Last Movie You Watched...

Maze Runner

Registered
Reaction score
Sleepwalk With Me Mike Birbiblia's story of his love and family life, standup comedy career, and his RBD sleep disorder. I thought it was very good. Reminded me of Woody Allen's early movies.

AskMalice

Registered
Reaction score
I saw Divergent last week and Captain America: The Winter Soldier this week. I preferred Divergent. Everyone said how great Captain America was, but it didn't wow me. It was good, not great. The villain and plot were too obvious. Nothing surprised me.

Calla Lily

On hiatus
Staff member
Super Moderator
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.aliceloweecey.net
Stalker. Russian SF from 1979. District 9 has echoes of it. In this, a meteorite lands and destroys a town, except it might not have been merely a meteorite because weird stuff starts to happen and finally the government cordons it off.

Dark. Grim. Spare. Interesting Wizard of Oz treatment--the regular world is BW, cold, rainy, dirty; once the MC leads his two paying gawkers past the military into The Zone, everything's in color, grass, flowers, birds, blue sky.

I was with it for the first hour-ish. Then it became preachy and a Message Movie. :( So. Much. Talking. After taking us step by step through The Zone to the Room, the trip back is a jump cut back to the grim, dirty, dark bar the movie started at. :Wha:

I'd recommend it as part of the history of SF, but overall I was disappointed. The ending especially I saw coming a mile off.

TheNighSwan

Banned
Reaction score
Maybe you would prefer "Solaris" more, by the same director. It's still dialogue focused, but overall it's less insanely decompressed and slow-paced (don't expect an action film by any mean, but, yeah, a bit more lively than "Stalker" —which I do like, but admit it's a film that can only work for the most heavenly patient of us).

Maxx B

Registered
Reaction score
I watched The Fifth Element again. I was poking around in Netflix and when it popped up, I thought it would be a fun Sunday afternoon film. As cheesy as it was, it was still good fun. Bruce Willis, played Bruce Willis with his usual style. Gary Oldman was excellent. He pulled of a perfect mix of menace and cheese.

The only down vote, I still hate Chris Tucker's Ruby Rhod. But saying that I've never liked his whiny over acting.

cutecontinent

Registered
Reaction score
I was with it for the first hour-ish. Then it became preachy and a Message Movie. .

If you haven't read Roadside Picnic, gogogo. It's the novella that movie was based on. It's aged fairly well, too, considering it was written in the late 60s.

Calla Lily

On hiatus
Staff member
Super Moderator
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.aliceloweecey.net
Is it available in English?

ETA: nvm. Just found it at my library and have requested it. Thanks!

Also this morning, Apollo 18. I really don't get the hate. It was a well done found footage movie, too much shakycam for me *puke*, but believable and tense and creepy. Also, I really liked the
space-rock-spiders.

Recommended.

Last edited:

J.S.F.

Red fish, blue fish...
Registered
Reaction score
Capricorn One, with Elliot Gould, Sam Waterston, James Brolin, and the scumbag, oj simpson.

Very good. Lots of plot holes, deliberately so, but so well done you can't help but be caught up in it.

AskMalice

Registered
Reaction score
I watched Transformers 3 Dark of the Moon last night and it was funnier than I remember. But overly long.

J.S.F.

Red fish, blue fish...
Registered
Reaction score
The Angry Red Planet, a real stinker, but an interesting stinker. Calla would approve, methinks.:D The 'spider-bat' is the highlight of a really cheesy flick. Still, liked it BECAUSE it was cheesy.

Calla Lily

On hiatus
Staff member
Super Moderator
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.aliceloweecey.net
I lurve Angry Red Planet! It has everything you'd expect from early 60s SF: Bad FX, bad acting, sexism, evil puppets, faceless omnipotent aliens, and unbelievable spaceship designs.

Netflix has it--watch it now if you need a good laugh!

Chris P

Likes metaphors mixed, not stirred
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Just watched Jackie Brown for the first time in about 15 years. It's held up amazingly well.

BloodSpatterAnalyst

"AA" stands for Authors Anonymous
Registered
Reaction score
I re-watched Strangeland a couple nights ago. I hadn't seen it since it came out in '99? Dee Snider is a horror genius! And it's got Amy Smart in it. It's hard not to love her.

cornflake

practical experience, FTW
Registered
Reaction score
Philomena - Really well-done, gripping, quiet tale. Dench really deserved an award or six for her performance.

White House Down - Better than I'd thought, which wasn't hard, but at least a half hour too long. Olympus Has Fallen, the twin plot, was a far superiour movie, imo.

WhiteCallaLilies

Registered
Reaction score
I saw Captain America: The Winter Soldier a few nights ago. I didn't have high expectations for it, but I ended up really enjoying the movie. Interesting story, good action. :)

Sargentodiaz

Registered
Reaction score
Just watched the Hobbit movie.

As ever, scenery was incredible.
Story a little fuzzy and I wasn't happy with the ending.
However, in this one we don't have to tolerate the constantly crying Hobbit and that weird thing that I could never understand a single word it mumbled.

Maze Runner

Registered
Reaction score
I watched "Mischief" the other night. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mischief_(film)

Doug Mckeon, Catherine Mary Stewart, Kelly Preston, and introducing Doug Nash; last I've seen and heard of him. Which, things like that, I don't understand. He was good! Not James Dean, Marlon Brando good, but good enough so that I would have thought I'd see him again.

The movie was made back in the mid 80s, set in the mid 50s, and the plot was nothing if not been-done-a-hundred-times, but funny how that doesn't matter. If it's well done it's well done. The thing that really struck me that the way it was directed, shot, acted etc, it almost felt like it was done in the 50s. Just a fun (but not silly) movie I'd recommend if that's what you happen to be looking for at the time.

Directed Mel Damski, written by Noel Black.

J.S.F.

Red fish, blue fish...
Registered
Reaction score
30 Days of Night.

Low budget, but pretty suspenseful. Ending I could see coming a mile away, but overall it was worth it.

Also watched Spacemaster X-7, a low budget flick which was ahead of its time in many ways although the lack of production values showed. Not a bad script. Not great, but not bad, and you see Moe Howard (of Three Stooges fame) as a cabbie!

Calla Lily

On hiatus
Staff member
Super Moderator
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.aliceloweecey.net
Watching the SyFy original Collision: Earth. Not one sentence of this plot or dialogue is believable. Not one. I'm torn between :roll: and :Headbang:. Good thing Supernatural starts in 15 minutes and I can turn it off. Some white noise is detrimental to a writer's health.

Primus

Del Lago
Registered
Reaction score
Saw The Winter Soldier a couple o' weeks ago. It was good, but how certain things were handled/not shown: like the sudden placement of the usb drive in the vending machine and Fury escaping the Winter Soldier, by I guess digging a hole in pavement in a span of five seconds, drove me crazy. I hate when directors pull those stunts. Nevertheless I thought it better than The First Avenger.