Looking for a word that means "to damage from inside"

starrykitten

practical experience, FTW
Registered
Reaction score
Is there a word with this specific meaning? To inflict damage from the inside of an object?

Imbroglio

PERPETUAL EXISTENTIAL CRISIS VICTIM
Registered
Reaction score
How exactly is the damage occurring? I have a feeling something like "infect" might be close to accurate, but nothing else comes to mind.

Bufty

Where have the last ten years gone?
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Implode is the opposite of explode. It's what happens to, say, a submarine crushed and collapsing in on itself under high pressure at the bottom of the ocean.

Not sure exactly what the OP's scenario is but if there is a specific word for 'to damage from the inside' (of something living, I presume) will it mean anything to readers.

A simple explanation including the right descriptive words is far clearer.

Last edited:

robjvargas

Rob J. Vargas
Banned
Reaction score
Yeah, inside of what? Sabotage would work, depending on the exact circumstances.

Undermine?

Ravage has a broad enough meaning that it could work.

Looking up synonyms for sabotage gave me lots of ideas.

Bufty

Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score

Bufty

Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
The OP has only once returned to the last ten threads created.

starrykitten

Registered
Reaction score
The OP has only once returned to the last ten threads created.

You do not know what my situation is right now, and I feel the implications of this comment are unfair.

I appreciate everyone's help with this. To clarify, I was referring to damaging a body (not in a viral way, more in a blunt force way). And this is for a poem, so I can't really include a longer explanation.

boron

Health writer
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.healthhype.com
Tear (an organ or muscle or tendon)

A common medical expression for a damage that comes with age is "wear and tear."

Injury - if the blunt trauma is from the external source and damage is either external or internal.

Last edited:

Bufty

Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Welcome. I'm not sure how blunt force can be applied both to and from inside a body unless something or someone is inside the body and able to apply the force.

If it's a poem one is obviously much freer to use metaphor and hint at meanings perhaps not normally associated with particular words but I'm still not sure how such a word can be found from what little detail you've given.

Good luck.

You do not know what my situation is right now, and I feel the implications of this comment are unfair.

I appreciate everyone's help with this. To clarify, I was referring to damaging a body (not in a viral way, more in a blunt force way). And this is for a poem, so I can't really include a longer explanation.

Last edited:

robjvargas

Rob J. Vargas
Banned
Reaction score

To me, "ravage" seems a poetic word for violence.

Bufty

Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Is the 'thing' doing the 'eating away at' or 'doing damage from the inside' a physical thing or an imagined thing - thoughts perhaps, memories or feelings.

nibbled? chipped? niggled? pecked? -

The list is endless until you give us something a little more concrete to work with.

Last edited:

starrykitten

Registered
Reaction score
Thank you all for your suggestions, and my apologies for not being more specific. The sentence I was puzzling over contained graphic violence in a highly personal context, and I am still working up the courage to share the writing. I should have included that from the start, that my reluctance to give details was about my own sitting-on-the-fence about this piece, despite that I have shared very personal things in the past through published writing. You all did very well, especially considering how little you had to go on, and I thank you for that.