Write 1/Sub 1 2014

SamuraiHex

Registered
Reaction score
Website
samuraihex.weebly.com
Writing Goals For 2014

My goals for 2014 are most likely going to be...

1. Finish my first full novel (long term goal).
2. Also write a short story every couple of months.
3. Throughout a month hopefully have done three or more chapters of my book.
4. Each week hopefully have written a thousand words or more.
5. Aim to write each day, be it even for thirty minutes.

Izz

Doing the Space Operatic
Staff member
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.justgoodfiction.com
Awesome stuff, peeps!

Welcome to W1S1, Kaitlin Brianna and Samurai Hex!

ravenlea

AW Addict
Registered
Reaction score
I need to get back on track and this helped me in 2013. My 2014 goals are:

Write one short story a month.
Submit two short stories a month. (I have a lot sitting around and gathering dust.)
Start querying two novels that are ready to go out, revise two more, and write at least one more.

That should keep me busy for most of the year.

Izz

Doing the Space Operatic
Staff member
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.justgoodfiction.com
Hooray ravenlea! :hooray:

Great to have you on board again! :)

Almondjoy

Keep moving forward <3
Registered
Reaction score
I've always wanted to try my hand at short stories, and 2014 may as well be the year I do it!

I want to write and submit at least 5 short stories throughout the year.
I also want to write at least a poem a month- but finding markets will be harder, so I'm not going to require myself to submit all of those. ;)

Izz

Doing the Space Operatic
Staff member
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.justgoodfiction.com
Welcome to W1S1, Almondjoy! :welcome: It's great to have you part of the team!

elinor

Registered
Reaction score
My goals for this year are,

1. Finish current YA Urban Fantasy, ready it for queries. Goal; finish rough draft by end of January. I think I can do it, outline is getting thorough, and I've done it for NaNoWriMo in the past.

2. Finish edits on two other books by March. Both are on something like fiftieth iterations, so they are getting pretty polished and rationally are probably ready and I am just being a giant chicken.

3. Submit queries for all three books. Depends on who is looking for what, since I don't want to send the same agent three different queries at once, that would probably be rude.

4. Find Wonderful Awesome Agent/Advocate (trying to think positive here).

Izz

Doing the Space Operatic
Staff member
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.justgoodfiction.com
My goals for this year are,

1. Finish current YA Urban Fantasy, ready it for queries. Goal; finish rough draft by end of January. I think I can do it, outline is getting thorough, and I've done it for NaNoWriMo in the past.

2. Finish edits on two other books by March. Both are on something like fiftieth iterations, so they are getting pretty polished and rationally are probably ready and I am just being a giant chicken.

3. Submit queries for all three books. Depends on who is looking for what, since I don't want to send the same agent three different queries at once, that would probably be rude.

4. Find Wonderful Awesome Agent/Advocate (trying to think positive here).
Nice goals, elinor! :)

Welcome to W1S1! :welcome:

_Sian_

Ooooh, pretty lights and sirens :D
Registered
Reaction score
Website
antagonistsneeded.wordpress.com
*pokes head in*

Two short stories a month, plus at least two novel sized books a year. I'm about 40K into the first novel, so we'll see how it goes.

*waves at the collected audience*

Izz

Doing the Space Operatic
Staff member
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.justgoodfiction.com
*pokes head in*

Two short stories a month, plus at least two novel sized books a year. I'm about 40K into the first novel, so we'll see how it goes.

*waves at the collected audience*
Very nice! Welcome to W1S1, _Sian_! :hi: :hooray:

We got us a whole lot of additions to the roster heading into 2014 :D

Any lurkers: it's still not too late to join up. In fact, it's never too late to join up!

Project Deadlight

Registered
Reaction score
Okay, so last year my goals were:

• Have found an agent
  • Have sold 10 more stories, at least 1 in DT's most challenging markets and at least one out and out "Pro".
  • Have written a third novel
  • Have written 25 or more stories.
  • Have won some sort of writing competition.
  • Read 50 books on the Goodreads challenge.
It was a bit ambitious but I nearly did it, and only after getting a full ms rejection on my YA novel from dream agent last week did I not fulfil the first criteria. I also have an agent interested in the novel I wrote this year so it still may come to pass.

I won the Fiction Desk's Writer's Award, I read 64 books this year and I sold pro and to one of the DT markets mentioned. Yay!

That said, I didn't write or sell as many shorts as I would have liked. I was one short of selling 10. Also known as 9. I did get married and buy a house so I'm blaming that. :) And also I seem to be selling works a lot sooner after they've been written suggesting I am getting better.

Given how ambitious my goals were, I'm pretty happy with this year. The only frustrating thing is having only written 11 shorts. I didn't realise this until just now and it's quite a shock.

Okay so next year I'll be disappointed if I don't achieve the following:

1 New Novel
Agent representation for novel written this year
Win another writing award/nomination
25 new short stories, at least 5 pro.

_Sian_

Ooooh, pretty lights and sirens :D
Registered
Reaction score
Website
antagonistsneeded.wordpress.com
Very nice! Welcome to W1S1, _Sian_! :hi: :hooray:

We got us a whole lot of additions to the roster heading into 2014 :D

Any lurkers: it's still not too late to join up. In fact, it's never too late to join up!

Out of interest, is there actually a roster? I feel very new to this section of AW.

*Resists slinking back to the SF/F section*

eyeblink

Barbara says hi
Registered
Reaction score
One of my goals in 2013 was to complete six new stories and if I complete the one in my sig in first draft by the time the bells ring on New Year's Eve I will have achieved that. Two came from AW Solstice Swaps, two were originally written for competitions at my local writers' group, one was written for a theme anthology and the last one dropped into my head one morning as I woke up and I wrote the first draft that evening.

The first one of the six, "Mourning Becomes Me", needs a complete redraft as it's underdeveloped and underwritten (even at 9300 words) so that will almost certainly end up as a novella. "Treffpunkt" has sold. "Spinning Fast" has an anthology deadline of 31 December so that will be out of the house come 2014. The other three ("Because", "Cold" and the new Solstice Swap story, title redacted) will need rewrites and final versions done in the new year and will eventually be sent out.

I'm not making a similar resolution next year as I have a novel on sub and want to see how that goes, and another novel to finish. Also, I will be on the British Fantasy Awards jury so will have to see how much the reading for that impacts on my writing time. But I do hope to produce some more shorts in 2014. I'm a published short-fiction writer, with pro sales, and not a published novelist. It may well be that short fiction is where my strengths lie.

Last edited:

Gilead

Registered
Reaction score
I meant to do this last year, but in the end hardly wrote anything at all, so for 2014 I want to get back into writing properly.

I'll therefore be trying to write one short story a week. Not necessarily submitting all of those, though -- I'm so rusty at this point I'm not convinced m(any) of them will be publishable.

I'm hoping that I'll at least generate a decent amount of new stuff and having a goal to work for will help me pick up the habit of writing regularly again.

Izz

Doing the Space Operatic
Staff member
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.justgoodfiction.com
Okay so next year I'll be disappointed if I don't achieve the following:

1 New Novel
Agent representation for novel written this year
Win another writing award/nomination
25 new short stories, at least 5 pro.
Well done on nearly achieving all your goals this year, PD! And i like the look of 2014's goals, too! :)

I'm not making a similar resolution next year as I have a novel on sub and want to see how that goes, and another novel to finish. Also, I will be on the British Fantasy Awards jury so will have to see how much the reading for that impacts on my writing time. But I do hope to produce some more shorts in 2014. I'm a published short-fiction writer, with pro sales, and not a published novelist. It may well be that short fiction is where my strengths lie.
Regardless of how next year goes for you short-fiction-wise, please do continue to hang out with us here in this room. :)

I meant to do this last year, but in the end hardly wrote anything at all, so for 2014 I want to get back into writing properly.

I'll therefore be trying to write one short story a week. Not necessarily submitting all of those, though -- I'm so rusty at this point I'm not convinced m(any) of them will be publishable.

I'm hoping that I'll at least generate a decent amount of new stuff and having a goal to work for will help me pick up the habit of writing regularly again.
Welcome to W1S1, Gilead! :welcome: The goal of writing regularly is a good one, and i'm sure W1S1 will help you achieve it :)

Also, don't be too quick to write your stories off. Let the editors decide whether or not they're publishable :)

Out of interest, is there actually a roster? I feel very new to this section of AW.

*Resists slinking back to the SF/F section*
:D
Back when we first ran with W1S1 here, we did have a roster. However, we've since scrapped the idea, as people are joining all the time, and others, for whatever reasons, stop the challenge or take a sabbatical (i've taken at least two breaks since the challenge has been running).

But perhaps i can help you get your bearings (you plus all the other W1S1 newbies).

Here are some of the long-running threads from this room:

The W1S1 Check-in Lounge and Bar--where we post updates on how we're going, and for general chitchat. From now on, we'll be using this thread as a check-in for both the short fiction and novel aspects of the challenge.

Rejectomancy--where we post rejection news, and sometimes analyze said rejections, and generally commiserate with each other. Strangely, there's comfort in numbers, and the rejections seem to sting a little less when we share them :)

Braggage III--where we share our brags. Mostly this is sales-related, but if you're amped about completing a story, or reaching some other goal, then post away!

The Great W1S1 Hey-Do-You-Know-About-This-Market Thread--heard of a new market, contest, award, etc? This is the place to share the gossip.

Middling It--has a story been sitting at a market for aaaages? Has it made it past slush? Tell us about it here. Anxiety shared is anxiety halved and all that.

There are plenty of other ongoing threads too :)

#

Also, here is the W1S1 blog. While the challenge at AW has diverged a little from their challenge, Milo James Fowler, Simon Kewin, and Stephen V. Ramey are the original peeps to come up with the W1S1 idea. We just ran with it in a forum context. Alex Shvartsman, AW W1S1 regular, is a site admin over there. They have regular weekly and monthly check-ins, as well as mid-week posts which are always interesting and encouraging (editor interviews are sometimes on the menu, for example).

Bring on 2014! Write like you mean it, peeps! :D

Dani79

Registered
Reaction score
Website
daniellengales.com
With some time to think about this, I've got a couple of additional humble goals:

-Make a pro sale. Just one. Come on, that's not asking too much, is it? :)
-Submit something to each WotF quarter. My Q1 sub has already left the nest! Fly, little manuscript, fly.
-Also going to try for 100 rejections too, which is a little more ambitious! I don't have enough stories on hand for this to be realistic right now. Would it be cheating to write the worst story in the history of the world, and send it to every market on Duotrope's fastest markets list? :tongue

And tangentially connected:
A humiliating confession. I think I've only ever read one single Ray Bradbury short story--

*Dodges eggs, rotten fruit, bricks, pianos etc*

--sooooo, I'm going to grab the collections, and read one of his stories every day or two. :flag:

2014, bring it on. :)

Izz

Doing the Space Operatic
Staff member
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.justgoodfiction.com
With some time to think about this, I've got a couple of additional humble goals:

-Make a pro sale. Just one. Come on, that's not asking too much, is it? :)
-Submit something to each WotF quarter. My Q1 sub has already left the nest! Fly, little manuscript, fly.
-Also going to try for 100 rejections too, which is a little more ambitious! I don't have enough stories on hand for this to be realistic right now. Would it be cheating to write the worst story in the history of the world, and send it to every market on Duotrope's fastest markets list? :tongue

And tangentially connected:
A humiliating confession. I think I've only ever read one single Ray Bradbury short story--

*Dodges eggs, rotten fruit, bricks, pianos etc*

--sooooo, I'm going to grab the collections, and read one of his stories every day or two. :flag:

2014, bring it on. :)
Nice, Dani!

I also think you should set a goal of rewarding yourself every 100th rejection. A nice dinner, or a new book, or a whole lot of chocolate, or whatever you like :D

ravenlea

AW Addict
Registered
Reaction score

I like this idea. Turns a negative into a positive. Sort of. I think :Shrug:

Ramshackle

*scribbles*
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.badmenagerie.com
Right, I'm back to get a little more specific than in my earlier post! Goals are as follows:

1) A short story per month (starting with the Sekrit Solstice Swap thingymajig).
2) One novel, polished and ready to query.
3) One novel, first draft.

It's weird, setting these. I'm looking at them and they simultaneously look both over and underwhelming. :Shrug:

Last edited:

Izz

Doing the Space Operatic
Staff member
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.justgoodfiction.com
Right, I'm back to get a little more specific than in my earlier post! Goals are as follows:

1) A short story per month (starting with the Sekrit Solstice Swap thingymajig).
2) One novel, polished and ready to query.
3) One novel, first draft.
Nice!

It's weird, setting these. I'm looking at them and they simultainiously look both over and underwhelming. :Shrug:
Ha! That probably means they're just about right :)

Izz

Doing the Space Operatic
Staff member
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.justgoodfiction.com
Hey, i routinely get know and now mixed up, even if i'm reading the sentence aloud. And don't ask me to spell maneuver without spell check, at any time of the day.

Ramshackle

*scribbles*
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.badmenagerie.com
Hey, i routinely get know and now mixed up, even if i'm reading the sentence aloud. And don't ask me to spell maneuver without spell check, at any time of the day.

Usually I do 'could of' instead of 'could have'. It leaks over from how I speak.

I guess everybody has a couple of 'those' words and phrases. :)