Meet Magic: The Gathering's first Trans character!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Zoombie

Dragon of the Multiverse
Registered
Reaction score
So, I used to play Magic...and I always found the background story (the "fluff" it is called in nerd-talk) way more interesting than the gameplay. I mean, the fluff is about dimension wandering wizards who summon armies and do battle with spells and such.

>.> The game is just cards.

ANYWHO

http://kotaku.com/meet-magic-the-ga..._source=Kotaku_Facebook&utm_medium=Socialflow

One of those cards now has a transgendered character!

Wizards of the Coast recently added yet another entry to its years-spanning story tome with Alesha, Who Smiles at Death. Her card is part of the recently released Fate Reforged set, and her story weaves together the culture of her battle-baptized clan (which she leads) and her own identity. It's pretty well done, despite the fact that it very much reads like Another Fantasy Story.

The short version is, Alesha's clan allows its members to pick their own names, but only after glorious feats in battle. Many of the clan's members are orcs and other species given to copious brain-smashing. So they tend to pick names that reflect, you know, murder. But Alesha decides to take a very different, much more personal approach...

And she picks her grandmother's name.

So, yeah.

Props!

Awesome!

Baller!

Brutal Mustang

Loves interplanetary chaos.
Registered
Reaction score
Cool. I'm a fan of Donato Giancola, who paints some of these. I've learned a lot from him this year, and have been able to apply what I've learned to my own paintings.

Status
Not open for further replies.