Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score

Sage

Supreme Guessinator
Staff member
Registered
Reaction score
I'd love to read it, but it's broken my internet twice.

Dennis E. Taylor

Get it off! It burns!
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
I just this morning bought and read Punctuation by G. Miki Hayden. It's pretty short, but it covered all my basic questions about all kinds of punctuation, not just commas. With useful examples. Well worth the $3, IMO.

Dallionz

Registered
Reaction score
Fantastic article, thank you!

I have been told by some people that I use too many commas. Then, the person who edited my last piece, used even more commas than I did. So I was feeling a bit uncertain again. This did help clear some of that up.

Chase

It Takes All of Us to End Racism
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
I have been told by some people that I use too many commas. Then, the person who edited my last piece, used even more commas than I did. So I was feeling a bit uncertain again. This did help clear some of that up.

For U.S. publications, some commas are optional, such as the Oxford comma, the comma following short introductory elements (as the one after "Then" above), and the comma before a trailing subordinate clause in a complex sentence. Their use isn't "too many" if consistent with the writer's or the publisher's desired style.

Too many commas are superfluous commas (as the one after "piece" above), usually placed on impulse or a misguided idea of "sound" rather than the structural need for reading.

Otherwise, "too many" or "more commas than I" really isn't a reasonable or workable measure for comma use.