How many baskets should you put your eggs in?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Pisco Sour

Registered
Reaction score
Recently I did a chat for a local romance writer's group which ended up being attended by more people than I'd envisaged. It was fun, and I was able to answer lots of questions which were e-mailed to me in advance. However, on the night several people wanted to know whether it's better to publish with only one or two publishers, or to spread those 'eggs' into as many baskets as possible. This, because I mentioned that e-publishers spring up all the time and many, sadly, do not make it past a year or two. Or they self-combust leaving writers in a very bad place (e.g.Noble Romance). I wasn't able to answer this eggs and baskets question very well, being newly published (two different pubs but it's early days). In March I'm doing another, bigger talk about e-publishing in general and this question might arise again. I'd greatly appreciate any perspective about pros and cons of sticking with one/two houses or spreading books to five/six...more? Seems like it would be awfully complicated, what with different author loops, expectations to write more for each house to build the brand, etc. But maybe I'm wrong?
Thanks for the help!

Last edited:

Osulagh

Independent fluffy puppy.
Registered
Reaction score
I don't know many positives to having multiple publishers within the same genre, so I'd like to hear those.

As for the same publisher, you get to work with the same editor(s), build a brand with the publisher, be comfortable with their contracts and dealings, and your success with them can be a good initiative for them to keep you from going elsewhere.

Pisco Sour

Registered
Reaction score
Yeah, I lean toward that feeling myself, but I want to give a rounded view. Also, I've seen a few author names I recognise published with, for example: Carina, Samhain, Loose Id AND Liquid Silver, plus one (I think) is also published with Siren. Makes me wonder if people shop books around that way bc their main' publisher didn't accept the new ms, or it was a genre change...or something. Happened to me (main pub didn't want my science fiction romance), so I sold my book elsewhere--and I guess I'd do the same if my next novel gets rejected. Maybe certain publishers are better at selling certain types of book and that's why people spread the love? If I wrote menage under a different pen name, for example, I'd submit to Siren bc they have an excellent record (apparently) with that genre. But I'm not sure what to tell people about spreading themselves around different publishers. I get the feeeling nothing is 'safe' in publishing, with even houses like EC steeped in problems and e-imprints of Big Five not doing so well. So maybe there's a good argument for writing for five or six publishers?

Last edited:

Becky Black

Writing my way off the B Ark
Registered
Reaction score
Website
beckyblack.wordpress.com
I've got stories with three different ones. I'd think once you get up to five or six it's going to be a bit of a pain just with the admin!

While there is a little bit of not putting all the eggs in one basket and just waiting to see what it was like to work with different publishers, for me the main reason has been due to writing some things that don't fit what my main novel publisher requires - maybe too short, not erotic, and one that's due out in a few months that's not a romance because of no HEA. With that one the number of markets for it was limited, so I had to be open minded about where I would send it.

Pisco Sour

Registered
Reaction score
I've got stories with three different ones. I'd think once you get up to five or six it's going to be a bit of a pain just with the admin!

While there is a little bit of not putting all the eggs in one basket and just waiting to see what it was like to work with different publishers, for me the main reason has been due to writing some things that don't fit what my main novel publisher requires - maybe too short, not erotic, and one that's due out in a few months that's not a romance because of no HEA. With that one the number of markets for it was limited, so I had to be open minded about where I would send it.

That makes sense and I would--and am--doing the same. My pub doesn't take word counts under 35K so I'll find another one when I'm ready to publish a novella I wrote recently. (I'm on a submission break at the mo') But I wonder if deliberately placing books with similar houses is something I should warn people away from for a good reason, or just comment that yes, do what you want, but be aware of the admin/time-management/expectations.

Filigree

Mildly Disturbing
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.cranehanabooks.com
Five or six might drive me crazy from the paperwork.

I'm aiming for three. My debut is in erotic romance, and I have several more mms I've slated for that publisher (because two years in, I still love and trust them.) The recent meltdowns make me cautious about having all my romance books with one company, so I am hoping to sell an unrelated standalone to one of three other reputable romance e-publishers.

But I also want to get a more mainstream fantasy career going, so my agent and I are looking at several of the Big Five SFF imprints.

Cathy C

Ooo! Shiny new cover!
Kind Benefactor
Absolute Sage
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.cathyclamp.com
This is something I asked myself years ago and spent a good deal of time discussing with my agent. It's really a tough decision because what can easily happen, even if you're a fast writer, is that you'll wind up with deadlines from multiple sources that all have the same needs and priority. When you work with Big 5 pubs, you have three full editing passes: the style edit, the copyedit and the galley proofs. Plus, you're also writing the next book under contract. Some of the writers I know who have multiple pubs burn a lot of candles at both ends and the middle to keep all the editors happy.

Too, there's a question about promotion. When you're with a single publisher at a Big 5, you'll get more attention (meaning dollars spent on you) than if you're writing for multiple publishers . . . unless the book is a potential runaway hit. So do you want to be a big fish in a small pond, or a small fish in a big one? A small fish has the chance to grow to the size of the pond, of course, so it really is a coin toss. :Shrug:

I decided for big fish/small pond and have been very happy with one publisher. So far, at least... :)

GinJones

Registered
Reaction score
This is a slightly different topic, but you might find John Scalzi's thoughts on writers having multiple revenue streams interesting: http://whatever.scalzi.com/2011/04/06/revenue-streams-2010/

If you do a search on "multiple revenue" at his site, you'll come up with a more recent post on the topic too. Oftentimes there are insightful comments as well, so do check them out.

KimJo

Outside the box, with the werewolves
Registered
Reaction score
Website
karennacolcroft.com
Personally, and partly because of the number of publishers who vanish, I think it's best to have more than one publisher. Especially if you write a variety of genres or pairings. Right now, I'm only with 2 romance publishers, one of which only does male/male, and only 1 YA publisher which only does GLBTQ fiction... and that isn't a comfortable place for me, based on past experience. It also is a problem because I don't *only* write M/M or GLBTQ young adult. One of my goals for this year is to contract with at least 1 more publisher for each.

thothguard51

A Gentleman of a refined age...
Registered
Reaction score

My opinion, not more than you can successfully carry at any one time...

Think on it...

Captcha

Banned
Reaction score
I have, will have or have had books with... DSP, EC, Loose Id, Liquid Silver, Carina, Samhain, and Riptide. And under a different pseudonym, Berkley and Entangled.

For me, it's been good. I've got only one book with several of them - tried 'em, didn't like 'em, didn't submit anything else. This has made me more confident in the publishers I DO like (DSP and Samhain, so far - no verdict yet on Riptide, Berkley, or Entangled). I feel like I'm better educated about the market b/c I have first hand experience a variety of places.

Downsides? I've stopped even subscribing to most of their author loops. Just too much to keep up with. And I probably don't take full advantage of all the promo ops at all the different houses. Or, really, take any advantage of any of the promo ops - I hate promo! And my networking isn't as effective as it might be - I don't have a really tight group of author-allies at any house.

For me, it's been a good path. I'm fairly prolific, so I don't worry too much about 'risking' a book on an unknown publisher, and I'm not really looking for a tight relationship with my editor or a lot of support from my fellow authors.

And as I watch the EC mess spreading out, I'm happy to have books in a variety of places, for sure.

Jamesaritchie

Registered
Reaction score
My theory has always been as many as you like, but only one at a time. Build a name and a reputation with one publisher before going to another. Spreading yourself too thin before you have the name and the time to pull it off can be problematical.

But you know yourself better than anyone here knows you. If you think you can handle everything that goes with spreading yourself thin, then go for it.

c.m.n.

Beary cute ( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)
Registered
Reaction score

My opinion, not more than you can successfully carry at any one time...

Think on it...

Oh, this is good.

Some people can successfully handle being with 5-6 + publishers and not lose their minds.

Others can only handle 3-4.

Me? I'm with 5 publishers, I think. This doesn't include my self-published stuff though. I'm hoping to shave off a couple in the next year.

Beachgirl

Not easily managed
Registered
Reaction score
I asked myself this question last year and decided to stay with just my one publisher for now. The meltdowns scare me somewhat and I know any publisher could go off the rails with enough of the wrong business decisions, but as long as my publisher seems to be strong I'll stay with them for my current genre. Besides, I can barely keep up with one author loop, so I can't imagine having several to keep straight.

I do hope to publish other genres and will need to find appropriate publishers at that time, but until then I'm sticking with one.

Pisco Sour

Registered
Reaction score
Thanks you, lovely responders! And thanks for the Scalzi 2010 link (good insight into other revenue streams, eye-opening). Your responses have given me great insight into possibilities and pitfalls or writing for many houses. Personal choice, circumstances, pairing,sub-genre,word count--and unfortunately on whether a publishing house stays in business! I hadn't thought much about the eggs-in-basket question until it was asked at my chat, though I probably should have done a Cathy C. and weighed/balanced/planned a while back. At the moment I'm not even a fish, more like a tadpole. LOL. When I wrote something my publisher didn't want I was thinking more of selling my new book than whether I'd be spreading myself thin (or even whether the house that offered was a good 'fit'.) In my case, dealing with the editing/promo at a different house whilst also editing/promoing something for my other publisher was very stressful, but after the books were out it was fine. TBH

Hmm, other than the juggling of admin/author loops at different houses, and not building author brand at one house it doesn't seem as though there's a fundamental disadvantage or warning to give people regarding placing their stories at different houses.

Thanks for you insights and experiences. Romance forum rocks!

Status
Not open for further replies.