The Fellowship Cafe

ohthatmomagain

writing, working, weeping, winning
Registered
Reaction score
Good luck!

ETA: I haven't heard of them. Are they an agency or a publisher?

publisher. They are a branch off of White Rose and Harbourlight. Their first books will come out October 2013.

Has anyone had any dealings with White Rose or Harbourlight? (I know inspiewriter is being published by White Rose)

K. Victoria Chase

Registered
Reaction score
Website
torilounge.blogspot.com
publisher. They are a branch off of White Rose and Harbourlight. Their first books will come out October 2013.

Has anyone had any dealings with White Rose or Harbourlight? (I know inspiewriter is being published by White Rose)

About how long did they take to respond to you after using the online submission form (if you used it)?

K. Victoria Chase

Registered
Reaction score
Website
torilounge.blogspot.com
I did, a few days ago. This is the third time and the first using their online form. No email confirmation, just the 'we got it' notification online. Their turnaround time was about 2-3 weeks when I queried before so it's great they are still quick. Thank you!

ohthatmomagain

Registered
Reaction score
I did, a few days ago. This is the third time and the first using their online form. No email confirmation, just the 'we got it' notification online. Their turnaround time was about 2-3 weeks when I queried before so it's great they are still quick. Thank you!

You are a writing machine! :) Wow. Did they turn you down the other 2 times or did you just go to another publisher?

K. Victoria Chase

Registered
Reaction score
Website
torilounge.blogspot.com
I got the longest form rejection (the one that listed the 10 possible reasons why they reject stories) both times. One MS I'm going to re-work and the other is being released by Astraea Press in August!

I read that to make any real money as a e/self-pug, an author needs to release a title every 4-6 months. I'll have three out this year. :)

ohthatmomagain

Registered
Reaction score
I subbed to Astraea Thursday. I'm still hoping this little book has a home somewhere.

My goal is to write 2 books a year. I might need to re-evaluate that.

K. Victoria Chase

Registered
Reaction score
Website
torilounge.blogspot.com
I subbed to Astraea Thursday. I'm still hoping this little book has a home somewhere.

My goal is to write 2 books a year. I might need to re-evaluate that.

I subbed on May 16th and was offered a contract on May 23rd, so hopefully, you'll be hearing something soon. :)

Oh, and yeah, I'd re-evaluate. ;-)

The_Riskbreaker

knows bears make everything worse
Registered
Reaction score
I think that shockandawe is probably thinking somewhere along the lines of what i've been dealing with. Does Christian Fiction involve stories with action, or guns, or crimes? Is Chr. Fic. only romance novels. I mean, I get catalogs from ChristianBook.net and the vast majority of books I see are romance novels, with a good swarth of those being Amish/Frontier novels. You do see stuff from Bower, Dekker, Blackstock, etc... But because you don't see a lot of it which make some people think it doesn't exist.

However, much like the Christian Rock i listen to offers a change from the accapella hymns, there are alternatives to the "Will Gracie fall for James despite their conflicted interests?". Writing my current novel i've wondered if it'll be rejected by a Christian Publishers because of it's content. No i don't swear, and don't talk about the intricate nature of blood pooling from a wound. But people get shot and die, some people are totured. It reads like a modern day Hebrews 11 at some points. Good guys try to get somewhere, and the bad guys do their best to stop them.

I should probably search this section to see if there's a topic on how far is too far.

Deb Kinnard

Banned
Flounced
Reaction score
Website
www.debkinnard.com
No, C-fic is not just romance novels. Do not let yourself be fooled by all those tiresome bonnet books!

Check out Perretti or Brandylynn Collins or some of the others. I don't read either one of these, but Randy Ingermansen, Michelle Levigne, John Robinson, Brandt Dodson, Richard Mabry. Our Calla doesn't write romance!!

Many of the C-fic women authors write suspense, I don't read those, but I hear some of them are quite good. I don't avoid them because I'm hyperconservative, but because it's just not my thing.

That's why one of the bigger authors' groups, the ACFW (American Christian Fiction Writers) changed its name from American Christian Romance Writers. They wanted to embrace writers in the Christian market but who wrote in other genres.

Calla Lily

On hiatus
Staff member
Super Moderator
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.aliceloweecey.net
Agreed on the above, Deb, but me. I don't write C-fic. :) I write mainstream. I dropped my membership in ACFW years ago. They're much too narrow for what I want to write.

Although, when I was just starting out, the one ACFW conference I went to was a tremendous help in showing me the ropes.

Fabor

practical experience, FTW
Registered
Reaction score
Washington state of the United States, Earth, in t
It's good to read everyone's experiences on here. I've been working on getting publicity and publishing figured out. It's take a toll on my writing. Getting closer to epublishing my first novel/book.

Gravity

Seen 'em come, seen 'em go
Registered
Reaction score
Once you've heard the truth, everything else is ju
No, C-fic is not just romance novels. Do not let yourself be fooled by all those tiresome bonnet books!

Check out Perretti or Brandylynn Collins or some of the others. I don't read either one of these, but Randy Ingermansen, Michelle Levigne, John Robinson, Brandt Dodson, Richard Mabry. Our Calla doesn't write romance!!

Many of the C-fic women authors write suspense, I don't read those, but I hear some of them are quite good. I don't avoid them because I'm hyperconservative, but because it's just not my thing.

That's why one of the bigger authors' groups, the ACFW (American Christian Fiction Writers) changed its name from American Christian Romance Writers. They wanted to embrace writers in the Christian market but who wrote in other genres.

Thanks for the shout-out, Deb! That was very kind. :)

Robin Bayne

~writes for Him~
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.robinbayne.com

Pelican Book Group owns White Rose and Harborlight. They are excellent to deal with!:)

Calla Lily

On hiatus
Staff member
Super Moderator
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.aliceloweecey.net
Zombie forum arise! *lightning and thunder*

Don't know if any of y'all are at the ACFW Conference, but one of the sweetest people I know just got her first publishing contract there!

The one ACFW conference I attended, B@rbour awarded a contract at the opening ceremony. I think they said it's a tradition. :Thumbs:

David Poellot

Registered
Reaction score
Yeah, this thing died. I'm glad you were the one to resurrect it. Recently, I've started writing again. I spent several months reading books on writing, then began a long outlining process. Now, I'm ready to write and have written most of this week.

Calla Lily

On hiatus
Staff member
Super Moderator
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.aliceloweecey.net
Sounds good, David.

My YA got no love on sub round 2, so my agent gave me changes based on another read by him and editor comments. I like some things he wants changed, but I'll like a publishing contract more. He'd tell me if it was time to trunk the book--he's said that for other books. So... revisions ahoy!

I spent a week reading up on the Roman Colosseum, gladiator battles and Caligula. Such a charming man, he was. :eyeroll: Now I'm ready to attack this puppy.

Deb Kinnard

Banned
Flounced
Reaction score
Website
www.debkinnard.com
You go, Calla!

I'm hearing disquieting things reported from the conference goers at ACFW. We'll see what shakes out. I'm increasingly not feeling the love as far as their governance goes -- the last people they seem to want input from is their paid membership.

Will report more as I learn more.

David Poellot

Registered
Reaction score
That is disappointing. I really need to hear positive feedback, as I continue to think that I need to start looking at regularly attending conferences, if I plan to be a published writer someday. I've never been to one, but I think I need to explore that avenue for the sake of my hopeful career.

K. Victoria Chase

Registered
Reaction score
Website
torilounge.blogspot.com
Good for you, David! It's great to get writing after a dry spell, huh?

I hope this round of subs goes well for you, Calla. I actually like revisions after having done one for LI. It was great to change the story up a bit.

Interesting Deb. Please let us know. I plan on letting my membership expire this year. :)

Deb Kinnard

Banned
Flounced
Reaction score
Website
www.debkinnard.com
Reports are filtering in from those who attended conference. Apparently an individual will be hired as Executive Director very soon. This decision was announced as part of the president's address during the banquet. No reason was given other than that the group has grown beyond expectations and paid staff is necessary.

Reading between the lines: the individual is not very friendly nor greatly liked amongst the membership. She resents questions and is snippy if she does respond to them. The important part is that she's very well liked by the non-elected Board, and--well--you do the math.

David, there are many C-fic conferences such as Mt. Hermon, Blue Ridge Writers', and the Oregon conferences, that wouldn't require you to join ACFW. Also, the various chapter conferences around the US do not require membership to attend.

Me, I'm still mulling. It's disconcerting to realize that I dropped out of RWA because a C-fic e-book writer didn't seem to belong, and now I seem not to fit in ACFW either.

(humming a few bars of "There's a Place for Us")