The Novel Challenge Hub

Aggy B.

Not as sweet as you think
Registered
Reaction score
BErye: Actually, it's okay to have scenes from the POV of a secondary character. But in general, your chapters should be working to tell the story of the central character (whether it's seen through his/her eyes or someone elses).

My novel has a primary MC and a secondary MC (whose storyline intersects, compliments, and counterpoints the primary MC). I also have a (shelved) novel with two MCs who split the narrative between them. But the story is still focused on one of them.

So, you don't have to stick to just one POV (even in first person, but then you'd better be sure the voices are distinctive), just stick with one overall story. :)

acelticdream

Just me ... dreaming and writing.
Registered
Reaction score
Aggie,

Your response helps a lot actually. Thank you SO much!

Basically, I can integrate the POV of the 2nd detective, but his not be as dominate as the main detective's POV. Ok, got it. This could work ... will give more dynamic to the overall story.

Ok ... this works ... good.

Sorry - you would have thought I had it all worked out before starting the story, but no ... many new ideas have popped up since ... altering not the whole of my original story, but altering who does what (who's the suspects, the killer, etc) and altering some clues.

This has delayed me in typing out the whole story, but that is alright. If I don't get the ground work laid out correctly, especially in the first 50 or so pages, then I will get so confused later on in keeping track of clues and suspects, regardless of the murder board and all the note cards I have. *grins*

I just REALLY hope I haven't gone overboard on all this. I'm kind of mixing modern day police procedural with a throw-back to the old sleuths (jammed pack with clues, red herrings, suspects, drama).

Aggy B.

Not as sweet as you think
Registered
Reaction score
Aggie,

Your response helps a lot actually. Thank you SO much!

Sorry - you would have thought I had it all worked out before starting the story, but no ... many new ideas have popped up since ... altering not the whole of my original story, but altering who does what (who's the suspects, the killer, etc) and altering some clues.

Don't worry about it. Every scene I write tends to open up new possibilities in where my novel goes. Even when I think I have it all laid out ahead of time. :)

Izz

Doing the Space Operatic
Staff member
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.justgoodfiction.com
Nice going, peeps! :e2cheer:

I've just about finished the mad dash that has been getting issue #2 of Comets and Criminals ready to rock. The full editions (kindle, epub, pdf) have been released (early, too!) and tomorrow all i need to do is get all the content onto the site and timed for release over the quarter. And then i can get onto novel writing! There shall be many words. Many!

soapdish

writing
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Go, Izz!

Started the Novel Challenge today. Aimed for 500 words, got 700. Not fabulous ones, but they are words. I'm feeling pretty decent about this so far. :D

acelticdream

Just me ... dreaming and writing.
Registered
Reaction score
bettielee - congrats on 2K a day! I can't wait til you finish the Vampire Baron ... am very interested in that one. =)

I've been doing house cleaning, taking down Christmas decorations, etc. Depending on how much pain my back will be in tonight, I will try to do some writing tonight. If not, then tomorrow definitely. Plus, it doesn't hurt to take a day break every few days. I had been doing some kind of work on it each day for nearly a week.

soapdish - 700 words is just fine and dandy. Good for you! =)

Izz - sounds like a busy beaver over there! =)

Izz

Doing the Space Operatic
Staff member
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.justgoodfiction.com
Nice one, Sealy, and go, Barbara :)

Anybody up for a blog chain? Our topic for this month is 'Interview a character.' More details here.

LilliCray

Plot? What plot?
Registered
Reaction score
Website
mutteringsofascribe.blogspot.com
Yo... wow. When did I last check in? Dunno. Probably back when I was actually... doing stuff.

Haven't written since November. I mean, novel words. I did... um... I mean... I totally didn't put off writing the SFF Sekrit Santa short until the last minute. I totally had that done waaaaaay early. Yep. *nod nod*

Blecch. I'm just in a demotivated phase. Which isn't all that different from the rest of my life except with even less writing. Also I've been sick for four days. And I've forgotten how many mysterious cuts I get on my hands and arms from living with cats. And none of that is actually relevant.

Sigh. And I have a shiny new idea stuck in my head, and a semi-older idea that's decided to come back and visit for awhile. And the thought of writing on the computer makes my head hurt. (Actually, everything makes my head hurt, so that might not count.) Actually, I might have a problem with the way my keyboard gets kind of hot after the computer's been on more than a few minutes... maybe I should invest in a wireless keyboard. Or go back to writing longhand... ick. Maybe not.

Yeah. Anyway. Will attempt to get back on the writing wagon tomorrow. Hopefully I won't be sick again.

Izz

Doing the Space Operatic
Staff member
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.justgoodfiction.com
You know, I might actually do this this month. I'll take a closer look in the morning.
Excellent :) *resists urge to steeple fingers Mr Burns-style*

Yo... wow. When did I last check in? Dunno. Probably back when I was actually... doing stuff.

Haven't written since November. I mean, novel words. I did... um... I mean... I totally didn't put off writing the SFF Sekrit Santa short until the last minute. I totally had that done waaaaaay early. Yep. *nod nod*

Blecch. I'm just in a demotivated phase. Which isn't all that different from the rest of my life except with even less writing. Also I've been sick for four days. And I've forgotten how many mysterious cuts I get on my hands and arms from living with cats. And none of that is actually relevant.

Sigh. And I have a shiny new idea stuck in my head, and a semi-older idea that's decided to come back and visit for awhile. And the thought of writing on the computer makes my head hurt. (Actually, everything makes my head hurt, so that might not count.) Actually, I might have a problem with the way my keyboard gets kind of hot after the computer's been on more than a few minutes... maybe I should invest in a wireless keyboard. Or go back to writing longhand... ick. Maybe not.

Yeah. Anyway. Will attempt to get back on the writing wagon tomorrow. Hopefully I won't be sick again.
I hope you feel better soon, Lilli. And investing in a new keyboard sounds like a good idea. :Hug2:

If you can find a way to approach your novel writing the same way you write your posts here i'm sure you'll have the novel finished in no time, with an excellent voice to boot! :)

Checking in. :chair

I did not write. Instead, I played publisher. This is what I did the past several days. No, not the author. I finished up the trade formats and published it.

Yeah, this was work, but I've been avoiding my own books. Sigh.:rolleyes:
Here's a :e2cheer: to help get you motivated. If that doesn't work here's :Hug2:. If that doesn't work here's a :poke: and if that doesn't work here's a :whip:

*cheesy grin*

Since it's officially 2012, I started the novel! 500+ words yesterday. Small start but it's a start!
Yay! :hooray: Well done, alessa!

MysteryRiter

Murder isn't so bad...
Registered
Reaction score
Almost at the 20k mark! I am pleased to announce that I just got past The Wall. It hindered my progress for four days, letting me get only 500 words in those four days, but now I'm surging! Woot! Woot!
Just wait until school tomorrow... *shivers* That'll really impede on my progress. And yes, I'm using big words. :D

bettielee

I'm a sparkly fairy princess!
Registered
Reaction score
Website
bettielee.wordpress.com
Excellent :) *resists urge to steeple fingers Mr Burns-style*

oh, never resist that urge - it's a good look!

I had an epic day yesterday. I have trouble staying focused, sometimes, esp. when I know I need 2 hours of bic. So instead, I broke it up into 1 hour increments. I actually did 3 hours of writing, because I didn't write Saturday and I wanted to make up for the day. I got almost 5k and have the book slowly hurtling (how does one slowly hurtle?) toward the end.

Today is my last "day off" before going back to work after the holiday. I'm going to try and make it count. I do wish these doubts would quit crowding around, while I'm hurtling. Even at a slow hurtle, I don't want to trip.

Siri Kirpal

Swan in Process
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score

Sat Nam! (literally "Truth Name"--a Sikh greeting)

Lilli, there's such a thing as cat fever, and yes, it comes from cat scratches. I'm not sure of the symptoms, but that might be something to check. There's also such a thing as eyestrain headaches. That might be something to check also. And yes, if your keyboard keeps heating up, you may need to invest in a better bit of equipment.

And otherwise, blessings for getting back on track.

Blessings,

Siri Kirpal

Ses

Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.stevebargdill.com
Haven't checked in for a while. And haven't read anyone's updates for last couple of days. But, it is 3:30am. I will catch up everything everybody is doing later today.

Just wanted to brag a bit before bed!

This morning (yesterday morning) I was just over 28k. I started writing at 8am. Can we say: BUTT IN CHAIR!! :D

I wrote 6698 words today, putting me over the 35k word limit--albeit 63 words over 35k, but....good day. Another 45k and I'll have the first official rough draft complete.

Very good day. (Did I say that already?) :yessmiley

Velcro

Scribbling Scribe
Registered
Reaction score
Just checking in and giving everyone an encouraging pat on the back.

Still waiting to hear back from prospective agents on the novel. Every new email I get, I anxiously open in hopes it's from them.

Otherwise, already working on a new project and having a blast so far.

Siri Kirpal

Swan in Process
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Sat Nam! (literally "Truth Name"--a Sikh greeting)

Congrats, Ses! Good work!

Yeah, Velcro, the waiting for agents bit is less fun than writing! Here's to a good response soon!

I'm up to 46,000 words even as of last night. Sunday, I took a look at the chapter that had been kicking and biting me and discovered it was done! Now to write however many more words it takes to finish this opus. My stated deadline is Nov 1, but I'm guessing it will be sooner, unless life sends me out of the ballpark.

Blessings,

Siri Kirpal

soapdish

writing
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
On track still. 1500 words in three days. I'm wondering when I'm gonna fall of the wagon. :tongue It's bound to happen. But so far, so good.

Kweei

Expert Procrastinator
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.kltownsend.com
I have not yet started due to circumstances beyond my control! But I shall this week, hopefully today :)

Sarah G

Let me live that fantasy.
Registered
Reaction score
Finally finished editing my NaNo novel and it's now with some Beta Readers :D That means I can start on my W1S1. :snoopy:I'm so glad, I much prefer writing over editing.