Saks Claims a Legal Right to Discriminate Against Trans Employees

Status
Not open for further replies.

Viridian

local good boy
Registered
Reaction score
Saks has claimed that it has a legal right to discriminate against trans employees based on their trans status. This tactic is quite odd, for two reasons. First, it is morally repulsive.

Saks misgenders Jamal throughout its filings, referring to her as “he” and “him.” Even worse, when Saks quotes Jamal’s own complaint, it adds a stinging “[sic]” after every reference to Jamal as female
Whoa, what the fuck. What a nasty and unnecessary move. What a kick to the face. What a cruel, immature joke. I can't imagine what that woman is going through.

auzerais

I like puppies.
Registered
Reaction score
This case just has my mind completely and thoroughly boggled. I mean, why not just a) lie or b) cover up? Why go for the "oh, we can discriminate, it's legal" angle? I even have this little fantasy going where Saks is doing this on purpose, as a political move to get anti-discrimination laws passed.

Fruitbat

Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
It sounds to me like their attorneys just latched onto a loophole hoping to get the case dismissed, because getting it dismissed in the first place is much easier and cheaper than having to fight it out in court and possibly lose. Bet they didn't consider the backlash they might get from what that particular loophole happened to be.

Last edited:

J.S.F.

Red fish, blue fish...
Registered
Reaction score
What a bunch of a-holes.

Morons. I hope the judge throws the book at them...and then drops a one-ton fine on their sorry asses. This is just...wrong.

Ken

Banned
Kind Benefactor
Reaction score
A store founded by a Jewish person should really not be in the habit of discriminating against others, being no stranger to discrimination themselves:

Andrew Saks was an American businessman.

He was born to a German Jewish family, in Baltimore, Maryland, Saks became a peddlar and paper boy who moved to Washington, D.C. to establish a men's clothing store.[1] He established a successful clothing business in 1867, and opened a store in New York on 34th Street in 1902 as Saks & Company. Andrew Saks ran the New York store as a family affair with his brother Isadore, and his sons Horace and William. Saks married Jennie Rohr and had two sons Horace and William Andrew and daughter Leila Saks.[2]

J.S.F.

Red fish, blue fish...
Registered
Reaction score
Ken, if memory serves, BATUS bought out Saks a number of years ago. I don't know if the new owner is Jewish or not, and I have no idea if the manager of the store down Texas way is Jewish or not. Bringing religion into this, while understandable, is not pertinent, not totally to the conversation. If the owners were Christian, would this make the situation more nauseating or less?

Ken

Banned
Kind Benefactor
Reaction score
One outta two. Not bad. ("understandable, but not pertinent")
Also more indefensible, imo. Just an observation.
Not a value call, even though the suggestion of that is there if sought.
I'm really just focusing on one aspect of the scenario.

As to the scenario in totality, that's a given.
Just plain cruel and mean, no matter what the specifics, based on one common denominator. Humanity. Yes, folks. We are humans. Not animals. Plz make a note of that !

Diana Hignutt

Very Tired
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
I'm getting tired of being discriminated by people who have never met me. Very tired of it.

Cyia

Rewriting My Destiny
Registered
Reaction score
Texas is a "work at will" state. They could have simply laid her off without reason. Pretty much the only way to contest a firing / lay off around here is IF you're given a reason beyond "downsizing."

Saks misgenders Jamal throughout its filings, referring to her as “he” and “him.” Even worse, when Saks quotes Jamal’s own complaint, it adds a stinging “[sic]” after every reference to Jamal as female, as if to assert that Jamal’s identification as a woman is factually incorrect. Saks, then, not only appears to condone discrimination against trans people; it also seems to refuse to accept the validity of a trans identity at all.

Maybe, based on this, someone could toss the case due to misfiling. If every mention of the woman is misgendered, that's a pretty big error for a legal filing.

Roxxsmom

Beastly Fido
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
doggedlywriting.blogspot.com
This case just has my mind completely and thoroughly boggled. I mean, why not just a) lie or b) cover up? Why go for the "oh, we can discriminate, it's legal" angle? I even have this little fantasy going where Saks is doing this on purpose, as a political move to get anti-discrimination laws passed.

Probably. Or to drum up "outrage" on their behalf from the peanut gallery. Or to play into someone's political agenda.

It's completely revolting.

Usher

Registered
Reaction score
I will never understand why a business places petty obstacles in the way of employing the best person for the job. Surely that shoots everyone in the foot.

Status
Not open for further replies.