What Music Do You Listen to While Writing?

colombia1812

Registered
Reaction score
I love to listen to Lord of the Rings soundtracks :)...

When I take break then I watch LOR scenes on You Tube.

Yes I'm a geek ;).

SaraP

You can't forget those you've loved
Registered
Reaction score
I find it fascinating how so many people use soundtracks as background music when writing. :)

I listen to my fave bands/artists, simply because being familiar means I can tune them out - I know that sounds kind of counter-intuitive, but I did it that way for studying too, both school and college.

Hip-Hop-a-potamus

My rhymes are bottomless
Registered
Reaction score
Because I write about the late teens and early 20s in America, I've found some great old sources of scratchy 1920s jazz and ragtime.

It's miraculous for really putting me in the mood. I think more 20s, and it comes out on paper.

AllisonBerry

Registered
Reaction score
I'm weird in that I can't listen to music when I write! It distracts me or something, and I end up typing the words to the song instead of writing my own! Ha ha it's weird, I know!

Kameea

I have a dream to become a Gaijin.
Registered
Reaction score
Hello! When writing I mostly listen to Japanese songs and I usually listen to openings and endings of anime for action/battle scenes.

soho-syndrome

Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.fictionpress.com
I'm weird in that I can't listen to music when I write! It distracts me or something, and I end up typing the words to the song instead of writing my own! Ha ha it's weird, I know!

I can't either! I thought I was the only one and wondered if my saying so defeats the purpose of this thread lol. But yes, I need almost absolute silence when writing... even when I hear people talking outside my room I get distracted and it kinda throws me off my mojo :p

AlexRS

Registered
Reaction score
Oddly enough, I tend to find fast paced electronic music or youtube nightcore videos to be pretty good listening when I'm writing essays for university. It's less a case of actually listening to it and more that it just makes good background music that I can mostly ignore.

cyanideenid

Registered
Reaction score
I'm actually very specific about the music I listen to when I write. I can rarely tolerate lyrics, because I get too distracted and end up doing nothing.

I often have a craving for Brian Eno's Music for Airports, and Yo Yo Ma's Bach Suites. I basically enjoy calm, but engaging (think softly wistful here) ambient music.

Sometimes I even take a walk on the wild side and listen to bluegrass. :)

Heretothere

Introvert Realism
Registered
Reaction score
For the past few weeks, I've been listening to Brad Paisley's "Wheelhouse" CD. Whereas, I usually, just throw it in, hit play and then log into my writing tasks at hand. And, when all the planets line up correctly, and it all goes so well, I find myself becoming oblivious to the music, while the minutes, words, sentences and paragraphs, clip by at a rapid succession.

Yet still, I'm sure, on a subconscious level, my spinning CD is propelling me forward, with inspiration from cool, cleaver, and thoughtfully written and sang lyrics.

Until, and only until, the final and most outstanding song comes across the airwaves, like a final farewell and a happy ending, all combined in one. Until, the next time, I start from the beginning all over again.

So, heck yeah, music moves me...

And as such, is always my not so silent writing partner. :) :)

Kayiin

Mekong giant catfish; Eating People
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.goodreads.com
Goth stuff or old Japanese Visual Rock... that's what I'd like to listen to whilst I write. But for the most part relative silence is necessary. I don't get much of it around here, but I have some earplugs coming in the mail so there's hope.

Seriously I can't even usually ignore boring instrumental stuff when I hear it. :(

Fullon_v4.0

Shard Knight
Registered
Reaction score
Website
rtdriver90.tumblr.com
Hello! When writing I mostly listen to Japanese songs and I usually listen to openings and endings of anime for action/battle scenes.

This, as well as dance/house sets. It fits well because I like to keep stories flowing at a quick and snappy pace. Usually Todd Edwards' music because it isn't like "rave" speed, but just bouncy enough to keep me typing.

tianaluthien

What I do is not up to you
Registered
Reaction score
Website
twitter.com
Depends on the piece, depends on the day. Sometimes post-rock, sometimes classical, rarely anything with words. The right piece of music (on loop, frequently), helps me really get into the flow when the words are stuck.

And sometimes, when the day itself has been too noisy, I need total silence.

snowpea

Registered
Reaction score
a little bit of everything. It depends on the character's personality or the mood of the scene. a lot of punk, rock.

Chase

It Takes All of Us to End Racism
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
:Shrug: Who knew favorite writing music would be of international concern? :D

Last edited:

indwig

I stole your cheeseburger
Registered
Reaction score
I like instrumental songs, or ones in a foreign language, so I can't start singing along to the lyrics and distract myself. And other times, I'll need silence because what I've written makes no sense and I'll correct it by reading it aloud.

Heretothere

Introvert Realism
Registered
Reaction score
What I can't listen to is the radio. As, the commercials annoy me so much, that I have to get up and throw on a CD.

ssbittner

scientist, artist, writer
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.ssbittner.com
It depends on what I'm writing. So I have a lot of Pandora One channels dedicated to various moods.

Thuro

I'm Batman
Registered
Reaction score
I have a small playlist on Grooveshark that helps keep me in the right frame of mind for my WIP. It's pretty cheesy, including The Good, The Bad and The Ugly (a version featuring Yo-Yo Ma on the cello), Short Change Hero (by the Heavy), Prelude to War (from the reimagined Battlestar Galactica soundtrack), Suicide Mission (from Mass Effect 2), and Facade (From Jeckyll & Hyde) among others.

Anything that doesn't fit the narrow mold of songs which set the mental tone will only distract me, so I listen to these songs endlessly

This playlist is a win.

Heretothere

Introvert Realism
Registered
Reaction score
I just read in "On Writing" by Stephen King, that he likes to listen to hard-rock stuff, AC/DC, Guns 'n Roses, and Matallica.

cat_named_easter

Registered
Reaction score
Movie soundtracks - there are some really awesome playlists on youtube that I just have on a loop. Also recently I played the whole Interstellar soundtrack - it's amazing.

corishoe

Registered
Reaction score
Honestly, I find it difficult to listen to music *while* I'm writing, but sometimes when I'm not in the mood to get to work, I'll take a few minutes to listen to the type stuff that pumps me up. Usually that means Green Day, The Killers, Fall Out Boy, Panic at the Disco... bands along those lines... :D

CuddlyClementine

Registered
Reaction score
I have to listen to a very specific playlist, otherwise it just distracts me. Very chilled, usually with vocal chops or other weird stuff.

Stuff like:
Pink Medicine - Bearson
Oh Wonder - Shark
Jaymes Young - Northern Lights
Matt Easton - Live Life
Sangam & Cholombian - Shelter Me