MG Sci-Fi

Status
Not open for further replies.

Christracy19

Registered
Reaction score
I'm currently working on a YA Sci-fi in like the ten to twelve sort of range? The concept is a bit outlandish for mainstream so i wanted to go with self publishing.

Only problem is i've heard there isn't much of a market for younger kids when it comes to online sales. Since most of them don't buy their own books.

You guys have any advice? Much appreciated.

Last edited:

cornflake

practical experience, FTW
Registered
Reaction score
I'm currently working on a YA Sci-fi in like the ten to twelve sort of range? The concept is a bit outlandish for mainstream so i wanted to go with self publishing.

Only problem is i've heard there isn't much of a market for younger kids when it comes to online sales. Since most of them don't buy their own books.

Do you mean ten to 12-year-old reader range? That's not YA, it's MG. No, there's not a very large MG ebook market, as far as I've read, for the reason you state.

How do you mean outlandish?

Christracy19

Registered
Reaction score
Do you mean ten to 12-year-old reader range? That's not YA, it's MG. No, there's not a very large MG ebook market, as far as I've read, for the reason you state.

How do you mean outlandish?

Sort of a kids version of hitchhikers guide to the galaxy? With a bit more of a fantasy element to it.

cornflake

practical experience, FTW
Registered
Reaction score
Sort of a kids version of hitchhikers guide to the galaxy? With a bit more of a fantasy element to it.

I assume you don't mean in any way tied to the actual HG. Why would that be outlandish?

Christracy19

Registered
Reaction score
I assume you don't mean in any way tied to the actual HG. Why would that be outlandish?

No not actually tied to HG. But I guess it's not that bad, I just had someone who read it telling me it was outlandish and hard to sell to a younger audience (It involves flying pirate ships, a talking monkey, and toaster messages.)

Samsonet

Just visiting
Registered
Reaction score
(It involves flying pirate ships, a talking monkey, and toaster messages.)

This would be perfect to sell to a younger audience. Don't think that trade publishers won't accept it for being "weird" -- a lot of people are looking specifically for weird books! It's just a matter of finding the right path for the book... Good luck!

Last edited:

TheZenofLinda

Benefactor Member
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Beware of following the advice of a single person, IMHO! We all have particular points of view based on our experience, which might or not apply to you. The nice thing about Absolute Write is you can get many different points of view -- but even then you should go with your gut. You only have to read the histories of rejection of some of the greatest books to see that one person's opinion is not the final arbiter.

I, too, think your story sounds like great fun for a MG reader. I say Write On! and give mainstream publishing a go before you decide to self publish.

Mclesh

It's too hot
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.storyrhyme.com

Did you ever read The Phantom Tollbooth? That was a favorite of mine. It's pretty out there. :D

Middle grade is a tough category, but if your book is unique and well written, you may have a success on your hands. I, for one, would be all over the toaster messages. :D

Status
Not open for further replies.