The Next Circle of Hell

Status
Not open for further replies.

hester

New year, new avatar.
Registered
Reaction score
So...just sent my revision (read--total rewrite) to my agent. Someone hold me and ply me with strong drink :D.

Waves to all the new posters, and (((hugs))) for Rs.

Putputt

permanently suctioned to Buz's leg
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
So...just sent my revision (read--total rewrite) to my agent. Someone hold me and ply me with strong drink :D.

Waves to all the new posters, and (((hugs))) for Rs.

*holds you and makes cooing noises*

Did you really have to rewrite the entire thing? That's pretty crazy!

Bryan Methods

Registered
Reaction score
My 73,000,000th major revision went to the agent tonight. She wants to show it to her new boss (who did send me a very nice welcome letter) and have him give it a read before it goes back out.

This makes me nervous because a) I don't want to rewrite it again no matter what he says and b) I'm scared that he'll hate it and tell her it sucks and then she'll drop me after I already left the other agency. Which is a silly thing to worry about, I know, but I'm nervous just the same.

That said, I like this revision a lot. So that's something.

I'm pretty sure that there's nothing to be scared of! In fact, this shows she's very serious. And if you like the revision, you should be confident.

I remember on my last revision, my agent saying how much she thought I'd managed to improve it - that was a great feeling. :)

MartinaMay

Registered
Reaction score
My 73,000,000th major revision went to the agent tonight. She wants to show it to her new boss (who did send me a very nice welcome letter) and have him give it a read before it goes back out.

This makes me nervous because a) I don't want to rewrite it again no matter what he says and b) I'm scared that he'll hate it and tell her it sucks and then she'll drop me after I already left the other agency. Which is a silly thing to worry about, I know, but I'm nervous just the same.

That said, I like this revision a lot. So that's something.

This is so exciting! But nerve-wracking, too.

I just sent my latest revision to my agent, too. Not sure of the #. I'm crossing everything this will be the last round. She didn't have much to suggest, just a few word choices, fleshing out 3 areas (a few lines), and killing off a few mortals. I referred to people as mortals 81 times. Ugh. I now have a lean 35 mortals in the MS. :)

whiporee

Registered
Reaction score
8700 foot above sea level, 1500 miles from the oce
Website
www.abeachday.com
Hi everyone --

So now that I'm done with the novel, it's time to work on the aforementioned pilot script. Which I've never done before.

So if anyone could take a peek at this over in SYW and let me know whether it works even little teeny tiny bit, I'd appreciate it

http://absolutewrite.com/forums/showthread.php?p=9310787#post9310787

Thanks

Putputt

Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Sent my revisions to my agents a couple of days ago. Should I be worried that I didn't receive a confirmation of receipt from them? *lies down to do deep breathing*

*flails*

Treehouseman

Registered
Reaction score
Today is the day, apparently. My MS went out to 7 editors. So I'm supposed to forget this and work on something else? What manner of fresh hell is this???

hester

New year, new avatar.
Registered
Reaction score
YAY and vamp dust for revisions Putt! And don't worry--you can always send a quick e-mail to verify receipt. Crossables crossed for ya! Is this for book number two?

Welcome Treehouseman! Fresh hell is a good way to describe it :D. More vamp dust for you!!

Ooh, whip, that sounds exciting! I don't know anything about screenplays, but just wanted to say good luck!! And good luck with the revisions!!

Fuchsia Groan

Becoming a laptop-human hybrid
Registered
Reaction score
Deep breaths, Putt! I'd check if you don't hear from them in a week.

Good luck, Treehouseman! A fresh hell it is indeed. With a perpetually running roller coaster.

Bryan Methods

Registered
Reaction score
Today is the day, apparently. My MS went out to 7 editors. So I'm supposed to forget this and work on something else? What manner of fresh hell is this???

Haha, I know exactly that feeling. And I must admit my output has been dismal since I went out on sub. But congratulations!

Some good news for me today, if nothing solid. One editor is taking my manuscript to their acquisitions meeting, and another has sent a note to my agent saying she's halfway through reading it and loves it so far. So that's pretty nice!

RRK

I named the dog Indiana
Registered
Reaction score
Good luck, Bryan! Fingers crossed!

Treehouseman

Registered
Reaction score
Haha, I know exactly that feeling. And I must admit my output has been dismal since I went out on sub. But congratulations!

Some good news for me today, if nothing solid. One editor is taking my manuscript to their acquisitions meeting, and another has sent a note to my agent saying she's halfway through reading it and loves it so far. So that's pretty nice!

That's great news Bryan, I actually was interested in how you'd go, I read some of your posts earlier on being out to HC (or was it your website? I clicked on something) Both sound really promising.

And to all, it's terrifying freading some of the old posts and finding folks who have goine through round after round, only to bow out. This is suck a f*cking huge project I'd hate to miss out so close to the finish line. It's taken me years to get here... :e2violin:

Putputt

Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Thanks for the advice, guys!

Treehouseman - Yep, welcome to the next circle of hell. :D Hang in there, the torture will soon be over. I'd say work on your next book, but I could only do that after 2 weeks of frantic spinning and gnawing of my own hooves, so...do whatever would keep you slightly sane!

Bryan - That is amazing news!! I'm keeping my hooves crossed for you!

Fuchsia Groan

Becoming a laptop-human hybrid
Registered
Reaction score
Yay, Bryan, so exciting! Keeping everything crossed for you.

And to all, it's terrifying freading some of the old posts and finding folks who have goine through round after round, only to bow out. This is suck a f*cking huge project I'd hate to miss out so close to the finish line. It's taken me years to get here... :e2violin:

It's true, so true. But sometimes people who bow out of Next Circle and never return still have impressive publications in their sigs ... so we only know part of the saga.

Anyway, good luck to you and everybody! Hope you aced that rewrite, Hester! :)

hester

New year, new avatar.
Registered
Reaction score
Thanks so much Fuchsia! (And belated thanks to Putt for hippo hugs! :D). I'll update once I hear something. For now, I'm trying to keep myself distracted with my revision on WIP number two...

Becca C.

Registered
Reaction score
Hi all!

So I sent my agent my last big revision on like, October 22... then just before Christmas, she said I'd have her final notes in the first week of January... then I nudged two weeks ago and she said "within a week"... this really is the next circle of hell. At least I know that when I do get the notes, they aren't much more than line edits so I'll be able to do them quickly, and then it's going on sub, but still. Man. This - wait - is - taking its toll, on meee... /Maroon 5 song

I've written a whole manuscript and worked it through its major revisions in the time I've been waiting! I might even move on to another MS after this. Taking "work on a new book" to the next level.

Putputt

Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Hi all!

So I sent my agent my last big revision on like, October 22... then just before Christmas, she said I'd have her final notes in the first week of January... then I nudged two weeks ago and she said "within a week"... this really is the next circle of hell. At least I know that when I do get the notes, they aren't much more than line edits so I'll be able to do them quickly, and then it's going on sub, but still. Man. This - wait - is - taking its toll, on meee... /Maroon 5 song

I've written a whole manuscript and worked it through its major revisions in the time I've been waiting! I might even move on to another MS after this. Taking "work on a new book" to the next level.

Oh wow, that IS a long wait! I've often wondered how long it takes agents to get back to clients during the revisions period. Seems like it varies a lot. My last agent took months to get back to me with comments on revisions too, which drove me insane. Kudos to you for staying sane!

My agent just sent me a note apologizing for forgetting to confirm receipt of my revised MS. Let the waiting commence!

Becca C.

Registered
Reaction score
My agent just sent me a note apologizing for forgetting to confirm receipt of my revised MS. Let the waiting commence!

Woohoo! At least with this kind of wait, you're at least certain of the outcome. You aren't waiting on a 'yes' or 'no' so it isn't impending heartbreak :p mine is just looking forward to which commas to change and which Canadian spellings to switch to American, I'm guessing.

My agent's agency office is in Boston and she lives in Connecticut, so she's having a lot of weather-related troubles right now, which must be part of it. I definitely don't blame her!

Last edited:

Putputt

Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Woohoo! At least with this kind of wait, you're at least certain of the outcome. You aren't waiting on a 'yes' or 'no' so it isn't impending heartbreak :p mine is just looking forward to which commas to change and which Canadian spellings to switch to American, I'm guessing.

My agent's agency office is in Boston and she lives in Connecticut, so she's having a lot of weather-related troubles right now, which must be part of it. I definitely don't blame her!

What with blackouts and power lines going down, I'm sure she has a lot on her plate!

I kinda have agent PTSD, lol. With this book, after the last revision with my ex-agent, she said she couldn't think of how to solve the issues it has and told me to move on to my next project. AaaaaAaaa! Part of the reason why I went with my new agents is because they not only pointed out the same issues, they also gave really great suggestions on how to solve them. So hooves crossed that they're happy with what I've done... *goes back to frantic spinning*

Status
Not open for further replies.