Third C.C. Finlay F&SF sub period open

Layla Lawlor

Registered
Reaction score
Hmmm, I think mine is being held for second-wave review -- it stalled out at 104 and has been there since last night, and he said on Twitter that he's looking at slush again. Nothing like a little suspense! :D

Sage

Supreme Guessinator
Staff member
Registered
Reaction score
Since he said that, nothing's moved. I think he got distracted by a basketball game ;)

Tamlyn

fish skeleton
Registered
Reaction score
It's nice to hear that about the sending more. I've had it on all my submissions, but I actually figured it was the form part of his submission that goes on every rejection.

Sage

Supreme Guessinator
Staff member
Registered
Reaction score
It's moving now (down 8 from earlier). But I didn't want you to get false hope back then. If you haven't moved now, though, you're probably being saved for the next round.

Aggy B.

Not as sweet as you think
Registered
Reaction score
It's nice to hear that about the sending more. I've had it on all my submissions, but I actually figured it was the form part of his submission that goes on every rejection.

Sometimes it is a part of a form (not so much with Finlay as others), but you should always assume it's true. Editors don't ask for more if they don't want to see your stuff in slush.

Layla Lawlor

Registered
Reaction score
It's moving now (down 8 from earlier). But I didn't want you to get false hope back then. If you haven't moved now, though, you're probably being saved for the next round.

Looks like it! Although, with at least a hundred others in the same category, the odds still aren't good. It's flattering just to make it that far, though!

eyeblink

Barbara says hi
Registered
Reaction score
I didn't submit this time, having nothing available to submit, but good luck to all those still in with a shout!

Sage

Supreme Guessinator
Staff member
Registered
Reaction score
Super helpful rejection at number 111 (note, that number dropped from 113 in the past hour).

Capability

Registered
Reaction score
And I knew I dreamed far too large with that "slow rejection" fantasy... not even the faintest of hesitations, and I went out at like 113. I hope the day goes better for everyone still on the list!

OJCade

Registered
Reaction score
Out at four. Oh, so close.

A very nice rejection letter too. He compared it to the story I sent last round (that must be a thousand stories ago! How did he remember?) and said that he generally liked my stuff and wanted to see more. So, encouraging if not what I'd hoped for but still - F&SF has electronic subs now, so I can always send more.

V1c

Hmmmmm
Registered
Reaction score
Ouch! And double ouch. I dropped twenty spots over night (in the fifties now) so feel that anxiety/pain of hope.

Sage

Supreme Guessinator
Staff member
Registered
Reaction score
It's kinda sad to no longer be able to track where the submissions are anymore.

ION, I just found out that CC Finlay is married to my favorite YA author :heart:

Aggy B.

Not as sweet as you think
Registered
Reaction score
For those not watching Twitter: Today he indicated he's about to pass a group of stories over to GVG to send out contracts and checks. He also posted some general info on the number of stories he's likely to buy each year and what the current stats are on number of stories bought out of number of received.

And the queue is on the move again. I dropped to 209 this afternoon (from 234 this morning).

Layla Lawlor

Registered
Reaction score
Aaaand out (at 60). Nice rejection, though! Off to look for another place this story might like to call home ...

V1c

Hmmmmm
Registered
Reaction score
For those not watching Twitter: Today he indicated he's about to pass a group of stories over to GVG to send out contracts and checks. He also posted some general info on the number of stories he's likely to buy each year and what the current stats are on number of stories bought out of number of received.

And the queue is on the move again. I dropped to 209 this afternoon (from 234 this morning).

Eeep!

ACFantasy

Registered
Reaction score
Out at four. Oh, so close.

A very nice rejection letter too. He compared it to the story I sent last round (that must be a thousand stories ago! How did he remember?) and said that he generally liked my stuff and wanted to see more. So, encouraging if not what I'd hoped for but still - F&SF has electronic subs now, so I can always send more.

My submission for the 2nd special guest issue of F&SF got a similar comment--Finlay remarked that I had improved a lot from my submission to the first issue. It was a really good feeling, even if the story was ultimately rejected.

I'm glad that Finlay personalizes so many of the rejections and notes what he likes. It's really nice to know that, even if my story didn't make the grade, there was still something in there than an experienced editor thought was praiseworthy.

Filigree

Mildly Disturbing
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.cranehanabooks.com
Somehow, I've so far made it to #65. I'm thrilled to be in under 100.

Unfortunately, I cannot figure out a single other viable market for this story, so I'll probably re-trunk it until I can get the other books in the loose series either sold or self-published.