I am really struggling to get started with freelancing. Any advice?

Katalyst

practical experience, FTW
Registered
Reaction score
Hi guys,

So I have a fair bit of time of as a I am a student. I'm would love to get started as an online freelance writer. I have been looking for websites to write for and am coming up mostly empty.

I have a couple of clips from a magazine I have written for but they seem useless as I have not been published online. I have a website with examples on it and I know I can write, at least well enough for most websites. Any suggestions on finding work?

Thanks in advance.

Angie

Shaddup and lemme think.
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.tranquiligeek.com
Your best bet is to market your services to businesses or learn how to properly pitch magazines -- that's where the best money in freelancing is.

That said, this post on Make a Living Writing has over 100 sites that pay writers, usually at a minimum of $50 per blog post.

I'd also recommend checking out some decent freelance books - the Step by Step Guide to Freelance Writing Success is a great start. It'll help you with landing your first few business or magazine gigs. You could also look for Peter Bowerman's The Well-Fed Writer or Jenna Glatzer's Make a Real Living as a Freelance Writer.

One thing I do NOT recommend is signing on with any content mills (sites that want you to write 500-word articles for $5 - 25). Those sites don't tend to generate good clips that can lead to better work, and you'll have to grind away to make any kind of money at them. Better to find good clients in the first place.

Last edited:

WriterBN

Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.k-doyle.com
Excellent advice from Angie, especially about content mills. I also liked Bowerman's book when I read it some years ago.

If you want more clips, consider doing some volunteer writing for charities. Many of them have newsletters and web content, and would probably welcome some freelance help.

Katalyst

practical experience, FTW
Registered
Reaction score
Thanks Angie, I bought the book you recommended.

As for the website you linked to, I have stumbled across that before but I have trouble figuring whether or not those websites are spam or actually good information.

Thanks for your help

Angie

Shaddup and lemme think.
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.tranquiligeek.com
You can trust links on Make a Living Writing - Carol Tice is very careful about the advice she gives freelancers, and what links she sends them to.

Oasiskid

Registered
Reaction score
I feel your pain. I'm trying to become a freelancer too. I've struggled a lot the last 2 or 3 years. I can't seem to get started. Good luck to you.

Jwriter

Going places
Registered
Reaction score
What are you good at? What do you know? Somewhere, there's a magazine or an organization that specializes in that thing. Start with your best strengths.

kdaniel171

Banned
Spammer
Reaction score
Hi guys,

So I have a fair bit of time of as a I am a student. I'm would love to get started as an online freelance writer. I have been looking for websites to write for and am coming up mostly empty.

I have a couple of clips from a magazine I have written for but they seem useless as I have not been published online. I have a website with examples on it and I know I can write, at least well enough for most websites. Any suggestions on finding work?

Thanks in advance.

I understand you so much. It's the problem of all freelance beginners.
But don't despair! Reveal and focus on your forte.
Maybe at first you should sign for a low paid job to get the experience
and rate on the site.

Wrenware

Registered
Reaction score
If you want more clips, consider doing some volunteer writing for charities. Many of them have newsletters and web content, and would probably welcome some freelance help.

Chiming in to second this idea; I think it's a sound strategy for building an online footprint, especially if you can find a particular charitable cause that you feel passionate about promoting