Hannibal?

lalyil

The Lukewarm
Registered
Reaction score
I saw that.. I must admit I hate those online "fandoms". Be it Hannibal, Sherlock (a show I absolutely love), Supernatural or whatever. They always seem to love the show blindly, which I don't get. I appreciate critical thinking, even if it's relating to something I love (I consider myself a Nolan fan but I can still admit when he does a bad job). Those "fandoms" which include people of all ages, and not just kids and teens, are really something I don't get. A blind following can actually hurt the productions and their quality.

DancingMaenid

New kid...seven years ago!
Registered
Reaction score
I saw that.. I must admit I hate those online "fandoms". Be it Hannibal, Sherlock (a show I absolutely love), Supernatural or whatever. They always seem to love the show blindly, which I don't get. I appreciate critical thinking, even if it's relating to something I love (I consider myself a Nolan fan but I can still admit when he does a bad job). Those "fandoms" which include people of all ages, and not just kids and teens, are really something I don't get. A blind following can actually hurt the productions and their quality.

Not all people in fandom are totally uncritical or obsessive. There's usually a decent mix of fans in fandom, but in some fandoms, the annoying people are more prevalent/louder.

I've never had much trouble in fandom because I just avoid people like that.

Stiger05

Registered
Reaction score
I've been a fan of lots of things, but have never been part of a fandom, so I don't know enough to have an opinion. It seems like most of the fandom stuff derives from tumblr, which is blocked at work and I don't have a page so I never think to look at it when I'm home. I just thought some of the stuff was funny. I can't help but giggle every time I see "Swiggity swag I'm a stag" for some reason.

victoriajakes

let me tell you about my dogs
Registered
Reaction score
Being in a fandom somehow helps me not nitpick every last flaw of something, which is a bad habit that inhibits my enjoyment of media. Fandom turns watching something (or reading something) into a fun, playful pastime, instead of a critical chore. Too many film studies (and women studies) classes.

Which is perhaps why I was absurdly please with the Hannibal finale. Loved almost every second.

Persei

Let it go
Registered
Reaction score
I just enjoy the jokes and shrugh the bad off.

And the season finale, man! That last scene was so well done that it gave me the creeps.

Stiger05

Registered
Reaction score
Wait...is Giliian Anderson Hannibal's therapist? I thought she was familiar, but man she looks different to me. Maybe it's the hair??

N.P. Browning

Registered
Reaction score
Overall, I really enjoyed the first season. I am a big Mads Mikkelsen fan, so maybe I was a bit biased in my appreciation for his Hannibal.

I thought the show had great acting, superb dialogue, an interesting story, and dynamic characters.

My only critique would be some of it was a bit hard to believe, and every now and then it felt a bit over the top. Also, a couple episodes dragged a bit. Still, this and the UK show The Fall are probably my favorite new series of the year thus far.

JohnnyGottaKeyboard

Who let this guy in...?
Registered
Reaction score
On the rooftoop where he climbed when the laughter
Still, this and the UK show The Fall are probably my favorite new series of the year thus far.
I concur. Interesting that both shows have Gillian Anderson...

Well, I waited a week to allow my reaction to settle (or percolate), but mainly it remains unchanged. I enjoyed the series but found myself with two major reactions to the finale: frustration and bafflement.

Frustrated because I don't trust long-form scripted dramas any more. I've been cheated out of a decent ending too many times because networks decided to pull the plug. Honestly, I actually feel relieved when I see an episode of a show that is self-contained. And this masochistic ending was very unsatisfying...

Which leads into my bafflement. Hannibal, The Following, The Mentalist (and, I could argue, Game of Thrones), when did our species decide we loved serial killers not just as entertainment, but as Ubermensch?

DancingMaenid

New kid...seven years ago!
Registered
Reaction score
I'm not remotely ashamed to admit I started watching this solely for Gillian Anderson. But I am enjoying it so far.

I started watching after I learned she was in it!

As for the issue of believability some people have brought up...that bugged me a little initially, but it doesn't bother me that much because I see the show as being intentionally surreal, in a somewhat low-key way. Bryan Fuller, the showrunner, also did Pushing Daisies, I believe. I think it's common for his shows to be a little on the surreal side, and the style makes me accept a lot of things in Hannibal more that I would in a more played-straight procedural.

lalyil

The Lukewarm
Registered
Reaction score
Which leads into my bafflement. Hannibal, The Following, The Mentalist (and, I could argue, Game of Thrones), when did our species decide we loved serial killers not just as entertainment, but as Ubermensch?

...Dexter.

vintage

Registered
Reaction score
^ there is a relatively old tv show called Profit(1996). I've seen so far 2 episodes, and the MC looks really interesting, for all the bad guys' lovers. The show was cancelled because that time there was no craze over serial killers and typical antagonists..
oh, and Adrian Pasdar has the most amazing butt i've seen a man to have!

I wonder who will play Hannibal's love interest in future season.

(i'm just newbie, hello)

Donnie Marsh

DÈẴƊ ḈỂƝŦƐȐ ƉËẪḒ
Requiescat In Pace
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.donniemarsh.com
Overall, I really enjoyed the first season. I am a big Mads Mikkelsen fan, so maybe I was a bit biased in my appreciation for his Hannibal.

I thought the show had great acting, superb dialogue, an interesting story, and dynamic characters.

My only critique would be some of it was a bit hard to believe, and every now and then it felt a bit over the top. Also, a couple episodes dragged a bit.

This.

Also, I thought the finale was awesome. The ending scene--as someone already said--was so well done it was creepy.

Hapax Legomenon

Registered
Reaction score
Yes I find Hannibal very over-the-top but I feel like I can forgive it a lot of its ridiculous plotholes because I'm mostly watching it for how stylistically pretty it is.

The Hannibal Fandom has its share of crazies as does every fandom but for the most part a lot of it seems based on image edits with flower crowns and macros with dumb jokes on them. As far as fandoms go I'd call it "mostly harmless."

Maxx B

Registered
Reaction score
So does Laurence Fishburne's character die in the books? It looks like they are setting him up as the next victim.

The stories we are watching now lead up to Red Dragon. As Crawford is alive in that book / film along with Silence of the Lambs and Hannibal (although his health is failing by the last book) I'm guessing they need to keep him alive. But as they have already taken liberties with the canon works, it's hard to say.

***Book spoilers ***
In the books Graham and Lecter never work together, Lounds and Bloom are both guys. It is Graham that links Lecter and the Ripper, through Lecter's time as an ER doctor. He makes the link when he spots the wounded man drawing, that Miriam Lass finds in the TV series.

Rhoda Nightingale

Vampire Junkie
Registered
Reaction score
Yes I find Hannibal very over-the-top but I feel like I can forgive it a lot of its ridiculous plotholes because I'm mostly watching it for how stylistically pretty it is.

The Hannibal Fandom has its share of crazies as does every fandom but for the most part a lot of it seems based on image edits with flower crowns and macros with dumb jokes on them. As far as fandoms go I'd call it "mostly harmless."

The recipe swapping is a bit odd, but I agree, heh. I love this fandom. SO much. They've become my very favorite people on Twitter.

ETA: Oh, and let me just add, as a Virginian, to whoever was saying it can't be "fantasy" because it takes place here: We Virginians take pride in our local ghost lore. If there's mysticism to be read into the show, the setting wouldn't detract from it one bit.

Last edited:

Stiger05

Registered
Reaction score
It is definitely stylistically pretty. I've enjoyed this season so far. The nods to different aspects of the books have been fantastic. (i.e. the pit Miriam Lass was found. It puts the lotion on its skin...).

Each episode has been completely enjoyable to watch.

Torgo

Formerly Phantom of Krankor.
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
torgoblog.blogspot.com
The stories we are watching now lead up to Red Dragon. As Crawford is alive in that book / film along with Silence of the Lambs and Hannibal (although his health is failing by the last book) I'm guessing they need to keep him alive. But as they have already taken liberties with the canon works, it's hard to say.

That last ep is a clear statement that we're off on a different track.