Supernatural (Warning: Spoilers)

katiemac

Five by Five
Registered
Reaction score
I'm just so pleased they showed Metatron with the books. I mean, it was brilliant when Crowley read them the first time around. But I couldn't believe it with all the books and stories Metatron has acquired, he didn't already have them in his library.

Calla Lily

On hiatus
Staff member
Super Moderator
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.aliceloweecey.net
The books were an excellent bait-and-switch. When I saw the titles, I was hoping for one brief, shining moment...

Also, Cas knowing a Star Wars reference but still not getting it was priceless.

angeliz2k

never mind the shorty
Registered
Reaction score
Commonwealth of Virginia--it's for lovers
Website
www.elizabethhuhn.com
I enjoyed the episode. It had a very different vibe from most of the last several seasons. It actually seemed to be going somewhere and to remember the past several seasons. Thank Chuck (haha) they reminded us that the Supernatural books--and CHUCK--exist. And it was nice to see Gabriel, even if it was a fake-out. I hope this means they'll be tying things in as the series comes to a close. They need to circle back to previous seasons to make it fulfilling. The parallels between Metatron and Chuck made me very happy and hints that they are starting to think seriously about building that final arc. That story arc has been woefully absent since the end of season 5.

dragonjax

I write stuff and break boards.
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.jackiekessler.com
Finally saw it! **kicks DVR; gives thanks to online streaming**

Can I just say I literally cried out "YAY!!!" when Gabriel appeared? I was pretty sure it would turn out as it did, but even so, YAY!!!

And Metatron as Anti-Chuck? Fantastic!

I'm also not quite sure what the endpoint is supposed to be here; Metatron's got the angel tablet and the key to Heaven, with no other angels there to bother him. So...now what? Is Metatron just bored, like any writer would be after finishing a story? Is all of this just because he has to tell a story, and he's picked up the Winchesters because it's what Chuck had done? (Pulp stuff, indeed; loved the "God published His first draft" comment -- if that's not a nod to Chuck, I don't know what is.)

So, recap:

Abbadon and Crowley are fighting over the keys to Hell.

Cas is gathering an army to fight for the keys to Heaven.

The Winchesters are going to help Crowley and Cas because A) Abbadon is capital-e Evil and Metatron has a God complex that's leaving angels and humans slaughtered in his wake.

Okay, got it.

I'm still hopeful that this season will end with Dean/Cain -- insane from wielding the First Blade -- killing Sam, and Sam waking up back in the Cage. Fingers, toes, and halos crossed...

katiemac

Five by Five
Registered
Reaction score
(Pulp stuff, indeed; loved the "God published His first draft" comment -- if that's not a nod to Chuck, I don't know what is.)

This was pretty brilliant.

I'm still hopeful that this season will end with Dean/Cain -- insane from wielding the First Blade -- killing Sam, and Sam waking up back in the Cage. Fingers, toes, and halos crossed...

I'm not sure Sam's going to wake up there, but I do think we are going to get Lucifer back down the road. It could be wishful thinking, but I think they're setting up to bring the Hell arc (season 1-5) in a head-to-head with the Heaven arc for the final season. Imagine, though--if Sam were to die, he can't currently get into Heaven. He wouldn't go to Purgatory. What if he returns to the Cage because it was a cheat that he got out in the first place?

**I just answered one of my own "why do they care?" questions from my previous post, when it comes to Heaven's doors locked. No keys to Heaven = more angry spirits.

Last edited:

Calla Lily

On hiatus
Staff member
Super Moderator
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.aliceloweecey.net
Dragon, I'm crossing too,

Interesting side note: Several days ago, the official SW Supernatural FB feed posted a Happy Birthday to the guy who played Lucifer, with the comment (paraphrased): "Even though you're one of the Tomorrow People, you'll always be Lucifer to us."

I'm really reaching here, but I saw that and hoped it was a sly hint that he's returning for at least a few eps.

See? I'm not all cynicism, all the time. :D

dragonjax

Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.jackiekessler.com
Imagine, though--if Sam were to die, he can't currently get into Heaven. He wouldn't go to Purgatory. What if he returns to the Cage because it was a cheat that he got out in the first place?

What I'm hoping for is that seasons 6 - 9 were all in Sam's mind, trying to keep him sane while imprisoned in the Cage -- but when Dean would kill him (end of season 9, I hope, in the "Cain Slew Abel" theme), Sam would wake up in the Cage, because he never left. And so season 10 would take place right after season 5, with Chuck still the prophet, Bobby still alive, and Dean happy with Lisa...until Something Happens that gets Sam out of the Cage...along with Lucifer and Michael and Adam. (Probably won't happen; I really like your thoughts around seasons 1 - 5 focusing on Hell and seasons 6 - 9 focusing on Heaven, with season 10 bringing it all to a head. But still, a fan and writer can hope!)

katiemac

Five by Five
Registered
Reaction score
I honestly think anything is possible at this point. I mean, Gabriel may or may not be dead, but God brought Cas back from the dead once. The fact they referenced Chuck in this episode and judging by the conversations between Cas and Gabriel about good ole Dad make me think God will be important to endgame.

Calla Lily

On hiatus
Staff member
Super Moderator
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.aliceloweecey.net
???

Was that anything more than 42 minutes of filler? One throwaway line about Dean enjoying killing a little too much, and another of the "You'd do the same for me."

I'm surprised--pleasantly--that the sheriff survived. Females have a short shelf life on he show.

But, overall, nothing. and next week is the pilot for the Chicago spinoff, so I'm guessing another 42 minutes of nothing.

Pessimism, I has it tonight. :tongue

dragonjax

Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.jackiekessler.com
???

Was that anything more than 42 minutes of filler? One throwaway line about Dean enjoying killing a little too much, and another of the "You'd do the same for me."

I'm surprised--pleasantly--that **snip**
But, overall, nothing. and next week is the pilot for the Chicago spinoff, so I'm guessing another 42 minutes of nothing.

Pessimism, I has it tonight. :tongue

Me too. Ugh. That episode was a disappointment. And agreed about expectations for next week.

angeliz2k

never mind the shorty
Registered
Reaction score
Commonwealth of Virginia--it's for lovers
Website
www.elizabethhuhn.com
Opinionated opinion: In S1 and S2, they still kept the "searching for dad" story arc in the monster of the week eps. They seem to have forgotten how to do this.

Agreed. Since the end of season 5, there has really only been a vague impression of an overall arc. The whole soul-less Sam or leviathan things were nothing more than plot devices--they didn't really hold together the season(s). In the first several seasons, we had monster-of-the-week, but we were still moving slowly along the arc of "where's Dad?" or "how do we keep Dean from going to hell?" or "how do we stop the Apocalypse we unleashed?" We also got deeper into a mythology that was leading us towards the Apocalypse.

I'm just holding out hope that they circle back around and bring back Chuck or other story lines they let drop. That would be very satisfying to me.

katiemac

Five by Five
Registered
Reaction score
Opinionated opinion: In S1 and S2, they still kept the "searching for dad" story arc in the monster of the week eps. They seem to have forgotten how to do this.

Agreed. Although despite this episode being underwhelming, thematically I did appreciate the culty-family undertones. That said, isn't the spin-off supposed to be about monster families? So maybe this was an intro to the intro, although I really doubt I'll be watching that show and disappointed the pilot is already next week. Give me forward momentum! Do not give me spinoff!

And dear lord. Sam is the worst hunter alive. I'd need twenty hands to count the number of times he's been snuck up on, knocked out, tied up--and in the most recent seasons alone. I get we're in aggressive-Dean-saves-the-day mode, but SAM IS BETTER THAN THIS.

Is it because he's so tall, he's easier to spot? But then I've always wondered how the bad guys manage to lug his giant moose body around while unconscious and get him into chairs and stuff. If he gets knocked out one more time, I would like to see that. For comedy. (Yes, I know he wasn't technically knocked out in this episode, but this is what I think about during disappointing filler episodes.)

By the way, what was up with both boys being all "Let's kill the girl! YAY!!" ??

Last edited:

Calla Lily

On hiatus
Staff member
Super Moderator
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.aliceloweecey.net
Agreed. I lost count of how many times I rolled my eyes at the tired old SPN tricks.

--Sam and Dean sneak into house without being quiet or sneaky AT ALL.
--Sam and Dean get bashed on the head.
--Sam gets tied up.
--Sam's blood gets drained... AGAIN. The man should be eating a diet of continual protein, fer cryin' out loud!
--Dean plays dead so he can leap up at the right moment to save little brother.

:e2yawn:

The drama and the comedy aren't good enough anymore to make me overlook these whiskery elements.

:(

heza

Registered
Reaction score
... Am I the only one who remembers why you're not supposed to shove a shotgun right up against a person's back?

Sam has forgotten all of his training.

Also, are vampires like a lot weaker than they were in Season 1? Or have Dean and Sam just gotten supernaturally strong these last several years?

Kweei

Expert Procrastinator
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.kltownsend.com
Been watching right along but not saying much, but I am so nervous for Dean! He's becoming quite the emotionless killer, isn't he?

At this point, don't really care what they do as long as I get the satisfying brother relationship back.

Calla Lily

On hiatus
Staff member
Super Moderator
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.aliceloweecey.net
:gaah

Dear CW: I don't give a rodent's patoot about your pretty new spin-off show with your pretty new characters and ho-hum Mafia plot.

Give Me Supernatural!

(as in, Sam and Dean cameos, Don't Cut It.)

ETA: Well, finally. Next week's preview has Cas, Crowley, Abaddon, AND the First Blade. It better be awesome to make up for tonight's complete waste of time. :mad:

Last edited: