The W1S1 Check-in and Chill Lounge and Bar

gettingby

Registered
Reaction score
Has anyone tried W1S1 daily? Maybe for just a week or month or something. Not sure if I could pull it off, but I was just curious. I seem to be writing my stories quicker so I can get this thing over for the week. Maybe I need more of a challenge.

defcon6000

Banned
Reaction score
Okay, got my auto email from SH. *Phew* Took it 5 hours, tho.

Has anyone tried W1S1 daily? Maybe for just a week or month or something. Not sure if I could pull it off, but I was just curious. I seem to be writing my stories quicker so I can get this thing over for the week. Maybe I need more of a challenge.
God, that would be crazy. I can pound out a story in a day, only a few thousand words, but then I want to revise or read afterwards.

Aggy B.

Not as sweet as you think
Registered
Reaction score
Can't say I've done a deliberate daily challenge. I have been known to pound out four different responses to the SF/F prompts (which alas have been abandoned due to lack of participation) in under a week.

Is anyone else a little disappointed that the new Lightspeed submission system no longer lists which number in the queue your story is at?

mhaynes

practical experience, FTW
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.michaelhaynes.info

There's something called "Story a Day" which does just what you're describing in May. Sort of a NaNoWriMo-ish event, though I suspect there's a significantly smaller number of participants.

I've considered trying to do that either this year or in some future year, though if I did so my approach would probably be to do a lot of story brainstorming in April and write the stories in May. And I would expect some portion of them to be micro-fiction/Twitter length.

Last edited:

gettingby

Registered
Reaction score
Thanks, mhaynes. Now that is a challenge I will sign up for. You should sign up, too. May is going to be one crazy month. I don't seem able to write flash. I have tried, but everything ends up being at least 2K.

Aggy B.

Registered
Reaction score
I tend to be behind the curve on the short fiction markets, but I noticed yesterday that Escape Pod has changed their pay rate. Now they pay $0.05/word for unpublished fiction, $0.03/word for reprints - minimum of $100 per short story. This does not seem to be an across the board change to the other Escape Artists pubs (PodCastle and PseudoPod).

defcon6000

Banned
Reaction score
I tend to be behind the curve on the short fiction markets, but I noticed yesterday that Escape Pod has changed their pay rate. Now they pay $0.05/word for unpublished fiction, $0.03/word for reprints - minimum of $100 per short story. This does not seem to be an across the board change to the other Escape Artists pubs (PodCastle and PseudoPod).
Just saw that, too. Maybe they're not getting enough SF (they wouldn't be the only one), and as the laws of supply and demand go...

gettingby

Registered
Reaction score
My story for the week sucks. All day I have been trying to fix it, but it is not working. I am trying to decide if I send it out anyway or try and write another one this weekend. I wish I had not spent so much time working on it.

Aggy B.

Registered
Reaction score
My story for the week sucks. All day I have been trying to fix it, but it is not working. I am trying to decide if I send it out anyway or try and write another one this weekend. I wish I had not spent so much time working on it.

I think everyone has that happen now and again. I usually find a little distance from the story is the only way to gain perspective on it (whether the first assessment of "This sucks" is accurate or not).

Maybe try some Twitter fic while you let the first one rest for a few days?

gettingby

Registered
Reaction score
Thanks, Aggy. I think you're right that I need a little distance. The story has a pretty strong opening but goes downhill fast. Maybe next week I will know what to do with it.

As for twitter fic, just my opinion, but I don't really count that. I hope I don't get yelled at here for saying that. My goal in doing W1S1 is to make it into some of the top literary journals so I am only trying to write things that could have a chance of being published in one of those. I don't just want to get published. I want to feel like I made it. I am trying to see if I have what it takes. Twitter fic, for me, would just be a distraction.

Aggy B.

Registered
Reaction score
Thanks, Aggy. I think you're right that I need a little distance. The story has a pretty strong opening but goes downhill fast. Maybe next week I will know what to do with it.

As for twitter fic, just my opinion, but I don't really count that. I hope I don't get yelled at here for saying that. My goal in doing W1S1 is to make it into some of the top literary journals so I am only trying to write things that could have a chance of being published in one of those. I don't just want to get published. I want to feel like I made it. I am trying to see if I have what it takes. Twitter fic, for me, would just be a distraction.

I get that. Sort of. But a story is a story. And Nanoism pays $1.50 per (unpublished) story. Works out to more than a penny per letter. Seems to me like that's pro-rates. (Though it doesn't qualify for most guilds due to minimum payment requirements.)

I find that Twitter fic is hella harder than it looks. And it taught me a thing or two about clarity and not using frivolous words.

I've also found that when I start limiting what I allow myself to write (putting all those rules in place about what makes a good real story) I wind up with a lot more turds than gold.

Of course, your mileage may vary. :)

O'Dandelo

Registered
Reaction score
I get that. Sort of. But a story is a story. And Nanoism pays $1.50 per (unpublished) story. Works out to more than a penny per letter. Seems to me like that's pro-rates. (Though it doesn't qualify for most guilds due to minimum payment requirements.)

I find that Twitter fic is hella harder than it looks. And it taught me a thing or two about clarity and not using frivolous words.

I've also found that when I start limiting what I allow myself to write (putting all those rules in place about what makes a good real story) I wind up with a lot more turds than gold.

Of course, your mileage may vary. :)

Well said. I've not tried anything under 900 words myself, but writing flash has done the same for me.

gettingby

Registered
Reaction score
Twitter and flash are just in a different category that's all. Not my cup of tea.

Lillie

Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Yay!!!

That's great :)

Congratulations.

That picture makes me want to read the story that goes with it!

Izz

Doing the Space Operatic
Staff member
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.justgoodfiction.com

There isn't actually a story to go with the cover, this time. But... if you want to write one and send it in before we close for subs... :D

Lillie

Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
:D

Jewel thief with rocket boots...

Hmmm.
You never know, I might come up with something brilliant in the next day or so, but I wouldn't hold your breath...

defcon6000

Banned
Reaction score

There isn't actually a story to go with the cover, this time. But... if you want to write one and send it in before we close for subs... :D
lol, I'll take that as a challenge. ;)

Nice cover, btw. Sounds like it's going to be a fun issue.

Izz

Doing the Space Operatic
Staff member
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.justgoodfiction.com

I hope it'll be a fun issue, too. Haven't actually bought any stories yet, but should be doing so soon.

And get that story written and sent in! You and anybody else who gets an idea from the cover :)

Izz

Doing the Space Operatic
Staff member
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.justgoodfiction.com
18th of this month :) --though if you write a story specially based on the cover, i'll keep the sub side door open until 31st March :)

SmallThing

Eek!
Registered
Reaction score
Website
cosmicdriftwood.wordpress.com

I hope it'll be a fun issue, too. Haven't actually bought any stories yet, but should be doing so soon.

And get that story written and sent in! You and anybody else who gets an idea from the cover :)

From such humble beginnings came the great 2012 flood of rocket-booted jewel thief submissions...