Not open for further replies.

BenPanced

THE BLUEBERRY QUEEN OF HADES (he/him)
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
lazerprincess.tumblr.com/post/106447705738/suicide-note

http://www.snopes.com/politics/sexuality/leelah.asp

Of course, the local news has erased her memory, probably at the behest of her parents.

Leelah's Tumblr is gone. Thanks to Diana for providing this updated info.

As for my will, I want 100% of the things that I legally own to be sold and the money (plus my money in the bank) to be given to trans civil rights movements and support groups, I don’t give a shit which one. The only way I will rest in peace is if one day transgender people aren’t treated the way I was, they’re treated like humans, with valid feelings and human rights. Gender needs to be taught about in schools, the earlier the better. My death needs to mean something. My death needs to be counted in the number of transgender people who commit suicide this year. I want someone to look at that number and say “that’s fucked up” and fix it. Fix society. Please.
Unfortunately, as a minor, her parents don't have to honor her wishes. (Her mother is milking the "our son was called home to Jesus" angle on Facebook but there's virtually no trace of her. Lots of pictures of her sister but Leelah? If there were any, I didn't see them.)

Last edited:

Maryn

Sees All
Staff member
Super Moderator
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Oh, God. That poor girl!

Anyone who cares to can donate (perhaps in her name?) to the National Center for Transgender Equality or another non-profit which exists to provide support and advocate for trans people.

Her mother's insistence that she present herself to the world as something she is not probably played a part in her ending her life. So very sad.

Maryn, heartbroken

nealraisman

tenured at Mammon U
Registered
Reaction score
This is heartbreaking that she would be so set against that death was the only way out. What the hell is the matter with us? Why can't we accept others as they are and not deny them basic humanity.

Viridian

local good boy
Registered
Reaction score
Wow. Heartbreaking, indeed. That poor girl.

It's so frustrating that even after killing herself -- even after that blog post, after years of insisting she was who she was -- her awful mother continues to refer to her as a boy. What horrific disrespect.

I wish we lived in a society where trans people didn't have to go through this.

Diana Hignutt

Very Tired
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
AAAAAAAAAGHHHHHHH! NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!

If only I could have talked to her.

Well, I'll spend the rest of the day sobbing....

Maryn

Sees All
Staff member
Super Moderator
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
It's high time trans adults started a targeted it-gets-better campaign. Kids like Leelah need to have hope that if they can just stick it out, they can escape hate-filled environments and find places where they are accepted, encouraged, and will flourish.

Maryn, unable to grasp how a parent can be so cruel

Diana Hignutt

Very Tired
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
It's high time trans adults started a targeted it-gets-better campaign. Kids like Leelah need to have hope that if they can just stick it out, they can escape hate-filled environments and find places where they are accepted, encouraged, and will flourish.

Maryn, unable to grasp how a parent can be so cruel

I did before such things became fashionable. I was reviled for it, denounced, had funds raised against our rights by the Traditional Values Coalition. I responded by writing this story, which I hold all rights to (though it was published in Transgender Tapestry ten years ago):

http://www.ifge.org/?q=node/211

Now I feel I need to step back into the fray. I feel like I let Leelah down. I feel like shit. No more dead trans kids. No more.

Maryn

Sees All
Staff member
Super Moderator
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
I see other trans adults on Twitter offering one-on-one support to any trans people (especially teens) who need support. Maybe you can add your voice there without causing so much personal hatred to land directly on you. Use #RealLiveTransAdult to join the others.

Maryn, sick about this

Morgan_R

they/them
Registered
Reaction score
...this makes me so sad and angry. I wish I felt like there was something meaningful I could do.

Diana Hignutt

Very Tired
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
I see other trans adults on Twitter offering one-on-one support to any trans people (especially teens) who need support. Maybe you can add your voice there without causing so much personal hatred to land directly on you. Use #RealLiveTransAdult to join the others.

Maryn, sick about this

I'll look into it. Or maybe, I'll just take the hate on.

Diana Hignutt

Very Tired
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
BTW, in my opinion this story should also be posted in P&CE, as sadly just not that many people come here to this room, and those that do are all allies or members of the community. I'll ask a mod...

kuwisdelu

Revolutionize the World
Registered
Reaction score
I never know what to say for this kind of thing.

It's heartbreaking. Makes me feel helpless when I want to do something.

Ken

Banned
Kind Benefactor
Reaction score
ah, so sad. a lesson here for us ALL.

Actions have consequences. Be unpleasant or mean to someone and you may push them over the brink.

Something to consider.

rip

Last edited:

Viridian

local good boy
Registered
Reaction score
I wish I had known her, and I wish I could've been part of her support network.

I tend to be less social -- kind of an "I can take care of myself, you can take care of yourself" mentality -- but obviously there are people who need more support than others.

She could've been such a great adult. And now that's gone, and I doubt the people who drove her to suicide will change their bigoted beliefs. "My son went to Jesus" -- seriously, fuck that woman.

All the more reason to have LGBT representation in books. Change people by making them empathize with LGBT characters. Casual entertainment can have a larger effect on someone than all the serious discussion in the world, because casual entertainment can normalize something.

BenPanced

Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
And as the standard when you're trying to rewrite reality online, Mom is systematically deleting any Facebook comments that go against her version of the story.

Leelah's story has haunted me all day. Just felt so sad and empty.

BTW, in my opinion this story should also be posted in P&CE, as sadly just not that many people come here to this room, and those that do are all allies or members of the community. I'll ask a mod...
Thank you! *ties down china and larger furniture in anticipation of thread move*

Last edited:

Diana Hignutt

Very Tired
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
And as the standard when you're trying to rewrite reality online, Mom is systematically deleting any Facebook comments that go against her version of the story.

Leelah's story has haunted me all day. Just felt so sad and empty.

Thank you! *ties down china and larger furniture in anticipation of thread move*

I asked. We'll see what happens. I read the whole blog. I want to go all Magento of her parents so bad...

ETA: I just copied yours and gave you credit. I think they want to leave this one down here too...

Last edited:

slhuang

Inappropriately math-oriented.
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.slhuang.com
I have no words.

Unfortunately, as a minor, her parents don't have to honor her wishes. (Her mother is milking the "our son was called home to Jesus" angle on Facebook but there's virtually no trace of her. Lots of pictures of her sister but Leelah? If there were any, I didn't see them.)

I was so confused by this for a moment and thought you were talking about three separate siblings. The fact that the mother is still referring to a son . . .

No words.

Calliea

Hush, hush...
Registered
Reaction score
News like this make me sick and depressed. I just cannot wrap my head around reasoning that drives those people, and that complete lack of any empathy whatsoever. I can't believe parents like that still will say they loved their child and pray for them. Fuck that, I just can't. If you love someone you don't push them into misery, no matter how difficult their problems are for you to understand. Just no. You TRY. And then try again. And if you can't understand it, then just accept it. That's love.

BenPanced

Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
News like this make me sick and depressed. I just cannot wrap my head around reasoning that drives those people, and that complete lack of any empathy whatsoever. I can't believe parents like that still will say they loved their child and pray for them. Fuck that, I just can't. If you love someone you don't push them into misery, no matter how difficult their problems are for you to understand. Just no. You TRY. And then try again. And if you can't understand it, then just accept it. That's love.
And if you can't understand it, for pity's sake there is a host of resources out there that might be able to help. Christ, that's one of the beautiful things about the internet.
For completeness I'll include a link to the change.org petition to have Leelah's Law passed, a ban on transgender conversion therapy:

https://www.change.org/p/president-o...t_created=true

If you want to help, signing the petition could be a place to start.
Sharing out on Facebook.

Status
Not open for further replies.