Favorite lines you've written

bluntforcetrauma

Esquire
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
"We'll just see whose ass stinks the loudest" Dickie said as he pummeled Kenny in the face again.

From my novel "Coffman's Well"

Vomaxx

Registered
Reaction score
Website
andiriel.blogspot.com
"Your Majesty has no more devoted servant than I!"
"If that is true, it is time I abdicated."
--------------------
"I'll use my feminine wiles."
"What if they don't work?"
"I'll hit him."
---------------------
(To a potential enemy): "My men would rather die than retreat!"
"And we'd rather win than retreat. I guess we can both get our wish."
------------------------
"You mercenaries are just hired killers."
"Not at the moment. Nobody's hired us yet."
----------------------------
"Ply him with wine. If that fails, ply him with sex. Just find out what we need to know."
---------------------
"The halberd is an unbalanced weapon--like many halberdiers."
------------------------
"Can you take that position?"
"Probably not, sir, but we'd be happy to die trying."
-----------------------
"You may be right, but I've got the sword."
------------------------
"We're mad enough to kill."
"Are you mad enough to get killed?"
---------------------------
"Give out wound badges? Why? It takes no skill at all to get wounded."
--------------------------
"Don't waste shots. Arrows don't grow on trees."
"Don't they, sir?"
-----------------------

Charlie Horse

Speaking in metaphors
Registered
Reaction score
Website
imablogginghorse.blogspot.com
Wrote this one this morning. Scene is in a cheap Hollywood motel room in the 60s. Of course Rod is a newcomer to this planet.

“Ssooo,” Rod’s voice trembled as he marveled at the bed with magic fingers and the wild effect it had on the TV show he was watching. “Iiiis thiis whe-e-e-re you waaant to speeend your liiife?”

Axelle

Registered
Reaction score
I absolutely love Vomaxx's quotes ! The one about the wound badges is hilarious, and I really love the one about abdicating too. I'll have to watch myself not to include them in my own work !

Selcaby

Writer of wrongs
Registered
Reaction score
I love Varthikes's line!

Hollan

Stage name = Chainsaw Sally
Registered
Reaction score
Website
dreambyday-hollan.blogspot.com
Here's something from one of my WIPs.

The boy merely grunted a reply. Cruelty and indifference were things he could deal with. Concepts he could understand. Kindness was something else all together.

“There are none dear to me any longer. They’ve gone to the abyss and are beyond my reach,” he said and was thankful his voice didn’t falter.

“If you are the first you’re reach is wide.”

“Not so wide as that.”

And from another WIP, uh, strong language warning. . . .

“Not a faggot? You wear make-up like a faggot.”

“And you suck dick like one. See how that works?”

Vomaxx

Registered
Reaction score
Website
andiriel.blogspot.com
I absolutely love Vomaxx's quotes ! The one about the wound badges is hilarious, and I really love the one about abdicating too. I'll have to watch myself not to include them in my own work !

:D
Thank you, or rather, merci beaucoup.

Last edited:

Varthikes

Dragon Writer
Registered
Reaction score
Draconia, Orion's Arm, Alpha Quadrant, Milky Way G
From a philosophical scene between my two main characters, Audwin and Varthikes. I actually love the whole scene, but these bits are my highlights:

“Oh, Varth, why is it so difficult for some to look beyond our physical differences?”

From what I have observed in our readings together, Humans and Draconians are similar in that area—at least, some of them—not ones like you and me. They fear what is unknown. They fail to understand it, so they reject it and fight it. Your kind cannot understand that there can exist intelligent beings who resemble creatures out of your own fiction—creatures who were often portrayed as evil. My kind do not understand why creatures so different from us physically, as you say, can be so much like us in mind—just as honorable. And, they do not understand why Sage Vethes would show mercy to Shelski seven cycles ago.

A little bit later in the same scene.

“You're a wise creature, my friend.”

Together are we even wiser.

Feathers

emerging from the writing cave
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.headdeskforwriters.blogspot.com
From an old story, Touching The Blood.

Far away, bloated clouds hung low over the mountains; some poked their bellies on a mountain peak, others rested along the mountain’s spine.

And two from my WIP, Volition. In this exceprt Lucas, aka SunglassesGuy, is recieving a text from the antagonist.

Don’t pretend you can run

Lucas twisted his face into a smile, or a grimace.

I don’t need to pretend

And another from the same WIP:

It was a raw kind of pain, superficial. Skin wounds. His head hurt, though, like those crazy EMT’s had screwed stuff into his brain.

-Feathers

ACEnders

Self-Banned
Registered
Reaction score
Website
strugglingwritersblog.blogspot.com
...rather than let the possibility of lightening and cold and pelting rain scare them into hiding, they made love. Out in the open, cool summer rain against their skin, their pleasure and love larger than any clap of thunder. When the storm disappeared to the east, they lay languidly in each other's arms as the sun warmed them and dried the last drops of sweat and rain from their skin.

Joycecwilliams

Registered
Reaction score
“Joyce, you’ll never be able to have the whole enchilada unless you like corn tortillas.” Larry says with a smirk.

LC030308

Registered
Reaction score
Her light blue pantsuit hugged her figure like a second skin, leaving almost nothing to the imagination. She was running toward her brightly yellow colored sports car, trying to avoid the falling raindrops. Lucifer smiled thinking, not getting wet would be the least of her worries in a few short moments.

Charlie Horse

Speaking in metaphors
Registered
Reaction score
Website
This thread so motivates me to keep writing good lines. Here's from my WIP written this morning.

“Do you have a name along with maybe a suggestion of how we should handle this awkwardness?”
“Yeah,” the man answered. “Doug.”
“That’s a funny name,” said Peri.
“You’re kind of small and excitable,” Rod observed. “How about we call you ‘Mouse’. It’s easier to remember.”

C.M.C.

Archetype
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.freewebs.com
My favorite:

It was with a broken smile that I abandoned my youth in an instant; the same twisted Cheshire grin that had accompanied each cackle of insanity the bereavement had drawn through the tepid mesh of my soul.

Joycecwilliams

Registered
Reaction score
Once we walked a mile to attend a different church, so we could confess our sins of the flesh. Ethan had to say the entire Rosary for penance, but I received only one Hail Mary for my sin. On the way home, Ethan joked and remarked that the next time we went to confession he wanted to go to the priest that I had.

Charlie Horse

Speaking in metaphors
Registered
Reaction score
Website
Thought it was time to revive this thread. I think I like this because my just started WIP is a departure from anything I've ever written, and thought of it because there's another thread going discussing working outside your genre. I hate to call it fantasy because I'm not a fantasy writer, but this is meandering in that direction.

Though fearful, he couldn’t help but admire the beauty of the beast, with its fierce black eyes showing intelligence and it muscular shanks tightly defined. But it held the better position with him flat on his back and the horse’s front hooves poised to come down upon him. It seemed he was about to be trampled by a bewitched toy. He rolled to one side just in time to keep from getting his skull bashed in and in doing so, knocked into a waist high statue of a faun child--that is a boy with the legs of a goat. Immediately it sprang to life, jumping onto his chest and taking the wind from his lungs. This set off a chain reaction of sorts, in which many of the other items in the shop seemed to come to life.

This was going to be even harder than he imagined.

Jordygirl

Nothing doing.
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.redthebook.blogspot.com
Possibly (but not probably) my favorite line I've EVER written, from my HuffPo article on race. (Here, scroll down, because I am not Zulay.)

--Our comfort zones are outlined as clearly as if we had marked them with police tape. We do not step outside.--

Constantine K

Registered
Reaction score
I've noticed many of these openers start with setting description. Not trying to call anyone out, but aren't you trying to hook me?

Just not the first sentence. Please.

Joycecwilliams

Registered
Reaction score
Possibly (but not probably) my favorite line I've EVER written, from my HuffPo article on race. (Here, scroll down, because I am not Zulay.)

--Our comfort zones are outlined as clearly as if we had marked them with police tape. We do not step outside.--

I like this... however I would take the first as, and had out...
Our comfort zones are outlined clearly as if we marked them with police tape. We do not step outside.

Last edited: