The Old Neverending PublishAmerica Thread (Publish America)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Patricia

California Dreaming
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.freewebs.com
Sher2 said:
Any agent who would steer anyone to PA should be exposed on publishamericasucks.com, poked by AKA 'til they squeal, and then burned at the stake by Lizzie and me. ;)

Ouch! Remind me never to get on your bad side! :heart:

Canada James

Take off!
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.jamesmccann.info
So Close, Yet Still So Far Away

ResearchGuy said:
If you are ever tempted to start your own fraudulent 'literary agency,' all of the instructions needed are in Fisher's book. All it takes is some ads in Writer's Digest and Literary Marketplace, cheesy letterhead, a line of patter, and absolutely no ethics whatsoever.

Dang. I had everything, except the lack of ethics.

So close ... so close ...

Canada James

Canada James

Take off!
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.jamesmccann.info
Uh Oh

Ed Williams said:
One thing "Ten Percent of Nothing" taught me was that you don't have to be super intelligent to run a successful scam - just be amoral as hell and luck into a good idea/concept. And who do we know out there who might fit into those parameters?

I hope it's not me ... it's not, is it? :crazy:

Canada James

Sher2

Auroraless ExPAtriate
Registered
Reaction score
Website
freewebs.com
Canada James said:
If they were honest and upfront about their practices, treated people politely and didn't smear people on websites they run (it's not right when PA does it, it also isn't right when people who should know better does it), I would say they have a niche to fill.

Canada James
But they are not honest and upfront, they do not treat people decently, and they do smear people left and right. Thus, the right/not right argument is academic and they're fair game, IMO.

MMo

Registered
Reaction score
Ann said:
. . . (SNIPPED). It would seem that Eric Erick, the famous horror writer has joined the PA ranks.

What am I missing here? I admit I don't currently read heavilly in the horror genre, but I am fairly cognizant of the popular authors. The name Eric Erick (the famous horror writer) is unfamiliar to me, and a Google search doesn't shed any light on his work or career. Does anyone have information on his titles or former publishers or memberhship in HWA? Authors' Guild? NINC? NWU? Other organizations?

Mo

Canada James

Take off!
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.jamesmccann.info
A Repeat Post, Really

Sher2 said:
But they are not honest and upfront, they do not treat people decently, and they do smear people left and right. Thus, the right/not right argument is academic and they're fair game, IMO.

I think that's why I said "if." And, also, why I added that those of us who choose to play by their rules must also become "fair game." One more reason to ensure you play from a higher ground, no?

Canada James

Sher2

Auroraless ExPAtriate
Registered
Reaction score
Website
freewebs.com
Canada James said:
I think that's why I said "if." And, also, why I added that those of us who choose to play by their rules must also become "fair game." One more reason to ensure you play from a higher ground, no?

Canada James
I don't know where high ground is any more, and "if" is too much of a gray area. I've been fair game since the day I signed the contract. What's good for the goose...

Sher2

Auroraless ExPAtriate
Registered
Reaction score
Website
freewebs.com
MMo said:
What am I missing here? I admit I don't currently read heavilly in the horror genre, but I am fairly cognizant of the popular authors. The name Eric Erick (the famous horror writer) is unfamiliar to me, and a Google search doesn't shed any light on his work or career. Does anyone have information on his titles or former publishers or memberhship in HWA? Authors' Guild? NINC? NWU? Other organizations?

Mo
I've never heard of him, either. Maybe it's another Great Weiner Debacle.;)

Deleted member 42

Canada James said:
PA claims they have "no control over the price of their books" once they're entered into LS's database. That means if they screw up and set your book price at $99.99 instead of $19.99, there's jack-diddley (did I spell that right?) they can do to fix it.

That is not my experience with LS at all; all it takes is a phone call from the listed contact person, or log in in with the right credentials to request the price change; as long as LS makes the amount they need, they don't care what the list price is.

AnneMarble

Nefarious Ghost Fan
Registered
Reaction score
Website
gorokandwulf.blogspot.com
Ann said:
. . . to see what the latest might be on the PA private board. Business as usual. To those of you who frequented there regularly, you know what that means. I will respect my peers and not copy paste from there, but will pass this general information on to you. It would seem that Eric Erick, the famous horror writer has joined the PA ranks.

What has he written? I couldn't find him on Amazon, but I was probably spelling it wrong. :) Or is he a short story writer? If that's the case, I would be less likely to know of him. Most of the short horror I read these days consists of stories by long dead British and Irish guys.

P.S. Except for SF/horror author Bob Lehman, who is American and still alive but in his 80s or 90s. His SF story Window freaked me out.
:faint:

Sher2

Auroraless ExPAtriate
Registered
Reaction score
Website
freewebs.com
lindylou45 said:
You very well might have. :Shrug:
Naw, not yet, not by far, not with the site being updated every half constantly. :faint:

MMo

Registered
Reaction score
Ann said:
I was passing on the information as I got it.

I knew you were, and my query had nothing to do with your veracity -- I was just surprised that I hadn't heard of this "famous" author. (Which is entirely possible, I know.)

Mo

Sher2

Auroraless ExPAtriate
Registered
Reaction score
Website
freewebs.com
Ann said:
I spelled the name wrong -- sorry about that.

Eric Enck's first novel is entitled "Tell Me Your Name."
It supposedly has sold over thirty thousand copies through Teri Woods publishing.

It supposedly has been reviewed by Stephen King on Amazon.com and Barnes and Noble.com has given it 5 star ratings...

The deal is Eric Enck's second novel entitled "The Work" is to be released by PA later this year.

The author is reported to have accomplished 150 signings across America and is ready to do it again. He was featured in SOURCE magazine and ROLING STONE's OCT. issue.
If he's achieved even a modicum of success elsewhere, then it's even more astounding that he would stoop to PA. He may be in line to get hurt more so than others of us when the pirate ship goes down.

mdin

The late, the great XThe NavigatorX
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.mattdinniman.com
Ann said:
through Teri Woods publishing.

I've read about Teri Woods before. She self-published her book and did very, very well with it. It appears this book is published under the company she had created to publish her own book.

Oh, and here is the "review by Stephen King."

review

The only other info of substance I can find about this guy is someone's blistering blog entry here (you must scroll way down. Search for "enck.")

Last edited:

Sher2

Auroraless ExPAtriate
Registered
Reaction score
Website
freewebs.com
Ann said:
Agreed. And any future pubs would be a little dubious as to why he went with PA?
Oh, for sure. It's much akin to cutting his own throat. Future pubs/agents/readers are going to wonder if he was suicidal, got a sweetheart deal he couldn't refuse, or just what he was thinking.

lindylou45

The Stooge Slayer
Registered
Reaction score
DaveKuzminski said:
As best I recall, the previous two that PA forced to shut down also started out as pro-PA. I wouldn't want to be in the shoes of a PA author trying to ban another PA author for speaking out on what should be an independent board.

Amyway, the typical PA tactic in the past has been to threaten to make the author's (board operator) book unavailable if the board operator doesn't toe the line. However, that's what a lot of authors actually want now that they know that PA truly is a scam. I wonder if we should recommend to PA authors trying to get terminated that they start up a forum of their own and permit negative comments about PA?

There's a forum on www.publishamericasucks.com. Anyone can post, even Larry, Curlem, Moe-randa, and their Real Estate lawyer too. I'd love to hear from them. :hi:

lindylou45

The Stooge Slayer
Registered
Reaction score
Sher2 said:
Okay, AKA, you can come to my house and we'll have a sleepover. I have a 20-pound guard dog and she's hell on Stooges. If Lizzie calls, however, we're grabbing the matches and hitting the road. :Jump:

My guard dog's bigger than yours!! To protect me from the Stooges!

AnneMarble

Nefarious Ghost Fan
Registered
Reaction score
Website
gorokandwulf.blogspot.com
Ann said:
I spelled the name wrong -- sorry about that.

Eric Enck's first novel is entitled "Tell Me Your Name."

I can see why you'd spell that name wrong. :) The letters run together and make me dizzy. (BTW there was a rule in the old days of comic books. The word "flick" wasn't allowed because the ink in the letters l and i might run together, getting the company in big trouble. <g>)

Ann said:
It supposedly has sold over thirty thousand copies through Teri Woods publishing.

It supposedly has been reviewed by Stephen King on Amazon.com and Barnes and Noble.com has given it 5 star ratings...

Found it! I did see a review by "SK "Stephen" (Maine)." Don't know if that's the same guy. :) No way of telling, of course. Stephen King does like a lot of books, but doesn't he usually sign his name when he says something nice about a book? (Like when he does blurbs.)

Ann said:
The deal is Eric Enck's second novel entitled "The Work" is to be released by PA later this year.

Poor thing. :(

Or maybe... Whyyyyyyy?!

Not sure which I prefer. :D

Last edited:

mdin

Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.mattdinniman.com
XThe NavigatorX said:
I've read about Teri Woods before. She self-published her book and did very, very well with it. It appears this book is published under the company she had created to publish her own book.

Oh, and here is the "review by Stephen King."

review

The only other info of substance I can find about this guy is someone's blistering blog entry here (you must scroll way down. Search for "enck.")

Furthermore, a search of Rolling Stone's back issues comes up with nothing, the five-star BN ranking comes from four reviews posted within two weeks of each other (including one that says from "Robert Kneelson-Newspaper Editor" None of the daily newspapers in Delaware list a Robert Kneelson as an editor. Or a Bob. I checked. To be fair, not all of them listed all their editors, but it is dubious).

I can't search back issues of Source magazine, but I'd bet at least eight dollars the only place he's featured--if at all--is in the classifieds.

I called Ingram and check on his stats. He's done pretty well, but nothing to write home about. 137 sales this year and 339 last year. It's possible that translates to 30,000 sales when you factor in other distributors.

But "famous author"? I don't think so.

No offense to Mr. Enck intended, who I'm sure is an excellent author.

My theory is he puffed up his submission letter so much PA got over excited.

Last edited:

mdin

Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.mattdinniman.com
XThe NavigatorX said:
My theory is he puffed up his submission letter so much PA got over excited.

Actually, I take that back. I had been under the impression PA had posted a news release about this guy, but I was just informed the above "press release" had been posted by Mr. Enck himself. It also appears he joined PA through an agent.

I officially take back every nasty thing I said and implied about him. :(

I need to get back to writing. Night all!

Canada James

Take off!
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.jamesmccann.info
Duh

Medievalist said:
That is not my experience with LS at all; all it takes is a phone call from the listed contact person, or log in in with the right credentials to request the price change; as long as LS makes the amount they need, they don't care what the list price is.

Of course LS will allow a publisher to set its own price. I was making light of PA's response to me, and perhaps shedding a little light to them on how inept their stance makes them look. Why would a new author want to go with a publishing company that can't control the price of its own wares?

Canada James

Status
Not open for further replies.