Registered
Reaction score

Old Hack

Such a nasty woman
Super Moderator
Absolute Sage
Registered
Reaction score
They're helpful, but they won't do everything for you. All they'll do is give you a list of names: you then have to find out if they're a good match for you and your book, and if they have a history of making good sales and helping establish the authors they represent or publish.

There's a lot to be said by visiting a bookshop and doing your research there, on the shelves.

Dennis E. Taylor

Get it off! It burns!
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
They're helpful, but they won't do everything for you. All they'll do is give you a list of names: you then have to find out if they're a good match for you and your book, and if they have a history of making good sales and helping establish the authors they represent or publish.

There's a lot to be said by visiting a bookshop and doing your research there, on the shelves.

Yeah, finding out the agent of record for some well-known books is probably a good start. I'll have to see if any of these sites maintain any kind of useful references for that.

The important thing though, is that you didn't say "Run. Run!" to any of them. :)

nkkingston

Bemused Girl
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.solelyfictional.org
Be aware most of those sites don't distinguish between legitimate and non-legitimate agents/publishers. It's easy to get listed.

Dennis E. Taylor

Get it off! It burns!
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Be aware most of those sites don't distinguish between legitimate and non-legitimate agents/publishers. It's easy to get listed.

Yah, I guess the first thing is to make a list. Then go through all "bewares" on this site and maybe the querytracker site, cross some off. Then do a quick troll of the intertubez, cross a few more off. Check what successful clients they have, maybe cross a few more off.

Any other obvious sources?

Deleted member 42

First look at recently published books in the same general area as your book.

Look at who published them, who wrote them, and who agented them.

Then start looking at Websites, and Bewares.

Look for an agent who has sold books you can find locally in your bookstores and libraries.

Look for an agent who online talks about their authors' books more than they talk about their authors.

See the Publishing FAQ: [Business of Writing] On Agents

BenPanced

THE BLUEBERRY QUEEN OF HADES (he/him)
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
You're better off relying on information found online than you are the Writer's Digest guides. Since they're only released yearly, the info in the guides are pretty much out of date/inaccurate/wrong the time they hit the shelves. Plus, they really don't take much time to vet their sources; anybody who fills out a form is pretty much guaranteed an in.

Ken

Banned
Kind Benefactor
Reaction score
Plus, they really don't take much time to vet their sources; anybody who fills out a form is pretty much guaranteed an in.

Wasn't aware of that. Figured the listings were checked out before inclusion to make sure they were OK. Thnx for the info. Alters my perspective some.

Dennis E. Taylor

Get it off! It burns!
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Going off on a tangent for a second -- I'm going through my list, vetting the various agents. One of them has a website called www.awfulagent.com . I almost did a spit-take. I have to admit that kind of humor works well with me.

Old Hack

Such a nasty woman
Super Moderator
Absolute Sage
Registered
Reaction score
Wasn't aware of that. Figured the listings were checked out before inclusion to make sure they were OK. Thnx for the info. Alters my perspective some.

Years ago, back before it was all done online, I filled in the forms that several of these directories send out for the publishers I worked at (I did it a few years running).

Everything I put into those forms was included in the directories, exactly as I'd written it. They even included a typo I'd missed.

Most of the directories don't check the entries they get at all. They just get as many entries as they can, to make their directories the most extensive. Use them, but with caution.

Ken

Banned
Kind Benefactor
Reaction score
Years ago, back before it was all done online, I filled in the forms that several of these directories send out for the publishers I worked at (I did it a few years running).

Everything I put into those forms was included in the directories, exactly as I'd written it. They even included a typo I'd missed.

Most of the directories don't check the entries they get at all. They just get as many entries as they can, to make their directories the most extensive. Use them, but with caution.

Wow. I honestly would expect more from a directory than this. They aren't cheap either. Each year the price goes up. Thanks for the info. I was considering buying a new edition of the listings. Now I'll just settle on a copy from the library, even if it's a year or two out of date. And I definitely will research any that seem promising.

Treehouseman

Registered
Reaction score
I want to second Query Tracker as an excellent site.