-wise amplification. At each of those steps, a bit of the dynamic range was lost. Overseas calls that transited the cable were also dynamically time-plexed to get more calls in a given amount of bandwidth. That process chopped even more range out of the call.

The result was a distinctly washed-out sound.

Chase

It Takes All of Us to End Racism
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
C'mon, Bufty. When you were a lad, continental drift only just started. Loch Ness and the Caribbean were the same body of water. :D

King Neptune

Banned
Reaction score
Yes, a mere 250,000,000 years ago northeastern corner of Scotland was about ten miles from where I am now. It seems like just yesterday. But Loch Ness was never part of the Caribbean and vice versa.

Chase

Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
With all that other stuff settled, I wonder if the final me should be an I.

Wonder no more, pup. Since KM is correct about "us" and "him" being governed by "between," it naturally follows "me" is also in the objective case.

Loch Ness was never part of the Caribbean and vice versa.

Was too.

King Neptune

Banned
Reaction score
With all that other stuff settled, I wonder if the final me should be an I.

Chase was right to write that this also should be in the objective, because it is also an object of "between".

But he is mistaken about Loch Ness having been pat of the Caribbean, mainly because the Caribbean wasn't there when Loch Ness was in that area, but we don't worry about such things.

blacbird

Registered
Reaction score
Just yesterday, in my Geology class, i ran a video on Loch Ness (which I have visited, more than once). The loch itself is no more than 10,000 years old, an eyeblink of geologic time. The Great Glen Fault, however, in which the loch resides, is really ancient, originally a boundary between two continents. Scotland north of the fault was originally connected to proto-North America. England and southern Scotland resided far away to the south, and stuff got jammed together via plate tectonics much later, then severed again even later than that. All the big volcanic stuff so prominent on the Isle of Skye and elsewhere is the record of the splitting apart of the North Atlantic, in Cretaceous time.

There will be an exam next Friday.

caw

Chase

Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Though picky, when not hammered:e2hammer:, geologists rock. :e2headban

pandaponies

in ur boardz, correctin ur grammar
Registered
Reaction score
"As I climbed out of my car in a downtown garage in Austin, Texas, their lawyer called with the news. Telephoning from a small village in England, his voice was thinned by the distance."

I'm aware this isn't the OP, but someone agreed with this as a rewrite and since this is a grammar subforum I felt the need to point out the dangling participle. A voice does not telephone from a small village in England. A lawyer might.

/pet peeve

Last edited:

Edwardian

Registered
Reaction score
Their lawyer called as I climbed out of my car. His voice sounded thin and attenuated by the 13,000 miles between his village in England and my location in a garage in Austin, Texas.

The OP's second line ('he') might be the subjunctive, not that I really get the subjunctive in English.

King Neptune

Banned
Reaction score
I'm aware this isn't the OP, but someone agreed with this as a rewrite and since this is a grammar subforum I felt the need to point out the dangling participle. A voice does not telephone from a small village in England. A lawyer might.

/pet peeve

Yes, the original sentence is better.