Doctor Who (may contain SPOILERS for current episodes)

Maxx B

Registered
Reaction score
I'm still unhappy with their choice of doctor. I think Sue Perkins would make an awesome Dr. I'm sure that once the new series starts, I'll get used to Capaldi.

patskywriter

Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.durhamskywriter.com
I can tell by the twinkle in Capaldi's eye when he said "I'm the new Doctor" that I'm going to like him. The actors who (to me) seemed to really enjoy the role—Tom Baker, McCoy, Eccleston, Tennant, and Smith (and Hurt)—are my favorites. When Tom Baker was replaced by Davison, I quit watching because I felt that Davison didn't have that 'spark.' He played the role too straight and didn't have fun with it (this is just my opinion). I'd say the same for Colin Baker and McGann. I like Pertwee, too. Even though he didn't have that 'twinkle,' I like his foppish appearance and willingness to karate/judo (or whatever that was) his way out of danger.

Last edited:

Sage

Supreme Guessinator
Staff member
Registered
Reaction score
There's one for the new series companions, starting with Rose, too. :D

http://games.usvsth3m.com/2048/doctor-who-companions-edition-10/

You are incredibly evil.

But this one feels a lot less logical than the Doctor one, where it is obvious who comes in what order (although I notice Doctor 8.5 is missing). I have the hardest time processing that Jack comes before Mickey because we're introduced to Mickey first. It is true that Jack become a Companion before Mickey, but that's not the way my brain thinks. Still, lots more Jack that way :D

Cyia

Rewriting My Destiny
Registered
Reaction score
I thought the addition of Bernard was strange, too. He wasn't really a companion.

I guess if they were going strictly in order, Sarah Jane should have been first.

Torgo

Formerly Phantom of Krankor.
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
torgoblog.blogspot.com
When Tom Baker was replaced by Davison, I quit watching because I felt that Davison didn't have that 'spark.' He played the role too straight and didn't have fun with it (this is just my opinion).

Davison was 'my' Doctor, really, because I was the right age. The thing was, though, his first story involved him being limp and rubbish due to a tricky regeneration, and thereafter the showrunners John Nathan-Turner and Eric Saward seemed to delight in making the Doctor an ineffectual presence in a horrendous, violent universe. He'd often try to help out in a Doctorish sort of way, but find himself in the middle of one slaughter after another. They were more interested in scumbag mercenaries and criminals than in Davison's idealistic, self-doubting boy scout of a Time Lord.

RedRajah

Special Snowflake? No. Hailstone
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.fanfiction.net
Yeah, Saward was more than a bit of a [BLEEP] during Davison and Colin Baker's runs. But they both really shine in the Big Finish audios.

And I admit, I had a HUGE crush on Davison as a child. :D

Shadow_Ferret

Court Jester
Registered
Reaction score
Website
shadowferret.wordpress.com
WTF? Is that so those of us who are still upset Matt Smith is leaving will go through withdrawals and be happy just to see Doctor Who again, regardless of Doctor?

And for the record, I still haven't watched the last Matt Smith one. Just can't bring myself to watch him die.

mirandashell

Banned
Reaction score
I couldn't wait to see him go. Hopefully they will get rid of Moff as well and it might get back to what it should be.

RedRajah

Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.fanfiction.net
I couldn't wait to see him go. Hopefully they will get rid of Moff as well and it might get back to what it should be.

My fear is that if it is Gatiss who takes over, he's more than a bit of a Moffat-YesMan himself, so we will still not be free of his taint.

(still want Paul Cornell as new showrunner)

Meanwhile, BBC is putting out a novel with John Hurt's Doctor this summer.

mirandashell

Banned
Reaction score
Ahhh! So he likes more aliens and less emotion.... good. As long as he writes coherent story arcs, I shall be a happy bunny. And some consequences to the Doctor's actions would be nice. And a lot less of the Big Red Button! Ironic use or not!

RedRajah

Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.fanfiction.net
I've probably mentioned it before, but I cannot keep recommending enough the last IDW comic, which Cornell also wrote: "The Girl Who Loved Doctor Who". It is a heartfelt ode to the fandom as a whole without being too schmaltzy or "Look at how CLEVER I am~!" writer-smugness. :)

mirandashell

Banned
Reaction score
I'm not going to get too excited yet. I got excited by Moffat taking over cos of The Library and Girl in the Fireplace and look how that turned out.....

Torgo

Formerly Phantom of Krankor.
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
torgoblog.blogspot.com
I would applaud a Cornell reign, for sure. I had a pint with him once, he's a deeply lovely chap.

Also, his Who novels are nifty and his non-Who novels display all the Who virtues in spades - wit, sense of wonder, horror, a very British whimsy, humanity. One of the chapters in Something More is called 'A Mad Sort of CS Lewis Thing' and he's not wrong.

Last edited:

RedRajah

Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.fanfiction.net
I'm not going to get too excited yet. I got excited by Moffat taking over cos of The Library and Girl in the Fireplace and look how that turned out.....

Very fair points. It'd be "trust, but verify" for me, but I get the hope he'd be an example of a fan taking over who'd Get It Right (unlike Moffat or Joe Quesada over at Marvel) and know how to temper himself. He's already been a very inclusive voice when it comes to more women in SF, so that's encouraging to me.

(and be willing to listen to editors)

RedRajah

Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.fanfiction.net
Just saw a YouTube clip that said Capaldi's episodes will start in August...?

mirandashell

Banned
Reaction score
Haven't seen that. But Moff has said that they won't be cutting the series in two halfs this year.

V.J. Allison

Sunny with a Side of Evilness
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.vjallison.com
I can't wait! I've been seeing August on the official sites and Facebook pages too... We have about 3 months (or less) left to go before we see "Twelve" for more than a few seconds! :D