Shows about writers

Coreyt0304

Registered
Reaction score
This may seem weird but my biggest motivator to write is shows that implement writing, or that are about writers. For example Californication and Castle both get my creative juices going like crazy. I am curious do you know of other shows, past or present that the main character is a writer?

Helix

socially distancing
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
snailseyeview.medium.com
The Singing Detective.

Murder, She Wrote.

Disturbingly, those two were the first that came to mind.

ETA: And third to mind is the film Adaptation.

Last edited:

Pterofan

Trust me, I'm a writer
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.pterosnest.blogspot.com
Going waaaaaay back, The Dick Van Dyke Show, where Dick played a comedy writer for a variety show. Sally Rogers proved to young, impressionable me that a woman could a) be funny and b) make a living as a writer. I mean, she didn't have a husband, right? She was supporting herself. In New York, yet.

cornflake

practical experience, FTW
Registered
Reaction score
30 Rock.

Sex and the City.

Girls? (sort of)

The West Wing? (Sam and Toby were speechwriters which often figured into the plot)

Sports Night? They wrote the show...

Movies -

Stranger Than Fiction

Mother

The Muse (This and the above are such underrated Brooks classics, imo, though Mother is superiour and more what I think you're looking for.)

Sylvia

Misery ;)

Ruby Sparks (if you can stand both hipster twee whingeing and Paul Dano, neither of which I can for very long).

I'm sure there are plenty others I'm not thinking of, in addition to the ones mentioned by other posters.

Maze Runner

Registered
Reaction score
Albert Brooks' Mother is one of the funniest movies I've ever seen. Debbie Reynolds is hilarious in that.

Other movies, all I can think of right now are Wonder Boys and The Lost Weekend. But I know there are many others. Big surprise, writers like to write about their own experiences.