How to manage all your submissions?

Pushingfordream

Writing about life!
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.danielwallock.com
Hey everyone, I currently have 20+ submissions out over 4 pieces. Can I get some advice on managing all of this? How do you go about managing so many submissions? I will be submitting 5 more pieces soon so I gotta a find a better system of managing my submissions.

fihr

Registered
Reaction score
My answer will probably be the same as most people's.

1. Use a submissions tracking system:
  • The Submissions Grinder - free
  • Duotrope - annual or monthly fee
  • Your own spreadsheet in Excel or similar, tailored to your specific needs. Some people do this anyway as a back-up to the online systems.

It really is that simple. You can enter all your submissions in any of these options, including multiple submissions of the same piece.

The Grinder or Duotrope are also useful for searching for markets. I've been trialling the Grinder but I still use Duotrope. Check each one out to see if it covers the genre of markets you are looking for. Duotrope covers more markets at the moment, but the Grinder is growing and the guys there are friendly and very responsive to new information (faster than Duotrope).

Occasionally you might find a market or submission call that isn't listed. The Grinder may add it if you inform them. Or you can keep your own spreadsheet. Sometimes the Grinder will let me track a market and its responses, when Duotrope won't. A recent example is Flytrap.

Last edited:

Brynn

Registered
Reaction score
I use a spreadsheet organized by market, plus I put each piece into one of three folders: "On Submission," "In Progress," or "Sold."

For the spreadsheet, each market has a row. The latest sub goes at the end of the row, with a start date. When I get a rejection or acceptance, I add a closing date. I also color code (current sub, rejection, or acceptance).

Not sure what you'd add to track sim subs; I don't really do those (I write SFF, so most magazines I submit to don't accept them).

Pushingfordream

Writing about life!
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.danielwallock.com
I use a spreadsheet organized by market, plus I put each piece into one of three folders: "On Submission," "In Progress," or "Sold."

For the spreadsheet, each market has a row. The latest sub goes at the end of the row, with a start date. When I get a rejection or acceptance, I add a closing date. I also color code (current sub, rejection, or acceptance).

Not sure what you'd add to track sim subs; I don't really do those (I write SFF, so most magazines I submit to don't accept them).

Screen shot?

Also can I get a screen shot of Duotrope manager?

Brynn

Registered
Reaction score
Mine is just an example. Go ahead and personalize. Have fun. No screenshot, sorry. If something I've said is unclear, feel free to ask for specific clarification.

ACFantasy

Registered
Reaction score
I also use a spreadsheet. At the top of each column, I list a story name and wordcount. At the beginning of each row, I list a market. I color code the cells between to indicate things like 'submitted', 'rejected', and... well, that's actually all I've got now, but I do have a color for 'accepted' I hope to use later.

I then use a second spreadsheet for each market, detailing things like pay rate, multiple and simultaneous submissions, how to submit, etc.

I just started using Grinder, but while it looks useful for finding new markets, I'm not all that comfortable using it or all my tracking yet.

Izz

Doing the Space Operatic
Staff member
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.justgoodfiction.com
Sonar3 is what i use. Simple database program specifically designed for writers to keep track of subs. Free too.

Aislinn

Head down
Registered
Reaction score
Sonar3 is what i use. Simple database program specifically designed for writers to keep track of subs. Free too.

Izz, can you tell me if Sonar3 has a way to keep track of contractual agreements (ie sold stories/rights sold/payment received) as well as current submissions? I feel like I don't have a good grip on that aspect of things yet.

In response to the OP, I'm happy with Duotrope for current subs, though thinking of trialing the Grinder to cut costs. $5 buys a month's trial of Duotrope if you want to see if it works for you.

Dani79

Registered
Reaction score
Website
daniellengales.com
Izz, can you tell me if Sonar3 has a way to keep track of contractual agreements (ie sold stories/rights sold/payment received) as well as current submissions? I feel like I don't have a good grip on that aspect of things yet.

The Grinder has post-acceptance fields that let you make a note of money earned, dates rights revert etc.

Izz

Doing the Space Operatic
Staff member
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.justgoodfiction.com
Izz, can you tell me if Sonar3 has a way to keep track of contractual agreements (ie sold stories/rights sold/payment received) as well as current submissions?
Aislinn, Sonar3 has a way to keep track of sold stories and payment received. There's nothing that i can see in the way of keeping track of rights sold, though.

OJCade

Registered
Reaction score
I use Duotrope. I love it - the Grinder looks good too, but doesn't have the range of poetry markets I'm after, so I stick with Duotrope.

SimplyWrite

Registered
Reaction score
I highly recommend Duotrope. The small amount of money is well worth it. As of a few years ago they had no feature for listing money you made or whatever. But maybe they do now.

Lady MacBeth

Out, damn'd spot! out, I say.
Registered
Reaction score
I highly recommend Duotrope. The small amount of money is well worth it. As of a few years ago they had no feature for listing money you made or whatever. But maybe they do now.

There is also the Submission Grinder which is very good and it's free.