Fargo - The TV show

Mudcat

Ba-chewy chomp
Registered
Reaction score
Gotta say, I was skeptical when I heard about this show. Don't know why. It's based on a top 10 all-time movie for me. You might think I'd be happy.

Guess I am just a cynical old poop by nature.

Anyway I heard some radio commercials and now I am fully on board. The voices brought me right into it.

(I recall that residents of Fargo, Brainerd et al were none to pleased with how their speech was portrayed in the movie. My prediction based on those radio commercials: they will not be any happier with the TV show.)

Anyway, it's on in a few minutes so LET'S DO THIS!!

Hendo

Custom User Title
Registered
Reaction score
I've been waiting for this since I saw the first commercial and then I forget to watch it lol Your thread is what reminded me. I'm hoping that they'll show it twice in a row.

Mudcat

Ba-chewy chomp
Registered
Reaction score
I really enjoyed it. I am not completely without criticism - I never am - but overall it worked for me bigtime and I am looking forward to the 10 episode run.

I don't know FX's patterns as far as rerunning stuff.

Mudcat

Ba-chewy chomp
Registered
Reaction score
Adding: although the radio ads went straight to lines of dialogue with strong accents/funny-talk, I found the show actually scaled back on that a whole lot compared to the movie. Correct decision IMO.

juniper

Always curious.
Requiescat In Pace
Registered
Reaction score
I've watched the first 3 episodes and will keep watching, even though Billy Bob killed a dog , which could have been avoided, but given his character - I guess it played true.

My husband, on the other hand, watched the first but says he won't watch it anymore.

The dark humor, and just the dark dark, is interesting enough for me to keep with it. Not sure where it's going, though.

onesecondglance

pretending to be awake
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
soundcloud.com
I like it so far. I've never seen the movie, which seems like a major oversight given how entertaining the series is.

mirandashell

Banned
Reaction score
The movie is superb. One of my favourites.

I was also a bit worried about the series but it's pretty good so far. I don't believe that the Coen brothers are only exec producers though. It's got their fingerprints all over it.

Maryn

Baaa!
Staff member
Super Moderator
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
I'm digging it. I keep meaning to look up the music credits, since it's not the original score from the film but certainly captures its flavor. (Carter Burrell, or something close to that?)

Martin Freeman's Nygaard is so very milquetoast I get frustrated with him. Killing his wife was the only time he's demonstrated ownership of a spine.

There are some things I'd do differently--they've treated Billy Bob Thornton's character as if he had the physical strength to lift people with ease, although he's not a large dude, for instance. But overall, fully enjoyable for its delicious darkness.

Maryn, thinking Thornton's IMDb bio lies about his height