Vikings on History Channel

Manuel Royal

Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
donnetowntoday.blogspot.com
Something like that was done a few decades ago. Let me delve into the junk drawer I call a memory, and I'll see if I can pin it down.
Dang it; I know it was a PBS show in the late 1970s or early 1980s. It was a half-hour show, each episode giving a fake news report on an event from history, such as the end of the siege of Jerusalem in 1187, or Norsemen sailing to Vinland. Can't recall or find the name.

Shadow_Ferret

Court Jester
Registered
Reaction score
Website
shadowferret.wordpress.com
Wait. West means... England?

But they're already sailing all over the place, south and east. They didn't come across anyone who knew about England? Really? No one stood on the shores of France and said, "Hey, look, the Cliffs of Dover."?

CrastersBabies

Burninator!
Registered
Reaction score
The earliest documented raids by the Vikings began in 793 at Lindisfarne, England. This is the "era" that the show seems to be set in. If you look at a map of Scandinavia, you'll see that the northern tip of the British Isles are west of the southern tip of Norway.

But, I too wonder if they did not raid these areas before and they simply weren't documented. Hard to say. :)

blacbird

Registered
Reaction score
I watched a bit of this program the other night. It's as historically accurate as most John Wayne movies about the American West, and a hell of a lot less entertaining.

caw

JohnnyGottaKeyboard

Who let this guy in...?
Registered
Reaction score
On the rooftoop where he climbed when the laughter
Dang it; I know it was a PBS show in the late 1970s or early 1980s. It was a half-hour show, each episode giving a fake news report on an event from history, such as the end of the siege of Jerusalem in 1187, or Norsemen sailing to Vinland. Can't recall or find the name.
Were you referring to You Are There?

Shadow_Ferret

Court Jester
Registered
Reaction score
Website
shadowferret.wordpress.com
I watched a bit of this program the other night. It's as historically accurate as most John Wayne movies about the American West, and a hell of a lot less entertaining.

caw

I'm going to force myself to watch the 3rd episode in the hopes it'll get better and maybe a likable or sympathetic character will emerge that I can care about. I just don't care about these people. As someone who enjoys reading about the Viking era, there's something wrong when I have to force myself to be entertained by the subject.

mayqueen

practical experience, FTW
Registered
Reaction score
I thought the second episode was much more interesting. The main dude is pretty boring, though.

ebbrown

Easily Amused
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.ebbrown.net
I'm going to force myself to watch the 3rd episode in the hopes it'll get better and maybe a likable or sympathetic character will emerge that I can care about. I just don't care about these people. As someone who enjoys reading about the Viking era, there's something wrong when I have to force myself to be entertained by the subject.

I feel the same way. I hoped last night something would hook me, but that episode was another let down. I'm kinda bummed, it looked great from the previews.

00Pepper

Super Pepper
Registered
Reaction score
I know this is from a year ago but I thought I'd post here instead of creating a new thread.

Did anyone watch the first season all the way through? What did you think of the season finale? Are you watching this season?

We love the show at our house and enjoy it purely for it's entertainment value.

Team Auslaug (sp) or Team Lagertha?

jaksen

Caped Codder
Registered
Reaction score
In MA, USA, across from a 17th century cemetery
I watched it all the way through and enjoyed it. (Season 1) And now am into Season 2.

Team Lagertha, but the little boys Ragnar had with Auslaug are tres cute. And I'm learning to like Rollo. It's tough, but I am. :D

CrastersBabies

Burninator!
Registered
Reaction score
I watched it all the way through and enjoyed it. (Season 1) And now am into Season 2.

Team Lagertha, but the little boys Ragnar had with Auslaug are tres cute. And I'm learning to like Rollo. It's tough, but I am. :D

Pretty much all of this. Lagertha is amaaaaaaazing. I love her so much! Ragnar's new wife is just annoying as shit. But their children are cute.

As fast as they are moving forward, I'm sure we'll get to see things play out with Ragnar's sons.

Rollo will be going to France in a big way if I remember. He is, after all, he ruled Normandy and was the great-great-great-grandfather of William the Conquerer. (Again, history is rusty.)

Last edited:

jaksen

Caped Codder
Registered
Reaction score
In MA, USA, across from a 17th century cemetery
Pretty much all of this. Lagertha is amaaaaaaazing. I love her so much! Ragnar's new wife is just annoying as shit. But their children are cute.

As fast as they are moving forward, I'm sure we'll get to see things play out with Ragnar's sons.

Rollo will be going to France in a big way if I remember. He is, after all, he ruled Normandy and was the great-great-great-grandfather of William the Conquerer. (Again, history is rusty.)

Yes, I recall learning that Rollo was a real historical figure. Not so sure about his brother and the rest. But any time the swords are flying near Rollo - and my husband hates him and will say things like: take his head off! - I say...

Rollo can't die. He won't die. He's too important. I think.

00Pepper

Super Pepper
Registered
Reaction score
Did anyone watch last nights episode? Blood Eagle I think it was titled. I don't want to give spoilers but I'm so happy to meet Earl Ingstad and was anyone else confused about the deal King Horik made with Jarl Borg? I feel like I missed something and need to go back and watch it again.

What do you think will happen with Athelstan? Will he come back?

00Pepper

Super Pepper
Registered
Reaction score

We are definitely Team Lagertha! Auslaug (sp) IS annoying and I pretty much hate her and can't believe Lagertha was so nice to her. I'm not 100% convinced Ragnar and Lagertha are completely finished though.

What about Rollo and Siggy? I was starting to like her until she started sleeping with King Horik.

CrastersBabies

Burninator!
Registered
Reaction score
Last night's episode was truly intense. I love the episodes that have elements of Nordic tradition, paganism and culture at the fore. I was seriously rooting for Jarl Borg there toward the end.

As for the deal between Jarl Borg and King Horik, I have no idea what went down. I may have to watch it again. Spoilers.... >>>

I mean, Horik came in and said, "I've decided to help you escape...." then they had some conversation.

Then they came for Borg (I don't remember if it was Horik), to take him to the "eagle" execution. What I'm taking away from this is that King Horik is not trustworthy. He's the one who created the whole rift between Jarl Borg and Ragnar. He seemed to be at the very root of everything that soured with the various alliances.

And, King Egbert betraying Horik in Wessex is actually kind of funny to me, considering what a snake Horik is, imho.
>>> End Spoiler

As for Athelstan, I think he's leaning toward betraying Egbert and helping Ragnar when the vikings return. That crow made him smile. :)

Lagertha is amazing. I love her so much. I wonder if she and Ragnar are over... though I suspect they will not ever be married again. >>>> Aslaug, I actually like her now, but I think the baby giving her pain is a sign that she won't survive the next childbirth. >>>>

I go back and forth with Siggy. I think she's gone too far. But then again, I think that she also got caught up in King Horik's deal and didn't know how to back out of that. Sometimes, I really like her. She is shrewd and knows how to survive. I also think she and Lagertha have an interesting friendship.

I have no idea what will happen. She's an opportunist. I'm glad she stuck around this whole time, too, even after her first husband died.

Last edited:

mayqueen

Registered
Reaction score
Agreed. Although if she kicks over or something, I might be kind of annoyed at the whole "using a woman character just to get the kids in the picture and then she dies thing" (recently used on another show not at all similar to Vikings, ahem). I also find Siggy really annoying. She had promise, but now I have no idea what she endgame is.

Poor Athelstan. I'm rooting for a happy ending for him, although I have no idea what it would be. I find characters caught in between two cultures like that so fascinating.

00Pepper

Super Pepper
Registered
Reaction score
Last night's episode was truly intense. I love the episodes that have elements of Nordic tradition, paganism and culture at the fore. I was seriously rooting for Jarl Borg there toward the end.

As for the deal between Jarl Borg and King Horik, I have no idea what went down. I may have to watch it again. Spoilers.... >>>

I mean, Horik came in and said, "I've decided to help you escape...." then they had some conversation.

Then they came for Borg (I don't remember if it was Horik), to take him to the "eagle" execution. What I'm taking away from this is that King Horik is not trustworthy. He's the one who created the whole rift between Jarl Borg and Ragnar. He seemed to be at the very root of everything that soured with the various alliances.

And, King Egbert betraying Horik in Wessex is actually kind of funny to me, considering what a snake Horik is, imho. >>> End Spoiler

As for Athelstan, I think he's leaning toward betraying Egbert and helping Ragnar when the vikings return. That crow made him smile. :)

Lagertha is amazing. I love her so much. I wonder if she and Ragnar are over... though I suspect they will not ever be married again. >>>> Aslaug, I actually like her now, but I think the baby giving her pain is a sign that she won't survive the next childbirth. >>>>

I go back and forth with Siggy. I think she's gone too far. But then again, I think that she also got caught up in King Horik's deal and didn't know how to back out of that. Sometimes, I really like her. She is shrewd and knows how to survive. I also think she and Lagertha have an interesting friendship.

I have no idea what will happen. She's an opportunist. I'm glad she stuck around this whole time, too, even after her first husband died.

I pretty much agree with everything you said about Horik, Aslaug, Siggy and Athelstan. I feel like Rollo has started to redeem himself and I hope he doesn't betray Ragnar again at some point because of Siggy.

And what on earth is up with Floki?? Did I miss where he got mad at Ragnar? I felt like that was just out of the blue. And Bjorn with the servant girl...why do I think that's a disaster waiting to happen?

00Pepper

Super Pepper
Registered
Reaction score
Agreed. Although if she kicks over or something, I might be kind of annoyed at the whole "using a woman character just to get the kids in the picture and then she dies thing" (recently used on another show not at all similar to Vikings, ahem). I also find Siggy really annoying. She had promise, but now I have no idea what she endgame is.

Poor Athelstan. I'm rooting for a happy ending for him, although I have no idea what it would be. I find characters caught in between two cultures like that so fascinating.

After the first season I read something, can't remember where, about the real Ragnar having multiple wives and that they would possibly all make an appearance in the show. I don't know what happens to the real Aslaug and I don't want to read about them cause I don't want to spoil anything. LOL

ElaineA

All about that action, boss.
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.reneedominick.com
I was very slow to warm up to this show, but I admit I'm hooked. I'm Team Lagertha and Team Rollo, who I would have loved to see dispatch Siggy last night. (Sorry, I'm a bloodthirsty puppy.) Since I didn't watch season 1, I have no leftover disgust for him. He strikes me as a thinker as much as a doer.

I, too, wonder why they don't call Horik out over Borg. He was the one who said Ragnar must leave Borg behind to begin with. Now he says he'll only fight with Borg. Which is is??

Regarding The Blood Eagle, my guess is that in the banquet scene when Ragnar was behind the latticed bars, he watched all of the apparent conspiring among his guests and decided he must act. Horik couldn't get upset without showing his hand. But that is a pure guess. I didn't pick up any clues as to what happened, and my husband thought it was a dream sequence. :Shrug:

I was confused by Bjorn going into the cell beforehand. Is that presaging Ragnar may have trouble on his hands from that side, too? Sometimes this show is so obscure.

CrastersBabies

Burninator!
Registered
Reaction score
Elaine, you should definitely watch season 1. It really gives the long view of the priest's story (Athelstan), which is what got me hooked on this show to begin with.

I too remember Ragnar's watching of the politics going on. His people (and guests) were not very subtle, eh? lol. And Rollo picked up on that, or, Ragnar told him.

As for Bjorn, I honestly think he's going to outshine his father. The old oracle did tell Ragnar that his sons would have fame. I think Bjorn has long adventures ahead of him, but I also think the moment with Jarl Borg showed that he was more thoughtful than Ragnar, more capable of trying to understand men and situations, less inclined to act rashly. This seems very different from Ragnar at times.

00Pepper, I have no idea what is up with Floki. I'm wondering if there was a scene cut somewhere. Floki's only beef with Ragnar (that I can think of) is Athelstan. He's been all up in the priest's face from the get-go, cajoling, threatening, teasing that Athelstan is still a man of Christ. Perhaps Ragnar's comment about the priest (when King Horik told Ragnar that they didn't find the priest's body) turned Floki off? I hope they delve more into this. If Floki is going to push back against Ragnar, we need a better-developed motivation.

mayqueen

Registered
Reaction score
From a purely filmmaking angle, I thought S2E7 was outstanding. The whole show is outstanding, but I loved a lot of the choices. Aslaug and Siggy through the tapestry, Ragnar watching through the lattice, the last five minutes. (Although my partner and I were cowering behind pillows the last five minutes. Yikes. But also really well-shot.)

I totally agree that if Floki is going to turn on Ragnar, he needs better motivation. This show is usually pretty good about character motivation, so that surprised me.

Re: Bjorn. I feel like I picked up more when they were talking and Ragnar was in the bathtub than when Bjorn went into the cell. I mean, the look on the kid's face. Maybe I'm projecting here, but did anyone else wonder if the kid was like, oh shit dude calm down. Like loss of hero-worship?

00Pepper

Super Pepper
Registered
Reaction score
From a purely filmmaking angle, I thought S2E7 was outstanding. The whole show is outstanding, but I loved a lot of the choices. Aslaug and Siggy through the tapestry, Ragnar watching through the lattice, the last five minutes. (Although my partner and I were cowering behind pillows the last five minutes. Yikes. But also really well-shot.)

I totally agree that if Floki is going to turn on Ragnar, he needs better motivation. This show is usually pretty good about character motivation, so that surprised me.

Re: Bjorn. I feel like I picked up more when they were talking and Ragnar was in the bathtub than when Bjorn went into the cell. I mean, the look on the kid's face. Maybe I'm projecting here, but did anyone else wonder if the kid was like, oh shit dude calm down. Like loss of hero-worship?

I thought it was visually stunning as well, kind of creepy in a way. It reminded me of the episode in season 1 with all the pagan rituals and sacrifices.

I think you're right about Bjorn and the loss of hero worship. I felt like he went to visit Jarl Borg to judge himself whether he deserved a blood eagle.

I felt like Jarl Borg needed to be punished but I was definitely pulling for him not to scream so that he could go to Valhalla. I felt like even Ragnar even wanted that at the end, the way he caressed his face, nodded at him and then at the end knelt and put his arm back up in the brace.