Contemporary Romance Publishers

Status
Not open for further replies.

viridian6

Registered
Reaction score
I've decided to stop querying agents & go for small/medium publishers on my own. But finding these companies has me beating my head against my desk (which I realize is why you get an agent...)

I've gone thru every company listed at QueryTracker.net (in the romance genre), every publisher under the Where To Sell Your Novel post, etc etc. if they aren't an all erotic publisher, then they've got so many red flags over on the Bewares Forum that my faith in humanity takes a hit.

can someone point me in a direction? is there some amazing sight i'm missing? i'm hoping someone will go "duh, www.ContempRomancePublisherList.com"

viridian6

Registered
Reaction score
i would kill to work with Samhain. they've had my full since December 11.

Captcha

Banned
Reaction score
I'd second Samhain, for sure.

I'm giving Entangled a spin - there are some concerns about them in their thread, obviously, but they do have solid sales. I'm hoping that as long as I take them for what they seem to be (a trope-driven house with a slightly unconventional/rushed editing process), things might work out.

If you're writing het, those are honestly the only two that I've worked with that I would recommend. But others have had good luck with Loose Id and Carina - have you read those threads?

If you're writing m/m, I'd say Dreamspinner is definitely worth a try. I haven't seen any sales yet from Riptide, but they have a lot of pretty satisfied authors (and I think they cover the full LGBT spectrum).

ElaineA

All about that action, boss.
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.reneedominick.com
I follow Angela James on Twitter. She's the editorial director at Carina US (as opposed to Carina UK, which seems to have a more problematic reputation) As of last July, Carina US was calling for contemp everything and m/m everything and erotica and...lots of stuff. You might want to take a look at their blog, and here's a "What we're looking for."

Good luck!

viridian6

Registered
Reaction score
If you're writing het, those are honestly the only two that I've worked with that I would recommend. But others have had good luck with Loose Id and Carina - have you read those threads?

Yes. This MS is HET - Adult/New Adult Contemporary Romance It's not erotica, but it's not sweet romance either. Guess the heat level is "sensual." It just feels like pubs are interested in one extreme or the other. No middle ground.

viridian6

Registered
Reaction score
Oh & Carnia said "no thx." Entangled is on my list but ima give Sanhaim a few more wks before I sub to them.

Maryn

At Sea
Staff member
Super Moderator
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Excuse the obvious suggestion, but have you visited bookstores where you live and everywhere you visit, noting the publishers of the works that would be shelved next to yours if your book was already out? It won't help find epublishers, but it's sure a direction to go for print, especially genre.

If you take surreptitious pictures (no flash) you'll have publishers, author names, and titles, and can research at home at your leisure, checking author twitters and sites, publishers' submission guidelines, etc.

Maryn, who's done this

viridian6

Registered
Reaction score
Excuse the obvious suggestion, but have you visited bookstores where you live and everywhere you visit, noting the publishers of the works that would be shelved next to yours if your book was already out? It won't help find epublishers, but it's sure a direction to go for print, especially genre.

If you take surreptitious pictures (no flash) you'll have publishers, author names, and titles, and can research at home at your leisure, checking author twitters and sites, publishers' submission guidelines, etc.

Maryn, who's done this

Thx for this! I've been going thru the lists at GoodReads.com for my genre & doing this exact thing (closest bookstore is an hour away) & thought I was doing something crazy - like "this can't be how you do this. There has to be something I'm missing." LOL. Glad to see I'm not alone. ��

Last edited:

Maryn

At Sea
Staff member
Super Moderator
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
For those who live far from bookstores, there is still a way. Got friends, family members, online buddies, etc. who encourage you? Ask them to take those pictures at their bookstores and send them to you. Assuming they can focus and can figure out where you'd be shelved, same end result.

Maryn, who always visits bookstores when she travels, if there's time

Captcha

Banned
Reaction score
I'm not sure how many small- to mid- size publishers are getting their books into bookstores, though... or, I guess more relevantly, how many no-agent-needed publishers have bookstore placement.

I'm sure there are some. But it might be more useful to do a similar exercise on Amazon instead of a physical bookstore?

Marian Perera

starting over
Registered
Reaction score
Heaven is a place on earth called Toronto.
Website
www.marianperera.com
I've decided to stop querying agents & go for small/medium publishers on my own. But finding these companies has me beating my head against my desk (which I realize is why you get an agent...)

Have you checked out Loveswept and Avon Impulse? I don't think you need an agent to submit to them, though I also don't know what their sales are like.

viridian6

Registered
Reaction score
Have you checked out Loveswept and Avon Impulse? I don't think you need an agent to submit to them, though I also don't know what their sales are like.

Avon - yes.
Loveswept - never heard of them. Thx! I'll look into them!

Pisco Sour

Registered
Reaction score
To add to the other suggestions, my research showed good things about Liquid Silver. They've been in the business for 15 years and publish M/F as well as other combinations. Not sure how solid their sales are (I confess I don't go by sales numbers, much, as I think there are certain hot genres and pairings, and no matter how good a book you write or the efforts of a publisher, sometimes it just doesn't depend on you or the publisher, but what the market wants to read. E.g. I have a book that's sold oodles of copies, and another that's a slow trickler. Same publisher, same author--different readership). Anyhoo, I liked LS enough to submit an M/F novella to them a while back, and I liked their contract (they don't rights grab!) By the end of the year I'll be in a position to see what their sales are like for contemporary M/F, heat level 2 (graphic raunch but not erotica). :)

LJD

Registered
Reaction score
In addition to Loveswept, there's also Forever Yours (Hachette's digital-first imprint), and I think you can submit to Kensington without an agent.

viridian6

Registered
Reaction score
Thanks, guys. gosh, y'all are the best! xoxo
i've also got Amber Quill on my list, but they don't take simultaneous subs (gross! who does that?!)

Deb Kinnard

Banned
Flounced
Reaction score
Website
www.debkinnard.com
Desert Breeze (print and e-) accepts romances that are PG and G rated. They will not publish erotic romance. So far, my print books haven't made it into b&m stores, so if this is a deal breaker for you, they mightn't be your cuppa.

Jules Court

Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.julescourt.com
Just wanted to say thanks for this thread. It's super helpful for me, too. I've recently decided not to sub anything else to my current epub because the heat level in my books is a bit lower than what their readers are looking for.

MsLaylaCakes

Playing the waiting game
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.taraquan.com
I have medium-heat M/F contemporaries with both Decadent and Liquid Silver. My Decadent titles sell better, but this could just be random/timing. Both pubs have fair, author-friendly contracts (in my opinion). They've also both paid on-time (quarterly), send me regular sales statements, and have great communication. I haven't regretted working with either of them.

Disclaimer: Both pubs are predominantly electronic-only. I only have one title out in print (through Decadent), but it's POD. In short, if your dream is to have your book on the shelves at B&N, neither of these pubs would be a good fit.

P.S. Decadent doesn't take simultaneous subs either... It kinda works for me since I prefer to sub one place at a time. Liquid Silver does take simultaneous subs though.

KimJo

Outside the box, with the werewolves
Registered
Reaction score
Website
karennacolcroft.com
Entangled has kind of a mixed reputation, depending on whom you ask. *Personally* I wouldn't submit to them again. I sent them a project for which I received a revise/resubmit, but when I took a close look at what they wanted, I would have had to pretty much scrap the entire novel and rewrite it from scratch, and some of the changes they wanted would have completely changed the characterization and a couple of the major plot points.

But I've heard wonderful things about them from other authors, so YMMV.

To the best of my knowledge, Kensington doesn't require agents, and Lyrical Press, which has kind of taken over as Kensington's digital arm since Kensington bought them out, definitely doesn't. And the reputation is solid, from what I've seen, though lately I think there were a few concerns voiced about Lyrical in their Bewares thread.

Loose Id is solid for an e-pub, though I *think* M/M, menage, BDSM, etc. sell better for them than pure hetero contemporary. (Though my next project with them is a hetero contemporary...)

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.