The W1S1 Check-in and Chill Lounge and Bar

Batspan

My Religion is kindness -Dalai Lama
Registered
Reaction score
Website
bathughes.wordpress.com
Thanks, Izz.
Melinda, good goals. Congrats on finishing the novella!

I'm back up to eight stories out at pro markets. Working my way back up to 10.

Need to finish my favorite new story. Then I'll finish the novella.

Melinda Moore

Registered
Reaction score
Thanks Batspan. Good luck finishing your stories. I like the novella form...seems like it should be popular with the shorter attention spans :)

Batspan

Registered
Reaction score
Website
bathughes.wordpress.com
Melinda, thanks. I ran across some encouraging articles about the novella as I was exploring the form. It seems to be in resurgence, and highly marketable.

Izz

Doing the Space Operatic
Staff member
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.justgoodfiction.com
Sent out 4 subs today--3 for unsold stories, 1 for a reprint. Feels good!

I love sending out new subs. I get a tingly feeling along my shoulders. Oh, what possibilities and potentials! :D

Batspan, i think my work may be heading towards novella length more often now. I'm certainly having trouble telling a story in anything less than 5000 words.

V1c

Hmmmmm
Registered
Reaction score
I've been sending out more work but still not writing as consistently as I'd like. First, work was a bear and that was solved by me no longer working (at the doctor's orders, mind you). now have a new job offer but it's in a new country. Gawd, I wish I kept to a schedule more and life didn't get in the way of my writing. I only sent out one story for october, but still have one out from december!

Izz

Doing the Space Operatic
Staff member
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.justgoodfiction.com
I've been sending out more work but still not writing as consistently as I'd like. First, work was a bear and that was solved by me no longer working (at the doctor's orders, mind you). now have a new job offer but it's in a new country. Gawd, I wish I kept to a schedule more and life didn't get in the way of my writing. I only sent out one story for october, but still have one out from december!
Wow, sounds hectic all right! :) Moving countries always takes a lot of time, too, if you decide to go that route.

Good on you for still being able to write and send stuff out, even if it's not as consistent as you'd like. :e2cheer:

Batspan

Registered
Reaction score
Website
bathughes.wordpress.com
Izz-- Yay! Keeping subs out has become a priority. If the number I have out dips I make time to get more in circulation. I'm finding eight is my minimum to maintain a feeling of progress, provided some of them are at fast--responders.

I know what you mean about the longer lengths. I was glad to learn that novellas are doing so well. I tend toward longer, more involved stories, and my novella allowed me to go wild yet without the time investment of a novel.

V1c -- Congrats for getting a story out. Your situation sounds challenging. I'm self-employed and generally resist schedules, yet I've found I need to do it to manage multiple projects. With specific goals and set times to work at them, I make progress and keep it all on track. Life interferes and I get back to my program. It took me years to work this out.

kd1984

Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.oneperfectword.blogspot.com
You guys! I've missed you!

But... I HAD A BABY!!

So, I'm learning to type with one hand while I nurse. :)

So I just sent out an essay yesterday and have two stories that need editing and another round of beta reads.

I hope all of my old friends are here. :)

Eliza C

We’ll see what happens from here…
Registered
Reaction score

But... I HAD A BABY!!

So I just sent out an essay yesterday and have two stories that need editing and another round of beta reads.

Welcome back, and congratulations!

Melinda Moore

Registered
Reaction score

But... I HAD A BABY!!

Good for you! I wasn't good for anything but reading after each of my kids :D

J.W. Alden

The King Who Bore the Sword
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.twitter.com

But... I HAD A BABY!!

Welcome back! And congrats!

alexshvartsman

Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score

But... I HAD A BABY!!

Welcome back, and congratulations!!!

LolaVelo

Registered
Reaction score
Congratulations, KD - that is WONDERFUL news!! You are super impressive to be writing and nursing - it ain't easy!

Melinda Moore

Registered
Reaction score
I got my ten submissions in for the month. My month runs from the 20th to the 20th so it would be nice to get one more in :)

V1c

Hmmmmm
Registered
Reaction score
Well, in case moving (or trying too) wasn't enough, I forgot I agreed to teach a class this semester. Oops! (whether I move overseas or not, I'm not staying in this crap town through the New year unless something happens). Add that to my list of things to do that isn't my own writing.

Congrats Melinda! that is an awesome number of subs. May many come to good things/ends!

Last edited:

Izz

Doing the Space Operatic
Staff member
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.justgoodfiction.com
Well done, Melinda!

And a :Hug2: or 3 for V1c

Last edited:

Izz

Doing the Space Operatic
Staff member
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.justgoodfiction.com
Got a sub out the door this avo after giving it a light edit (procrastinating my current novel in progress, but a sub's a sub, right? :D).

Batspan

Registered
Reaction score
Website
bathughes.wordpress.com
KD, Congrats.
Melinda -- Good job.
Izz -- I call that productive procrastination. It counts.

I'm back up to seven stories out with pro editors and working to finish the newest one this week. I wanted to get through a revision of the novella before the end of the month. Other areas of my life now FUBAR make that unlikely. At this point, my plan is to maintain resubmissions as needed.

Izz

Doing the Space Operatic
Staff member
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.justgoodfiction.com
I'm back up to seven stories out with pro editors and working to finish the newest one this week.
w00t!
I wanted to get through a revision of the novella before the end of the month. Other areas of my life now FUBAR make that unlikely.
Sorry to hear that. Hopefully things will settle down soon. Meanwhile, yay for having 7 subs out! :)

Melinda Moore

Registered
Reaction score
Looks like everyone is working hard in life and writing. I did not complete a story this week, but I got a good start on one. I hope everyone has a smooth week.