Am I bonkers for writing male 1st person POV/multiple 1st person POV and hoping to sell?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Katharine Tree

Þæt wæs god cyning
Registered
Reaction score
Website
katharinetree.com
1: Male, first person POV: I am circa 30K into a M/F contemporary erotic romance told entirely in my male character's , first person POV. That's the way it's coming to me, and though I've tried to write this thing in my F's POV…it's not happening. I've had a go at putting it into third person, with both M and F's POV, but…meh. So am I nuts to think there are readers who enjoy a male only 1st person POV romance/erotic romance book? I haven't read any that I can remember, but the story won't be told any other way.

Romance from the man's POV appeals to me enormously (straight female). Women want him, men want to be him, right? As a woman, I definitely get a lot of wish-fulfillment from having access to the man's mind.

Having said that, I think that these are particularly difficult for women to write. In my own writing, the scenes I am mostly likely to have to re-write are ones in which a male lead is dealing with strong emotions. Men just don't emote the way women do, you know? It makes it easy to mis-step when formulating a character's feel-act-speak units.

Captcha

Banned
Reaction score
Romance from the man's POV appeals to me enormously (straight female). Women want him, men want to be him, right? As a woman, I definitely get a lot of wish-fulfillment from having access to the man's mind.

Having said that, I think that these are particularly difficult for women to write. In my own writing, the scenes I am mostly likely to have to re-write are ones in which a male lead is dealing with strong emotions. Men just don't emote the way women do, you know? It makes it easy to mis-step when formulating a character's feel-act-speak units.

Well, if you've read the rest of the thread you've probably picked up on the idea that lots of women have no problems at all writing men. So that doesn't mean it's not a challenge for YOU... we all have different ticks as writers. But it probably means you shouldn't assume things about women writers in general.

And I'd say you shouldn't assume things about male or female characters in general, either. You don't want your male character to emote in some generic 'average male' fashion, you want him to emote in the way HE, as an individual, emotes. Does that make sense?

Katharine Tree

Þæt wæs god cyning
Registered
Reaction score
Website
katharinetree.com
One thing you didn't read into my response to you is that I was writing it before coffee (ha), so my apologies for uncalled-for prickliness, on my own part.

It is also true that the process of communication inherently involves reading things into what is said, so I have of course read things into your response. This is the line that got my dander up:

You don't want your male character to emote in some generic 'average male' fashion, you want him to emote in the way HE, as an individual, emotes. Does that make sense?

Of course not. Of course people are just people, deep inside, and men have deeply felt emotions just like women do.

However: notice that I referenced the feel--act--speak sequence. That is where men and women differ. While they both feel, genders are conditioned to act in very different ways. You don't need me to explain what those ways are.

What I said in my post--which was my matter-of-opinion response to the OP--is that writing another gender means you have to pay careful attention to the act--speak portion of the sequence. The same goes for writing other ages, other nationalities, other socioeconomic groups. There are plenty of essays written about being careful when you write ethnic groups other than your own, for example. I don't think a statement that it takes more thought to write a different gender merits a scolding. The other gender has had a different experience from the author's own.

Since I'm new here and nobody knows me, let me explain why I'm interested in this question: I'm a woman. I just finished writing half a million words about a male character dealing with the disconnect between his own emotional instincts and how a contemporary/near-future society expects him to behave. I have a really appropriate 300 words I could post to illustrate how I have handled it, but I don't know the etiquette about posting snippets in threads like these.

morngnstar

Registered
Reaction score
Hi, welcome Katharine Tree. I'm essentially on your side. I think you should take gender into account when predicting your characters' behavior. You'll get more leeway, though, if you hedge with "typically" or "not all men".

Katharine Tree

Þæt wæs god cyning
Registered
Reaction score
Website
katharinetree.com
Hi, welcome Katharine Tree. I'm essentially on your side. I think you should take gender into account when predicting your characters' behavior. You'll get more leeway, though, if you hedge with "typically" or "not all men".

Thanks for agreeing with me :)

I agree that there are no blanket rules in the "feel" side of things. Individuals are individuals. Of course not all men feel the same way. However, given a similar cultural background, I think it's fair to assume some level of similarity in the way they have been conditioned to act on their feelings...http://absolutewrite.com//www.pinterest.com/pin/create/extension/

Last edited:

Captcha

Banned
Reaction score
One thing you didn't read into my response to you is that I was writing it before coffee (ha), so my apologies for uncalled-for prickliness, on my own part.

It is also true that the process of communication inherently involves reading things into what is said, so I have of course read things into your response. This is the line that got my dander up:

Of course not. Of course people are just people, deep inside, and men have deeply felt emotions just like women do.

However: notice that I referenced the feel--act--speak sequence. That is where men and women differ. While they both feel, genders are conditioned to act in very different ways. You don't need me to explain what those ways are.

What I said in my post--which was my matter-of-opinion response to the OP--is that writing another gender means you have to pay careful attention to the act--speak portion of the sequence. The same goes for writing other ages, other nationalities, other socioeconomic groups. There are plenty of essays written about being careful when you write ethnic groups other than your own, for example. I don't think a statement that it takes more thought to write a different gender merits a scolding. The other gender has had a different experience from the author's own.

Since I'm new here and nobody knows me, let me explain why I'm interested in this question: I'm a woman. I just finished writing half a million words about a male character dealing with the disconnect between his own emotional instincts and how a contemporary/near-future society expects him to behave. I have a really appropriate 300 words I could post to illustrate how I have handled it, but I don't know the etiquette about posting snippets in threads like these.

Okay, no offense taken (and no 'scolding' intended).

And as you're new here you don't know that we've had this similar conversation a lot of times. (And I'm not sure any of the conversations has ever actually changed the opinions of anyone involved!).

But it's my belief that there's more variation within sexes than between them. That is, there are women who communicate easily about their feelings and women who don't; men who have trouble with it and men who don't. There's probably a bell curve for both sexes, possibly with one of curves a bit further to one side of the scale or the other.

But there are still all those individuals whose experiences contribute to the average, and paying too much attention to the average isn't necessary, in my opinion.

Like, for something less contentious, women on average are probably shorter than men. But that shouldn't stop you from writing a tall woman or a short man, right?

Pisco Sour

Registered
Reaction score
Just popping in since I saw the new posts, to thank my responders for answering my questions so thoroughly. Yeah, dunno about others, but writing a novel purely from the male POV has made me concentrate more 'language and gender', but essenstially, I think people are just...people, and I write according to my characters' personalities--male or female.

I finished my first draft of this story, but things are a bit complicated for me right now, suddenly, and I'm shelving it for the moment. Probably a good thing, since giving it a few months to cool before I look at it again should be benefitial! :)

greendragon

Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.greendragonartist.com
While it wasn't erotica, Robert Heinlein did well enough with four 1st person POVs in Number of the Beast. *shrugs*. He did it just like you described, each chapter titled with the person narrating. They were two married couples, the wife in one being the daughter of the husband in the other. They traveled the stars in a time machine.

For the male POV - I'd read that just out of sheer curiosity :)

Pisco Sour

Registered
Reaction score
While it wasn't erotica, Robert Heinlein did well enough with four 1st person POVs in Number of the Beast. *shrugs*. He did it just like you described, each chapter titled with the person narrating. They were two married couples, the wife in one being the daughter of the husband in the other. They traveled the stars in a time machine.

For the male POV - I'd read that just out of sheer curiosity :)

Cool, must look that up and put it in my TBR pile along with, oh, a gazillion other books I haven't got time to read right now. LOL! BTW, I love your covers. Lovely!

Mellow

Registered
Reaction score
I don't think there's anything wrong with it.

I have been writing lots of stuff from 1st person male perspective, switching POVs and I even have one that has three 1st person POVs.

Keep in mind, i have no idea what i'm doing though!

Being a new writer that hasn't hit (self) publish yet, I have no idea how people will feel about it.

I did find a popular female author on amazon that is on all the best seller lists and checked out a couple of her books. I was surprised to see that she had written nearly all of the story in first person male and the readers loved it. She had tons of 4 and 5 star reviews.

I thought it was awesome, because I had been wondering if readers would be okay with a female writer writing from the man's perspective. Turns out most readers are fine with it.

Status
Not open for further replies.