JanNoWriMo 2015!

Sam Argent

Rygel XVI
Registered
Reaction score
My cold has frazzled my head, so I put off submitting stories until I'm sure I won't jack up my submission. So far I remember writing 10k for Witches for Hire(I finished that this morning), and I added 13k to a new story called The Strongest Sword. New focus is just gonna be to keep writing, so I don't get behind.

mrsmig

Write. Write. Writey Write Write.
Staff member
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Pecked at the novel a bit yesterday; knocked out a bit more of the short story. I might have done more but I was desperate to get out of the house for a walk, even though it was cold. I took my camera to a local botanical garden and nature preserve and did some birding. In the process, I was able to add a new bird to my Life List - a Hermit Thrush - and got some nice photos of it into the bargain. So I look on it as feeding my soul. :)

Finish first draft of WIP: 108,389 out of ?????
Write short story for Secret Solstice Swap: 2,865 words out of ????
Read two books: .5 out of 3
Write one blog post: 0 out of 1

chompers

Registered
Reaction score
I am just fighting this novel the whole way through. The plot is solid. But the words just aren't coming to me. Everything's so forced. It's BAD. This is gonna require EXTENSIVE editing. But other than that I'm making steady progress, even if it's small and terrible.

mrsmig

Staff member
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Had another strong forward surge on the novel today - got through a problematic scene with my secondary MC and am finally ready to move back to my MC. I'll be glad when I finally get the two of them on the same page (literally). First, however, I've got to get through the reintroduction of a character from the previous book, a sea voyage, a betrayal, a reprisal and a sex scene. I fear this first draft is going to hit somewhere around 150,000 words.

Oh, and my husband and I saw Interstellar tonight. I was having a hard enough time following the plot without the distraction of the teen couple next to me, who cuddled and sucked face and murmured sweet nothings to each other through the entire 3-hour film. I wanted to swat them and shout "GET A ROOM" but I figured the $25 for the movie tickets was all they could afford.

Finish first draft of WIP: 109,131 out of ?????

chompers

Registered
Reaction score
And I have officially run out of ideas for scenes for this story. Not good...

ETA: I just counted. I have 31 scenes so far. My word count is ridiculously low for having that many scenes. I should have at least 20k worth of words here, yet I've only got about 5,500. Come on, brain, work with me!

Last edited:

mrsmig

Staff member
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Wrote my usual 500 words today; wished it was more but I kept getting interrupted/sidetracked.

Finish first draft of WIP: 109,661 out of ?????

chompers

Registered
Reaction score
I haven't added much to my word count since the last update, but I spent that time thinking a bit about more scenes. The past few days the words haven't been coming to me, so I thought I'd spend that time mulling over the story. I've come up with about 20 more scenes and now just need to flesh them out. The words feel like they're coming back to me, so hopefully that's true and I can plump up the overall word count, because right now it is shamefully low for the number of scenes I have already.

I've also added a little to WIP #1, even though it's on hold right now. It's probably going to get shelved, but I'm just going to keep adding to it little by little when ideas come to me for it until I know more about what's going to happen to it.

Last edited:

CoffeeBeans

Registered
Reaction score
There's a lot of snow here. That ended up amounting to a bonus day off. Downside, I had wanted to call in "sick" later in the week. Oh well, my tiny car probably couldn't have made it out in this anyway.

I stopped down on revision to go on with crits. I'm about a third of the way through current beta. Honestly, I would get a lot more done if I didn't comment five times a page...

meowzbark

Registered
Reaction score
380 words written today. I wasn't feeling inspired, but I did make my MC eat an undercooked snake.

mrsmig

Staff member
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
I'm sorry, Cliff Face. Hope things improve.

I only wrote about 100 words yesterday, but I excuse myself because I had to make a decision about which characters were going on a side journey. I finally decided fewer was better and it's only going to be the MC and one other, which means I have to delay the Big Reveal about another character until later. It's okay; it'll keep.

My husband is about to go out of town and I confess I'm a little eager for him to go so I can get some substantive writing done before I head out on my own road trip. I'm heading south to visit my elderly mother for her birthday as well as take her to visit her sister who lives about four hours further down the road. Writing while I'm away will still be possible, but I'll have to grab the moments when I can. Somehow, I seem produce more when I know the minutes are precious.

Finish first draft of WIP: 109,764 out of ?????

Last edited:

mrsmig

Staff member
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
I got a late start, but in spite of it I got a fair amount done and am going to make myself stop now, at a place where I'm excited to move on. That'll give me the impetus to get going tomorrow.

Finish first draft of WIP: 110,499 out of ?????

measure_in_love

escaping the evil queen's curse
Registered
Reaction score
haven't been on here in a while! thought it would be a good idea to start this up again :)

looks like everyone is plugging along! I've stopped for MONTHS with writing it just wasn't working with me. So I'm starting up again. With more revision I'm back down to 14,000 (I was almost at 20k ugh) words but I bumped it up to 15,587 words. Most I've written in a really long time.

Last edited:

mrsmig

Staff member
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Well, so much for the impetus to move on. A crummy night's sleep, the husband getting away late for his trip and errands to run for my own journey made yesterday a bust for writing. I still have a few things left to do (like pack) but I'm hoping both time and inspiration will hit at some point today, since I doubt I'll be getting much done for the next week.

auzerais

I like puppies.
Registered
Reaction score
Month's end progress update....

Read 5 books.
Write out a timeline for the first part of my novel.
Write ten journal entries for the month.
Add 5000 new words to my novel.

I read five books, plus half of Game of Thrones, which is so damned long it ought to count as three books.

I wrote out the timeline, which was not as exhaustive as I expected it to be, but I think that's probably okay.

I wrote far more than ten journal entries, and am too lazy to count how many I actually did, but this month I was an exhaustive diarist.

I have at this point only written 2500 words. I like to think I would have done better, but my grandmother died on the 10th, and between traveling for the funeral, managing my family (this is a full time job) and trying to slog through my own grief, I was just too wasted emotionally to write. I feel badly about it. I know there are two more days in January, but I'm not really sure that I can make it through the other 2500 or so words. Next month I'm going to focus less on adding words and more on editing what I have so that the words I do add are more effective. Blah.

chompers

Registered
Reaction score
Haven't done much writing in the past few days. Wanted to write, but my brain was too fuzzy, so I didn't even bother. But this weekend some fellow writers and I are doing a weekend of writing thing and hopefully I will get a big chunk done.

Chasing the Horizon

Blowing in the Wind
Registered
Reaction score
Haven't updated for a while, but I've mostly been slogging through editing on the second novel I finished back in November.

I'm contemplating trying to do a 15k day tomorrow, though. It would meet my word count goal for the month, but more importantly I'd like to prove to myself that I can pull down word counts like that whenever I want to, without the combination of pressure and support NaNo gives me. I have a great new WIP that's prepped and ready to write.

chompers

Registered
Reaction score
Haven't updated for a while, but I've mostly been slogging through editing on the second novel I finished back in November.

I'm contemplating trying to do a 15k day tomorrow, though. It would meet my word count goal for the month, but more importantly I'd like to prove to myself that I can pull down word counts like that whenever I want to, without the combination of pressure and support NaNo gives me. I have a great new WIP that's prepped and ready to write.
Do it! I'm also trying for a large word count this weekend. Shall we hunker down together? Post updates regularly!

Chasing the Horizon

Blowing in the Wind
Registered
Reaction score
Do it! I'm also trying for a large word count this weekend. Shall we hunker down together? Post updates regularly!
That's a great idea. It's always better to have some company when I'm shut in my writing cave. :D I'll make sure to post regular updates.

mrsmig

Staff member
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
It took me a while to get started, but I wrote over a thousand words today - so I'm pretty pleased. Tomorrow I set off on my trip so I won't be doing any writing until I stop for the night - and since I hope to be away by 10:30 a.m. at the latest, I should be snug in my hotel room by 7 PM, which will still leave me time to write before bed.

Finish first draft of WIP: 111,657 out of ?????