• Guest please check The Index before starting a thread.

[Agency] Barer Literary (Julie Barer)

djaffe

Me love books much
Registered
Reaction score
Yea... bit annoying but that's the name of the game!

MadameApeFace

How do you work this crazy thing?
Registered
Reaction score
Does anyone know if Barer is accepting YA submissions? According to my copy of the Guide To Literary Agents, they were "no longer accepting YA" at the time it was published; I always do my due diligence, though, and their web site is rather vague about it -- they only list genres they specifically do not represent, and YA is not in their number.

Anyone know for sure? Anyone know a way to find out for sure? Should I just call them? (Seems pushy, but what do I know? I'm just a writer.)

aadams73

A Work in Progress
Registered
Reaction score
According to Query Tracker, she only represents commercial and literary fiction.

However, in this article she has this to say:

I also love books that play with genre. They can be challenging to sell, but I’m a (not so closet) fantasy and sci fi reader, as well as a huge fan of YA and literary crime/ mystery, so while I may not be submitting much to the genre publishers in those areas, I do find books that play with crossing those lines very interesting.

MadameApeFace

How do you work this crazy thing?
Registered
Reaction score
Hmm...thanks for the info. I'll keep her on the list as a second-stringer, I guess. I wouldn't want to waste her time, but it sounds like she's open to YA projects as long as she finds them particularly compelling.

StellaArgentum

Enjoying the Adventure
Registered
Reaction score
Anyone have recent experience with this agency? I'm going to send a query to the email [email protected] regardless, but some recent response times or interactions would be helpful.

I sent a query on Oct. 17, and haven't heard anything back yet. Not sure if that's a pass or not, but I'm still in the 2-month window, so I haven't given up yet!

pavtbr

Registered
Reaction score
Sent a query to Julie this afternoon for a historical fiction and got the same auto-reply that others did. Will post back if I hear anything more from them.
Bryan

oliverwendell

Registered
Reaction score
Anybody have anything new on this agency? I'm thinking of querying Julie Barer, but would love to hear about others' recent experiences with her.

nadja1972

on submission
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.kerrisandberg.com
Hi fourteenwords, I e-queried Julie in 2013 and got a full request from her assistant/junior agent William Boggess within a week. He responded about ten weeks later with a nice rejection mentioning a few things he and Julie both liked about it, but said that she's taking on very little new work now. I know she will take something on if she really falls in love with it, though, so good luck! She has an amazing list and a great reputation.

CaoPaux

Mostly Harmless
Staff member
Super Moderator
Registered
Reaction score
In '15, joined with Faye Bender, et al. to form The Book Group (thread here).