The Novel Challenge Hub

bettielee

I'm a sparkly fairy princess!
Registered
Reaction score
Website
bettielee.wordpress.com
I got 3179 for the "day" though, technically, it counts on Thursdays "card" if you will. I have not accepted that it's supposed to be Friday. I didn't feel good when I came home, so I took a huge long nap, then got up and wrote.

Todays writing was not good. Weird transitional chapter between heroine losing her aunt and traveling to the site of her new home. The really good stuff starts tomorrow.

ShadowFox

Registered
Reaction score
Things you shouldn't do during NaNo: start writing the synopsis for your next novel.

Ovid9

Professional Procrastinator
Registered
Reaction score
I've been getting a lot written. I even sorta like the story I have going.

I am going to hate life if I ever try to edit it to any sort of readable fashion though. Oi.

Good job and good luck to all!

Aggy B.

Not as sweet as you think
Registered
Reaction score
Thanks to the may-or-may-not-be-strep-throat infection, I've gotten pretty much nothing done.

The good news, the meds seem to be doing the trick. Aside from a scary cough I'm feeling MUCH better today. Perhaps I'll have enough energy to crank out a few thousand words this evening.

Aggy, optomistic

zanzjan

killin' all teh werds
Staff member
Kind Benefactor
VPX
VPXI
Registered
Reaction score
As a single dad with a young daughter, gotta make time when I can. Usually after her bed time and before mine. But it'll be fun.

I've got two little ones and that's about the only time I find to write, too. If you're willing to tolerate a certain amount of slip keeping up with laundry and dishes, and can function on really short sleep, you can get a lot done (-:

Good luck to you as well.

zanzjan

killin' all teh werds
Staff member
Kind Benefactor
VPX
VPXI
Registered
Reaction score
Speaking of getting a lot done: I'm not.

Lost power last Saturday in the massive eastern-US snowstorm, just got it back late yesterday afternoon. Five nights in a cold, dark house trying to keep two toddlers warm was not especially conducive to getting writing -- or much of anything -- done.

Anyhow, not sure when I'm going to get back to writing. Just don't have it in me right now.

Izz

Doing the Space Operatic
Staff member
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.justgoodfiction.com
I got 3179 for the "day" though, technically, it counts on Thursdays "card" if you will. I have not accepted that it's supposed to be Friday. I didn't feel good when I came home, so I took a huge long nap, then got up and wrote.

Todays writing was not good. Weird transitional chapter between heroine losing her aunt and traveling to the site of her new home. The really good stuff starts tomorrow.
Good going, bettie! :)

Things you shouldn't do during NaNo: start writing the synopsis for your next novel.
Hee! But just think how much further you'll be ahead when you get around to writing the next novel... :D

I've been getting a lot written. I even sorta like the story I have going.

I am going to hate life if I ever try to edit it to any sort of readable fashion though. Oi.

Good job and good luck to all!
Yay! And editing's an acquired taste. But, now, i love editing almost as much as writing the story. Strange, huh?

Thanks to the may-or-may-not-be-strep-throat infection, I've gotten pretty much nothing done.

The good news, the meds seem to be doing the trick. Aside from a scary cough I'm feeling MUCH better today. Perhaps I'll have enough energy to crank out a few thousand words this evening.

Aggy, optomistic
Feeling better is good. Hopefully you were able to crank those words out :)

Speaking of getting a lot done: I'm not.

Lost power last Saturday in the massive eastern-US snowstorm, just got it back late yesterday afternoon. Five nights in a cold, dark house trying to keep two toddlers warm was not especially conducive to getting writing -- or much of anything -- done.

Anyhow, not sure when I'm going to get back to writing. Just don't have it in me right now.
*hugs* I'm sure you'll feel like writing again soon. Don't push yourself into it :)

bettielee

Registered
Reaction score
Website
bettielee.wordpress.com
another super late start - but tonight the story went along so much better! I luv quirky characters! The backbone of the gothic novel!

My wordcount per day that I want is at least 3k, but I noticed each night my "over" was slipping.... tonight I put my head down when I hit 3100 and said, ah, do another 20 minutes! I ended up with 3806 for a total of 13547

JoyMC

Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.joymcculloughcarranza.com
i'm hearing everyone with the sickies and small kids around - i've got both. (though extra major props to single parents - i don't know how you do it.)

i've finished the first pass through my requested revision! and research on the WIP has been lots of fun. i'm happy to not have word count obsessions - but i feel i'm getting lots done!

V1c

Hmmmmm
Registered
Reaction score
A little over 8K in, I refused to go to sleep last night until I finished a section (so about 3K written yesterday) but am so behind on life stuff it's all arghy! I hope to get more in today/tomorrow.

AnnieColleen

Invisible Writer
Registered
Reaction score

What about making notes for the re-outline and re-write of last year's NaNovel? :D

I'm happy with this year's so far. A day ahead on wordcount, plot is on track -- for not much over the NaNo target, which is weird for me. But I'm keeping notes on what to add in later, and it should come out right. I wish I'd had more time to prep with the method I found mid-October (storyfix.com), since it seems to be helping a lot, but ok, that can go in the editing outline this time around. And this character and this story are just overall a lot of fun. :)

Lillie

practical experience, FTW
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Oh God. What a mess.

Do you hear that thumping noise? That's me whacking my head against the internet as I write piles and piles of tripe.

Chapter 6. The one where I torture nuns. Lol.

I've given up. The only thing that counts now is making that word count.

faerydancer

Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.brendastokes.com
I'm at 7,995 words right now. Still going to write more tonight. I'm determined to finish this book! The manuscript is at 72k though so I'm rolling right along. Now, if I could just stop characters from glancing, sighing, shaking their heads, laughing, and getting lost in their thoughts. :)

Ovid9

Registered
Reaction score
Oh God. What a mess.

Do you hear that thumping noise? That's me whacking my head against the internet as I write piles and piles of tripe.

Chapter 6. The one where I torture nuns. Lol.

I've given up. The only thing that counts now is making that word count.

Well Lillie, at least you have chapters. I abandoned all hope of anything that resembled a novel when I started.

I'm chugging right along word wise...but lord, I don't have any idea where things are going. I'm positive the whole thing makes little sense. I'm coming up on the first big "event" and I really have no clue what's going to happen with it. Oi....

Oh well, this is about writing! I am writing!

Lillie

Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Lol

They aren't really chapters. It's just days. Today is chapter 6 because it's the crap I'm writing on day 6.

And I'd better get on with it. The nuns are trembling in fear.

Edit.
No, damn it. I'm going to put the kettle on instead.

Ovid9

Registered
Reaction score
Lol.

Tea, then make the nuns tremble in fear. Priorities are important.

LilliCray

Plot? What plot?
Registered
Reaction score
Website
mutteringsofascribe.blogspot.com
I'm having issues. :( Bad story.

Well, to be fair, I think it's getting a little better. I got through a scene that just totally killed me yesterday, and it turned out to be 926 words, which, I want to write more, but I'm exhausted and proud of myself for getting that scene done and at least fairly decently at that, and so I plan to watch a 30-minute episode, go to sleep, and catch up tomorrow. (Seriously, it's not like I'm lacking for time. I'm taking 12 credits this semester. o_O I know, I know, I'm a slacker... Bad me.)

I'm still being pragmatic and only forcing myself to get 30k, but... I WANT MY 50K. RAWR. (Mostly so I can get 50% off Scrivener and ask for it for Christmas and not feel quite so guilty about the price. I like Scrivener. Scrivener is fun. I don't wanna go back to Word after NaNo...!)

Oh, yeah, and apparently I've got a second NaNovel I'm writing when I'm totally bloody stuck on the first one. Not something I really need distracting me, especially since the chances of it reaching 50k are very, very low (I have absolutely zero planning for this one, as opposed to slightly above absolutely zero planning for the first one), but it's fun to write and kept me from going absolutely ballistic on myself for not being able to write anything decent... so, meh, whatever.

I feel so very... flighty. >.< I'm not sure that even makes sense. Maybe I should just go to bed *now*...

Lillie

Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
I'm so ashamed.

I did bad things to nuns...

bettielee

Registered
Reaction score
Website
bettielee.wordpress.com
Today was a pretty easy 4k! I'm up to 17,784. Not bad for only 5 days of writing. I was brought low by a headache yesterday. I'm going to increase my word count over the next couple days to make up for it.

So much fun. My girl is ensconced in her crazy guardian's house, has been taunted by the maid, insulted by the butler and frightened by the ghost. Also visited by the vampire and/or the ghost of her mother in a dream. :)

I seem to be piling up things on my poor servants. I've got a deaf/mute groom, a maid with one eye blinded by a cataract. I was going to give the butler a palsy in one hand, but ended up just giving him really bad hair and baldness.

Izz

Doing the Space Operatic
Staff member
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.justgoodfiction.com
i've finished the first pass through my requested revision! and research on the WIP has been lots of fun. i'm happy to not have word count obsessions - but i feel i'm getting lots done!
Go you! :e2cheer:

I forced myself not to show up here until I got a good chunk done. ;) The beginning it pretty tough.
Write, write, write ;)

A little over 8K in, I refused to go to sleep last night until I finished a section (so about 3K written yesterday) but am so behind on life stuff it's all arghy! I hope to get more in today/tomorrow.
3K in a day is good! And be careful not to get so far behind on life-stuff that one day it suddenly overwhelms and ties your writing arms behind your back.

What about making notes for the re-outline and re-write of last year's NaNovel? :D

I'm happy with this year's so far. A day ahead on wordcount, plot is on track -- for not much over the NaNo target, which is weird for me. But I'm keeping notes on what to add in later, and it should come out right. I wish I'd had more time to prep with the method I found mid-October (storyfix.com), since it seems to be helping a lot, but ok, that can go in the editing outline this time around. And this character and this story are just overall a lot of fun. :)
w00t! :hooray:

I'm at 7,995 words right now. Still going to write more tonight. I'm determined to finish this book! The manuscript is at 72k though so I'm rolling right along. Now, if I could just stop characters from glancing, sighing, shaking their heads, laughing, and getting lost in their thoughts. :)
Do your characters roll their eyes around the room? I read a book a while ago where by the end i was almost certain the eyes were characters of their own. They were doing all sorts of strange things.

I'm having issues. :( Bad story.

Well, to be fair, I think it's getting a little better. I got through a scene that just totally killed me yesterday, and it turned out to be 926 words, which, I want to write more, but I'm exhausted and proud of myself for getting that scene done and at least fairly decently at that, and so I plan to watch a 30-minute episode, go to sleep, and catch up tomorrow. (Seriously, it's not like I'm lacking for time. I'm taking 12 credits this semester. o_O I know, I know, I'm a slacker... Bad me.)

I'm still being pragmatic and only forcing myself to get 30k, but... I WANT MY 50K. RAWR. (Mostly so I can get 50% off Scrivener and ask for it for Christmas and not feel quite so guilty about the price. I like Scrivener. Scrivener is fun. I don't wanna go back to Word after NaNo...!)

Oh, yeah, and apparently I've got a second NaNovel I'm writing when I'm totally bloody stuck on the first one. Not something I really need distracting me, especially since the chances of it reaching 50k are very, very low (I have absolutely zero planning for this one, as opposed to slightly above absolutely zero planning for the first one), but it's fun to write and kept me from going absolutely ballistic on myself for not being able to write anything decent... so, meh, whatever.

I feel so very... flighty. >.< I'm not sure that even makes sense. Maybe I should just go to bed *now*...
Sleep is good. Usually things look much less enormous after a good sleep :)

I've never tried Scrivener. I'd like to one day, though.

Today was a pretty easy 4k! I'm up to 17,784. Not bad for only 5 days of writing. I was brought low by a headache yesterday. I'm going to increase my word count over the next couple days to make up for it.

So much fun. My girl is ensconced in her crazy guardian's house, has been taunted by the maid, insulted by the butler and frightened by the ghost. Also visited by the vampire and/or the ghost of her mother in a dream. :)

I seem to be piling up things on my poor servants. I've got a deaf/mute groom, a maid with one eye blinded by a cataract. I was going to give the butler a palsy in one hand, but ended up just giving him really bad hair and baldness.
Make sure to give one of the servants body odor issues :D

As an aside: i often find myself forgetting to incorporate the sense of smell in my stories. In fact, i think i need to add some smells to this WIP. *whooshes off, sniffing like a bloodhound*

Izz

Doing the Space Operatic
Staff member
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.justgoodfiction.com
Well, i'm getting words down pretty well, too, for me. But i have this nagging feeling the story's starting way too slow. Which could be a side-effect of mostly writing shorts, or could be on the money.

Meh and onward, sayeth i! I'm just happy to be writing :)

Last edited:

Button

Resident in Question
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.calissaleigh.com
I got in another scene, just under 2k. I'm stopping there today because I expect someone to show up sometime today. If I get a chance I'll write more later. I'm not quiet in everyone's head yet but I'm getting there. Had the opportunity to add to they mystery AND a surprising new character that I adore. :)