True Detective

Rebe14

Registered
Reaction score
I've been watching this show and I love it. I even managed to get my boyfriend into it. I'm probably going to watch the finale tomorrow. But I am so psyched! Matthew Mcconhauey is the greatest.

I can't believe one person can write that well for a tv series. Blows my mind. The dialogue is awesome.

Anyways, I'll end the fan-girl rant.

[Edit]: Just read the article! It was great. I think number 2 and 5 are the most likely. I don't think he planted the body, but I bet he might have lit that fire. I really doubt Marty is involved though.

Rebe

Last edited:

BeatrixKiddo

Is it summer yet???
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
This is such a great show. Dark, moody, but with some humor thrown in here and there. It's being called "the new Breaking Bad" as far as its popularity.

King God Kong Zilla

Registered
Reaction score
Man this show is so good. Some absolute dynamite dialogue in it.

Just as good as House of Cards, if not a bit better IMO. If you like the detective solving a serial killer case story, check this out, you won't find anything better.

pennywise18

Registered
Reaction score
wow, I can't believe this thread only has 3 replies, the way this show seems to be picking up in popularity. I thought the finale was great and ended different from what I expected. It gave it a nice, resolute touch.

Apparently each season is going to focus on a different storyline with different actors. Matthew's already said he won't be returning for season 2.

John Chambers

Registered
Reaction score
The series was lovely, it felt like a real crime, the ending was just what i wanted from this show. Though i understand why it upset so many people.

smalls

Registered
Reaction score
I loved how, on paper, Rust was the "messed up" one -- socially prickly, brooding, living alone, etc. but it was Marty that kept screwing things up, both with his family and the case.

On another note, I was pretty pissed at Maggie for dragging Rust into her plan to fully sever her marriage. Why not hook up with a stranger? Or LIE about cheating?

jaksen

Caped Codder
Registered
Reaction score
In MA, USA, across from a 17th century cemetery
I loved how, on paper, Rust was the "messed up" one -- socially prickly, brooding, living alone, etc. but it was Marty that kept screwing things up, both with his family and the case.

On another note, I was pretty pissed at Maggie for dragging Rust into her plan to fully sever her marriage. Why not hook up with a stranger? Or LIE about cheating?

I think it was mentioned in the last episode (or next to last) when Marty and Rust are talking in the truck -

Maggie having sex with Rust is the only thing Marty could never forgive her for. (Having sex with his partner.) I think it was sort of foreshadowed, too, in the scene where Rust returns Marty's lawnmower, and mows Marty's lawn. As Marty tells Rust, 'You just don't mow another man's lawn.'

Great series anyhow. Hoping the next one they do, with new actors, etc., is just as good.

Donkey

Registered
Reaction score
Brilliant, gripping series with some of the best dialogue ever. Truly amazing this was all written by one guy. Binge-watched the hell out of it. I hope there will be a second season, but won't be surprised if it falls far short of this one.

IMHO, this is the show Breaking Bad has always tried to be, but failed in ways it's hard to put my finger on. And yes, I do know how popular that show is.

And yes, if there is indeed a season two, it will have to be a whole new story and set of actors. Frankly, that will be much of its appeal for me...starting fresh each time. Can't wait!

katiemac

Five by Five
Registered
Reaction score
Brilliant, gripping series with some of the best dialogue ever. Truly amazing this was all written by one guy.

I'm really hoping they release the scripts. I've managed to get my hands on episodes 1 and 2 but I would love to read the finale.

Mudcat

Ba-chewy chomp
Registered
Reaction score
I watched it. It started out great. Like a 9.5 out of 10 for the first episode. All-timer kinda stuff.

Personally, I felt it settled to level of around 7/10 by the end (making a composite 8/10 for the whole series). There was a lot of filler/repetition as the series went along. I felt like, for dramatic purposes, it could have been 4-5 episodes instead of 8. Of course commercial purposes are another story.

I found the finale workmanlike, not particularly inspired.

I am a tough grader and 7/10 is still a good show but I don't see myself ever watching it again as I do every ~8 years with (what I consider) the greatest TV series.

But if there is a season 2 of TD, I will definitely check it out.

Last edited:

katiemac

Five by Five
Registered
Reaction score
I watched it. It started out great. Like a 9.5 out of 10 for the first episode. All-timer kinda stuff.

Personally, I felt it settled to level of around 7/10 by the end (making a composite 8/10 for the whole series). There was a lot of filler/repetition as the series went along. I felt like, for dramatic purposes, it could have been 4-5 episodes instead of 8. Of course commercial purposes are another story.

I am a tough grader and 7/10 is still a good show but I don't see myself ever watching it again as I do every ~8 years with (what I consider) the greatest TV series.

But if there is a season 2 of TD, I will definitely check it out.

I think the mystery started strong but ended up fizzling--looking back, Dora Lange's drug-induced diary scribblings about the "yellow king," for example, don't seem to fit--but I was fascinated by the dialogue and the direction. Even the cinematography was gorgeous and not something you regularly see on TV. Cohle is a great character and the philosophical undertones, whether they worked or not in the end, were also different than what you'd normally see on screen. Both actors were fantastic and although I had little sympathy for Marty, he and Cohle's relationship felt realistic.

I feel like season 2 has an opportunity to step up the crime aspect. We'll see if they can replicate the characters, since from everything I've heard no one from season 1 will be returning.

Last edited:

asroc

Alex
Registered
Reaction score

Agree with that. I found it surprising how neatly it all wrapped up. I would have expected the show to end on a much more cynical note.

playground

Registered
Reaction score
Loved this show. My favorite episode hands down was when Rust went undercover and that whole mini-shoot out in the city was just so good.

Dreity

Registered
Reaction score
I'm totally being a thread necromancer, but DH and I are about 3 episodes away from the finale.

This is such an intelligent show, and I am so impressed by Matthew Mcconaughey in particular. (Although I've had to turn off the fan and crank the volume up just so I can hear some of his monologues.)

I have a couple nitpicks. The roles for women are pretty abysmal. The options are: cop's wife, cop's Other Woman, cop's girlfriend for, like, 2 minutes of screen time, prostitute, and dead woman. Hopefully season two is better about that.

And since the show is so smart in other areas, I can't decide if some of the religious details are intentional, subtle clues that something is off or just bad research. No way in heck would an evangelical pastor from the deep South let a crucifix anywhere near his big tent revival. He would NOT make the sign of the cross. He would NOT have a statue of the Virgin Mary in his church, and the name of the church does not match Protestant conventions at all.

I only noticed because of my background, but it makes me wonder how off the police procedural stuff is, since that's not something I'm familiar with.

Hendo

Custom User Title
Registered
Reaction score
I love this show. I liked it so much that I watched the entire season in like 2 days. All of the loose ends drove me nuts though... who was the Yellow King?! Who else was in the cult?! I know it's closer to real life in that something so big and far reaching is never completely solved but I still would have liked a little... more. Another season would be perfect but since season 2 will have a different cast and be based in California, fingers crossed for season 3. Matthew McConaughey did just recently say that he'd be interested in doing another season.

Royale.Revolution

Registered
Reaction score
What is everyone's thoughts on Colin Farrell and Vince Vaughn being cast into lead roles in True Detective season 2? They have some HUGE shoes to fill. However I am very very skeptical with Vince Vaughn though. I'm so used to him being in comedy roles and the last serious role I've seen him in was Domestic Disturbance. I really hope he surprises me and season 2 doesn't become a flop. From what I read also, there are supposed to be 4 leads instead of 2 for season 2. Who would you like for the other 2 leads to be?

The Emissary

Registered
Reaction score
I just started this show. Unfortunately, cause of my exposure to Breaking Bad I feel like I have a new standard for shows, and if another show can't reach them even slightly I'm not going to give it that much of a fair chance. Luckily I True Detective hooked me in the first five minutes. Hopefully, from some of these comments, it looks like it'll maintain my interests

playground

Registered
Reaction score
I just started this show. Unfortunately, cause of my exposure to Breaking Bad I feel like I have a new standard for shows, and if another show can't reach them even slightly I'm not going to give it that much of a fair chance. Luckily I True Detective hooked me in the first five minutes. Hopefully, from some of these comments, it looks like it'll maintain my interests

In my opinion True Detective is better, but either way you shouldn't be disappointed!