Cosplay!

harmonyisarine

Registered
Reaction score
Thanks, guys. In good news, I did dash around as an awesome Chell. I didn't have cake but I did have fresh creme brulee (made with eggs from our own chickens), so that's... close? I did decide that I'll need to schedule a photoshoot with her and, oh darn, I'll have to bring the cake with me.

In bad news, I do not yet have a refund from the airline. Continuing to try.

And Strawberrii, don't worry about size in cosplay! Just have fun, and anyone who cares otherwise isn't worth listening to. Just this February I cosplayed Fire Nation Katara for a con. It was right after I'd mystery-gained 25 or so pounds and the costume showed my stomach. I was super nervous, but made sure the costume fit in a way that made me happy and no one even noticed.

If you're really uncomfortable, to the point where you couldn't have fun but really want to cosplay, small alterations are more than understandable. Just adjusting the shape or fit of things can really help with confidence, and unique takes on characters are some of the most enthusiastically received.

Filigree

Mildly Disturbing
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.cranehanabooks.com
Late to this, but fully in support of open cosplay. I've seen some fairly hefty people of all gender presentations do some *amazing* costuming. At some levels cosplay can be about precise-as-possible copies of the original material...but a huge part of the experience is simply costuming for the love.

I *never* appear as anyone from a known source. I always do hall costumes, not competitions, and I always wear some off the wall thing I made up and cobbled together. It's more fun that way for me.

In more current news, I has a sad: found a perfect pair of paramilitary-looking gray canvas and leather boots yesterday for $7...one size too small. They're constructed in such a way that I can't stretch them. :cry:

CoffeeBeans

Registered
Reaction score
I think uncomfortable shoes are the bane of my cosplay life. Last year's crazy stacked heels to make me tower appropriately as Brienne of Tarth (I'm already 5'11, but why not be 6'4?) left half of my foot was numb for two days.

Doing a group cosplay for Big Hero Six. Why oh why must Honey Lemon have crazy footwear?

harmonyisarine

Registered
Reaction score
Now that I am done with a non-cosplay job (5 bridesmaids dresses, hand dyeing all 25 yards of silk in a 30quart stock pot (not all at once), in only a month... and that's without all the problems and non-related emergencies that cropped up), I not only get to return to AW but I also get to start my cosplay work! I've hired a sewing manager who, so far, is really keeping on my case, and we hope to clear my backlog and open officially for commissions by the end of summer. To this end, I will begin to once again compete in the cosplay contests.

Tonight, I begin shopping for Saber from Fate Zero. I only have to decide if I'm going for a straight screen accurate attempt for the Master's category, or for a more personalized and intricate attempt for the Craftsman's category. Masters would see a simple blue silk or maybe a tone-on-tone brocade, with a hand-dyed low immersion piece for the center and a plain hoop skirt with gold beads at the lacy edge. Craftsman would be definitely tone-on-tone brocade with hand-set crystal or beadery details, with a layered dye resist technique built up in a symbol relevant to Saber for the center piece, and the white underskirt would be a satin with burnout technique to fade in and form the lacy edge.

So torn.

greendragon

Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.greendragonartist.com
I have finally learned that, while I CAN sew, I HATE to sew. So (pun intended) I am outsourcing my sewing to other talented friends who are willing to take jewelry I make in exchange for their hard work. Thus I have a Catelyn Stark dress (with fur!) and a Viking outfit for Dragoncon this year. I still have my poorly-made Monty Python Inquisitor garb :)

harmonyisarine

Registered
Reaction score
I hate sewing with a burning passion, but I'm really good at it and really picky about my fit and fiber. For instance, I once made a Catelyn Stark! Tea dyed crinkle cotton chemise (and that is a weird neckline), with wool-blend kirtle-based outer layers and cloak, and I used some fur I'd been given to construct the shape of her cloak animal. My Avatar Water Tribe costumes are all wool and linen, being tundra-based, and I keep picking costumes or outfits lately that give me excuses to work with silk. It's just so nice to look at!

My favorite was the Fullmetal Alchemist military uniforms. I used 20oz Melton wool, as that's what uniforms were made of in the early 1900s (and sort of even now, depending on where and what). We made these for a summer con. Everyone melted. I'd do it again in a heartbeat. My other victims might not. XD

Orianna2000

Freelance Writer
Registered
Reaction score
Off to DragonCon tomorrow!

I was hoping to have a Jedi costume this year, but I didn't get beyond the fashion sketching stage. I've got a Steampunk outfit assembled (same as last year's), which is about 50% sewed and 50% bought. I plan to wear the corset and shrug with jeans one day, for a more casual look, and the whole shebang (skirt, petticoat, bustled overskirt, and Victorian boots) on another day. Also, new for this year, I put together a Star Trek outfit, which, sadly, is all purchased elements. I wouldn't have done it, except I found the cutest uniform dress on Amazon and I couldn't resist. It's the blue medical/science uniform, but made as a skater's dress, with a high waist and a short skirt. (Looks like a cross between classic Trek and Next Generation.) I'm pairing it with black pants, because I'm not brave enough to wear that short of a skirt, even at DragonCon! The rank pips and communicator badge are screen-printed, which looks a bit cheesy . . . I would have pinned real ones on top of the screen-printed ones, but I didn't have time to order them this year. Next year, for sure!

harmonyisarine

Registered
Reaction score
I couldn't find a general sewing thread, but this fits here as well.

My favorite online fabric store, Dharma Trading, has finally expanded into colored fabric! I really prefer using natural fabrics whenever possible (for comfort as well as to reduce microplastic litter) and Dharma's been my favorite source for cotton, silk, and rayon for awhile now. Especially silk and rayon, since they have so many weaves and their prices are good. Only problem was that you had to do the dyeing, which I've gotten very good at but still can take days if I'm doing a big project with multiple outfits. Now they have colored silk! 30 colors and only in three weaves (crepe back satin, 8mm habotai and a chiffon, forget what weight that one was). I got my swatches of all the weaves and colors yesterday and they are so beautiful, and I don't have to do the dyeing. I'm already planning too many things. I want all the yardage.

And Orianna, I hope DragonCon was awesome. That dress looks super adorable, and I'm glad to hear I'm not the only one to wear corset and jeans as a "casual" look. XD

Orianna2000

Freelance Writer
Registered
Reaction score
My favorite online fabric store, Dharma Trading, has finally expanded into colored fabric! I really prefer using natural fabrics whenever possible (for comfort as well as to reduce microplastic litter) and Dharma's been my favorite source for cotton, silk, and rayon for awhile now. Especially silk and rayon, since they have so many weaves and their prices are good. Only problem was that you had to do the dyeing, which I've gotten very good at but still can take days if I'm doing a big project with multiple outfits. Now they have colored silk! 30 colors and only in three weaves (crepe back satin, 8mm habotai and a chiffon, forget what weight that one was). I got my swatches of all the weaves and colors yesterday and they are so beautiful, and I don't have to do the dyeing. I'm already planning too many things. I want all the yardage.

That's good to know! I love working with silk habotai, but it can be hard to find good quality, affordable silk on eBay or Etsy. I'll have to check the new colors out! I do need some white habotai for a doll-sized Victorian dressing gown I'm planning, but colors would be nice, too.

And Orianna, I hope DragonCon was awesome. That dress looks super adorable, and I'm glad to hear I'm not the only one to wear corset and jeans as a "casual" look. XD
DragonCon was pretty great. I didn't get to wear my full Steampunk costume, because I ended up having to take one day off to rest, and that happened to be the day I was planning to wear the Steampunk costume. I did get to wear the corset and jeans, though! And the Star Trek dress. And after I got home, I wore my Steampunk costume to the American Sewing Guild's monthly meeting. I brought along the doll version I'd made, too, which was a hoot! A few of the ladies already knew what Steampunk was, including a couple of elderly gals, which really surprised me.

harmonyisarine

Registered
Reaction score
I've been doing Renfaires and corseting for years and Steampunk still intimidates the crap out of me. It seems like such a full and rich subculture that I don't want to just... take the trappings, you know? But I love seeing it! Do you mind posting a pic (or a link to one)? Totally understand if you don't want to.

And I've got the full color swatch pack for the habotai, so if you want side-by-side shots of any of their colors just let me know. I know some people can just put it all together in their minds but I much prefer seeing them.

CoffeeBeans

Registered
Reaction score
Orianna, I cannot imagine how cute a matching doll is. I too wish there were pics!

Harmony, I <3 steampunk, but I don't think you have too much to worry about in a "trappings" way. The trappings are a big part, and the subculture is still being written.

I've been waist-deep in con prep this month. I am down to my last few items. I need to buy and paint shoes, finish my dad's cape, and test-wear my WTNV outfit.

Last night, I finally finished my dad's Magneto helmet. It might be the coolest piece I've ever worked on, just thanks to how cool the original blank was. I've been tweeting my progress, so here's a pic

Orianna2000

Freelance Writer
Registered
Reaction score
Argh! I had an entire post written with all the photos, and it somehow deleted it, not once, but three times. Let's try this yet again. . . .

I'd rather not post a photo of me wearing the costume, since I only have one picture from DragonCon and it's not the best quality. However, I don't mind posting photos of the costume on my dress form. Just to clarify, I purchased the skirt and corset, but I made the petticoat, knit jersey shrug, and bustled overskirt. (I'm planning to make a new corset to go with this costume, because the one I bought is extremely cheap.) Since you're required to display your convention badge at all times, I made a coordinating lanyard out of grosgrain and velvet ribbon. I made the dragonfly brooch to go with the dragonfly pocket watch. And for the hat, I took a straw hat form and covered it with flannel and taffeta, then embellished it with ribbon, feathers, and antique lace.

I also have photos of the matching doll costume. (It's a 22-inch American Model doll by Tonner.) I drafted and sewed the entire outfit, including lace-trimmed drawers and petticoat, tiered skirt, bustled overskirt, shrug, and two-toned corset (fully boned, with tiny hand-bound lacing eyelets). It was so much fun! Probably my favorite of all the doll costumes I've made.

Steampunk Costume

Steampunk Doll Costume

CoffeeBeans

Registered
Reaction score
So fab, Orianna! Both yours and your doll's!

I have never thought to make special arrangements for the lanyard. That's really clever.

I just spent too much money on a pair of shoes for a cosplay because I've been dawdling on making a choice, and now the price is hiked for Halloween. That's what I get for being indecisive.

Orianna2000

Freelance Writer
Registered
Reaction score
Thanks, CoffeeBeans! I made the matching lanyard because all I could think was how a black/purple or blue/yellow "sci-fi" lanyard was going to ruin the look of the whole costume.

Orianna2000

Freelance Writer
Registered
Reaction score
Hmm. Interesting idea, but it would be a challenge to figure out. Sometimes they put extra stickers on, if you need disability services, or ribbons, for participating in workshops. The badge would have to be easy to pop in and out, for sticker placement, and I'm not sure it would work if you had a ribbon hanging from the bottom. Still, it might be worth experimenting with!

Filigree

Mildly Disturbing
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.cranehanabooks.com
Some ideas here (Google search). I'd probably ask the convention ahead of time what form factor they were using, so I could get a better handle on what to do. I'm thinking a tooled leather frame with a snap-strap across the back, maybe an open bottom for ribbons, and a fold-out Tyvek page for stickers.

It's all nearly moot for me, since I've about decided I will never be able to afford a large con again.

tiakall

*lurk*
Registered
Reaction score
I am not a sewer or a big crafter - I prefer doing thrift-store cosplay. But I really, really wanted to cosplay from my favorite manga (Basara) so I'm finally doing the Sarasa cosplay I've always wanted to do. (That I've lost 120 pounds in the last year and thus would no longer look like crap in it has also pushed this decision.) This required making a poncho, hand and foot wraps, a belt with two pouches, and a headband all by hand. Now all I need to do is find a stuffed owl and a fake plastic katana (which I may get at the con itself this weekend.)

greendragon

Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.greendragonartist.com
I don't think DC is doing ribbons any longer. This year my art show stuff was a sticker, not a ribbon. Your steampunk do is beautiful, Orianna! Hope you enjoyed DC - I did! Next year I probably won't be at DC (first miss in 14 years!) because I am applying as a vendor to the Pittsburgh Renaissance Festival. That's six weekends long, and involves Cosplay, too :)

harmonyisarine

Registered
Reaction score
Orianna, that's a beautiful costume and I love the little doll version (and her posing to show off the petticoat)! And those pleats on the shrug and the bustle of the overskirt made my heart go all aflutter. I'm still finessing my pleating skills, and while I understand the theory behind beautiful bustles, I've never had the opportunity to try them.

My con lanyard is a silver and orange chainmaille piece a friend made for me. It doesn't match my costumes but it's enough of a statement lanyard that it tends to work out anyway.

because I am applying as a vendor to the Pittsburgh Renaissance Festival

The Pittsburgh Faire is not too far from me! You'll have to let me know if you get a vendor spot next year.

And, to be fair, I think I'll have to get some photos of my renfaire garb (still in progress but finally recognizable as a classy pirate) posted here. The fabric for her sailor-pants just shipped, so I'll get a few good shots once those are made!