The Missiletoe Command Arcade & Slushy Bar

Status
Not open for further replies.

Andelana

Secret Stick-Figure Superhero
Registered
Reaction score
Holy carp, you lot have been busy! Not that I mind, really, but did it all have to be so interesting? ;)

Been reading the WWII conversation with much interest. I have a hard time with that war, not sure why it's harder then WWI or any of the others, but I've never read much about it. It's been fascinating. Thanks!

Maybe we should. What's everyone working on now? Are you at the 'Whee! drafting is fun" stage or 'Words Pouring Like Molassas' stage or 'cross-eyed from editing' stage....?

Well, I've finally decided to stick to one (or maybe two) story at a time. (Go me!) I'm trying to get 1000 words per day on the semi-serious-but-kinda-maybe-funny-in-a-weird-way SUF (Suburban Fantasy... Only that's not quite right. Small town Fantasy? That just sounds like a p0rn waiting to happen... Anyway...) werewolf/mobster/thief story. I might finish the first draft in 3-4 months if I can maintain that most days. I already know lots of things that need to change in the first 12K words, but I AM NOT GOING BACK TO EDIT THEM RIGHT NOW. Very firm on that. Ahem. ;)

That said, if I get stuck, I might go back and forth with my re-telling of Snow White (possibly crossed with Red-Riding Hood, but I haven't decided yet) set in 12th C. Scotland. I've got research materials that need reading for that one, too.

Got a request for the first three EvilPants chapters from LooseId.

:snoopy: :Hug2: :hooray:

They left out the cost for her salvation. And Ally won’t pay.

I would totally read that.

I have outlines for half a dozen different WIP's gestating and waiting for springtime for me to dig in and work on them. One is an oldie but a goodie, the humorous fantasy set in a hillbilly trailer park; it's been in my list for years and I can't make it go, but I haven't given up hope.

The second is a modern take on DeFoe's Journal of a Plague Year(...)

The third: an SF take on Red Dawn. That's the least developed of the lot.

Then two contemp fantasies.(...)

Look, can I just rummage around in your brain for these stories? If I promise not to look at any other bits? Cause... I'm not sure if I can wait until they're actually written.

There are many things that can be blamed on cats being cats :p

QFT.

G'morning, Cantina! Many, many hugs to those that want them (I'm a hugger. I'll hug almost anyone!) or need them, especially Junely and her family and especially especially her mum. High five for Ali's mum, though, and it being 17 years on! :)

ETA: Just saw this on my Facebook feed and it is marvellous! :D (Paws, Pee and Mice: Cats among Medieval Manuscripts)

aliwood

Penmonkey Contrarian
Registered
Reaction score
Website
truckloadofart.wordpress.com
*Boring cycling related news - skip this post*

Huzzah and hurrah for the mighty Martyn Irvine who yesterday managed to win a silver and Ireland's first gold medal at a track cycling world championship - in spite of, rather than because of the support he gets from the Irish Cycling federation in terms of training facilities of which there are almost none in Ireland itself.

*You can carry on now.*

10trackers

Pollyanna, Shedder of Casual Blood
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Today, I'm putting on my editing hat. Editing like a MANIAC.

CAMueller

Part-time ninja
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.vampirebookclub.net
Also, this was in my inbox this morning after I sent my three chapters in last night:

"I'm really excited about this one, so I hope it's terrific."

So, basically, I'm doomed :e2bummed:

I'm excited they loved your premise. Not doomed.

No. You are not doomed. It will be awesome : D

What she said.

Well, I've finally decided to stick to one (or maybe two) story at a time. (Go me!) I'm trying to get 1000 words per day on the semi-serious-but-kinda-maybe-funny-in-a-weird-way SUF (Suburban Fantasy... Only that's not quite right. Small town Fantasy? That just sounds like a p0rn waiting to happen... Anyway...) werewolf/mobster/thief story. I might finish the first draft in 3-4 months if I can maintain that most days. I already know lots of things that need to change in the first 12K words, but I AM NOT GOING BACK TO EDIT THEM RIGHT NOW. Very firm on that. Ahem. ;)

Suburban fantasy, as opposed to rural fantasy, eh? :D I know what you mean, though.

I have do the DO NOT EDIT NOW thing while drafting, too. I just make notes about what I'll want to change and proceed like it's already happened. Then, editing madness upon completion of the first draft. Took several manuscripts to get used to doing so.

I am still outnumbered by microbes. I really wish this would go away.

I'm edging into week 4 of a cold. My cough was gone for a week. It has returned today. We need to be dunked in disinfectant, Ali.

Today, I'm putting on my editing hat. Editing like a MANIAC.

Will a machete be involved? I find it's helpful for maniacal editing. ...and other maniacal things, really.

lilyWhite

Love and Excitement
Registered
Reaction score
Today shall be a day of writing! And decision-making, as in "do I want my main character to accept another woman's offer of casual you-know-what?"

...you know, now that I think about it, just about every time I talk about my writing, I use the phrase "it's a long story". :D

CAMueller

Part-time ninja
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.vampirebookclub.net
Did you try switching formats, Silver? Sometimes I think if I'm stuck it's better to switch to paper, preferably something tinged yellow. Then I'm not staring at something pristine and white and blank. Sometimes it makes the words flow easier, and I'm able to switch over to the keyboard shortly there after.

Reservoir Angel

Angelic by name, fiendish by nature
Registered
Reaction score
It's probably a statement on how casually bizarre my life is that I'm not at all surprised or put off by a young child randomly running into my room, jumping on my bed, then promptly leaving again.

It's just... what it's like around here.

aliwood

Penmonkey Contrarian
Registered
Reaction score
Website
truckloadofart.wordpress.com
I'm edging into week 4 of a cold. My cough was gone for a week. It has returned today. We need to be dunked in disinfectant, Ali.

4!?!

Oh my goodness. And I'm whining after three days. I'm not good at being ill. I never have been. I get frustrated and annoyed that my brain doesn't work properly. I got German measles as a kid and had to take a week off school. My poor mother was on first name terms with the library service by the end of the week. I think I read something like 25 books - kids books, and we had no tv. That may have been the week she stuck Lord of the Rings under my nose in a futile bid to slow me down.

LadyV

Tree Hugger
Registered
Reaction score
Good morning Cantina! I will write again today and hopefully slay this chapter. It's giving me some serious hell.

Not a good day in Hillbilly Land today. Or tomorrow, for that matter.
:Hug2:

Also, this was in my inbox this morning after I sent my three chapters in last night:

"I'm really excited about this one, so I hope it's terrific."

So, basically, I'm doomed :e2bummed:
Somehow I missed this yesterday so, congrats!

I
Suburban fantasy, as opposed to rural fantasy, eh? :D I know what you mean, though.
I categorized Smolder Ember as contemporary fantasy because it takes place in modern times, just not in the city. Most of it is located in the Midwest and the Rockies. Could that be considered rural?

amergina

Pittsburgh Strong
Staff member
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.annazabo.com
I'm currently working on the sideways sequel to my LI novel. The MC is a minor character from that book. (There will be an actual sequel later.)

I adore my protagonist. I adore the Love Interest. I'm going to have so much fun putting them both through hell.

CobraMisfit

I want to be Comic Sans.
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Got a request for the first three EvilPants chapters from LooseId.

Oh my God. :gone:

WOOO HOOOO!!!!

Congrats and well deserved, 10s. You're a great writer, so it's wonderful to see you receive some well-earned validation from The Pros.

"Space physics" = :snoopy:

QFT

Morning gang.

Whut up?

slcboston

Pasture-ized
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Pearl Harbour, although it made sense at the time, was indeed a phenomenally bad call.

No, it wasn't. Not on the face of it.

Had the carrier groups been there, we'd have been set back and it would have taken us far longer to recover and fight, giving the Japanese time to secure more territory, and be in a better position to negotiate a settlement. If they'd sunk the fleet in the harbor, it would have not only crippled the fleet but effectively closed the harbor and the base, too.

Least, that was the theory, and there are some good indications it was fairly sound thinking based on observations about a seriously isolationist US. Remember, most of the populace did not want to fight, and we had to be dragged kicking and screaming into the war. Even so, Japan had to know we wouldn't sit idly by forever. Better to cripple us early, and deal with the US on a protracted but predictable timeline, than be wondering about where/when the US would get involved.

Especially with Japanese aims in the Philippines.

Going ahead with the attack when the carrier groups were not in the harbor was the bad call, but the decision to attack Pearl was a necessary and inevitable one.

CAMueller

Part-time ninja
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.vampirebookclub.net
4!?!

Oh my goodness. And I'm whining after three days. I'm not good at being ill. I never have been. I get frustrated and annoyed that my brain doesn't work properly.

My doctor and I have kind of joked about it, because I actually have a pretty kickass immune system. I just travel so much that I get the beginnings of sickness all the time. I was only super sick with this cold for about two days. Then only a cough. Then only a light headache. Not bad enough to have to take stuff except to sleep at night, but enough to be not 100 percent. I'm just over it. Also, I need to buy stock in cough drops.

I categorized Smolder Ember as contemporary fantasy because it takes place in modern times, just not in the city. Most of it is located in the Midwest and the Rockies. Could that be considered rural?

Does the rural element act as a character like a city would in UF? If not, I'd just call it contemporary fantasy and be good with it.

I adore my protagonist. I adore the Love Interest. I'm going to have so much fun putting them both through hell.

:evil

CobraMisfit

I want to be Comic Sans.
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
No, it wasn't. Not on the face of it.

Had the carrier groups been there, we'd have been set back and it would have taken us far longer to recover and fight, giving the Japanese time to secure more territory, and be in a better position to negotiate a settlement. If they'd sunk the fleet in the harbor, it would have not only crippled the fleet but effectively closed the harbor and the base, too.

Least, that was the theory, and there are some good indications it was fairly sound thinking based on observations about a seriously isolationist US. Remember, most of the populace did not want to fight, and we had to be dragged kicking and screaming into the war. Even so, Japan had to know we wouldn't sit idly by forever. Better to cripple us early, and deal with the US on a protracted but predictable timeline, than be wondering about where/when the US would get involved.

Especially with Japanese aims in the Philippines.

Going ahead with the attack when the carrier groups were not in the harbor was the bad call, but the decision to attack Pearl was a necessary and inevitable one.

This.

No one, not even the average citizen, expected the effect that Pearl Harbor would have on the nation. All signed indicated that we'd collapse even further in on ourselves to lick our wounds. We were still trying to get out of the woods from the Depression and our military was marginal at best. Heck, there were still units that were operating canvas-skinned bi-planes and rickety old transports, so we weren't in any position to get into a war.

And Bos is right, had the carriers been at Pearl Harbor, the time for us to get into the Pacific Theater would have been exponentially longer. But the combination of missing the carriers and the galvanization of the American people because we felt we were "needlessly attacked" was the tipping point. From then on, the nation poured everything into the war effort at an unprecedented rate that surprised everyone, including, I bet, the US Government.

Status
Not open for further replies.