Newsletters/Mailing Lists

cmhbob

Did...did I do that?
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.bobmuellerwriter.com
I've been horribly deficient in this aspect of promotion, and I'm working on fixing that finally.

My only option for setting up a list at my domain is using Mailman 2.1, which I'm fine with, especially because it's at my domain. But I'm open to suggestions for other 3d-party mailing list/newsletter managers.

In the meantime, I'm curious as to how some of you use your newsletters. I'm only expecting to send a message out once or maybe twice a month, if that often. I don't want to overload subscribers.

I'd also be interested to read the welcome messages you send out to new subscribers, if you don't mind sharing them.

Old Hack

Such a nasty woman
Super Moderator
Absolute Sage
Registered
Reaction score
Once a month is plenty. Once a quarter is good. Twice a month would probably make me delete my subscription.

Remember you can't add people to your mailing list without their permission: they have to specifically opt in; and you have to give them information on how to unsubscribe.

girlyswot

Registered
Reaction score
Website
myromancereviews.wordpress.com
I use Madmimi and have been very happy with their free service. Mailchimp is the go-to standard.

I send newsletters out only to announce new releases, so that people know they won't get spammed with information they aren't interested in.

AW Admin

Administrator
Registered
Reaction score
Mailman is very stable but very old school (it was originally designed for listserves).

Be sure that you've got it se so that it's one-to-many
Always include the correct opt-out header metadata and a footer with a link or clear instructions about how to unsubscribe and subscribe.

Check with your host about any requirements they have or suggestions about how not to be perceived as spamming. Some domains/hosts (Comcast for one) will assume spam if it looks even a little bit like it might be, so be very very careful about the opt in.

Kasubi

Nishimiye kuba menya.
Registered
Reaction score
MailChimp - awesome bit of free kit :)

I've just (on the urging of my publisher) set up a bi-monthly newsletter. Writing books takes a long time. I can usually gather enough news in two months ;)

As well as a subscription list (it's hard to get people to subscribe), I upload each issue to GoogleDrive and share the link via social media. That way people can read it without being subscribed, and hopefully like it enough to go on to subscribe.

Last edited: