Charlie and the Nature Factory [Warning: Stunningly Beautiful Large Photo Images]

Lady MacBeth

Out, damn'd spot! out, I say.
Registered
Reaction score
That diving osprey sure kicked up a lot of water.

night-flyer

roasting cows
Registered
Reaction score
That sucks. It's sad and unfortunate but as Silver King said, it was an accident. It could have been worse.

Aw, nf. :( That's awful.

That's a tough break, and I understand how bad you must have felt. I realize it's not much consolation, but it was, after all, an accident that you couldn't avoid at the time.

What really made it sadder was that I was just admiring the eagle a little while before when I was at my friend's house. It was sitting on top of a pole looking as regal and beautiful as anything could. I don't know what kind of eagle it was, but it had a white head and was as big as a turkey. I was thinking a bald one, but then I didn't know if we even had those here.

Now, I can't say it was the same eagle or not, but it looked just like it and eagles are rare to spot here. :( If I had had time to react I probably would've swerved or slammed on the brakes and I know that would've caused a serious wreck on the freeway. There were vehicles behind me and beside me and all traveling at pretty good speed.

I still had to pull off the road after I got off the freeway and bawled, though. :cry:

I first read this as "dig out my pants." :ROFL:

Need more coffee...

Not sure if that calls for a :roll: or an :eek:

swachski

checking the 'reset' box
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Great osprey images, SK!

Nifer, that's so sad about the eagle! I know I would bawl my eyes out too.

Your comment about paintings made me think of a painting I did of a hosta plant.

hosta-painting.jpg

and the original image, which has a beautiful green glow that I couldn't capture, but oh well.:

hostaflower.jpg

Silver King

Megalops Erectus
Registered
Reaction score
Oh, that's beautiful, swachskskisiksiwki!
Yes, and such a talent she displays! I should commission her to paint an osprey scene. :)

It's interesting how often writers are drawn to other mediums of expression, as if the written word isn't always enough to convey our passions or give form to the visions we wish to share with others.

Tepelus

And so...
Registered
Reaction score
Website
keskedgell.blogspot.com
That is a good painting, swachski! I draw sometimes and used to paint too, but I write more now than I draw. The last thing I drew was my avatar. I don't have the patience for drawing or painting like I used to, and if I mess something up I get frustrated and stop working on it. Unlike writing, where I can go back and delete or rewrite words on a computer screen much more easily than I can erase and redraw pencil lines on paper, or paint on canvas.

swachski

checking the 'reset' box
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Thanks everyone! I sort of put down the brush and picked up the pen, you could say. I haven't painted anything in a couple years. For the same reason that Tepelus mentions, it's easier to correct something you wrote than something you paint. Plus I get more satisfaction from writing. :)

And Tep, your avie is very cool!

SK, I may just consider that osprey commission... but it would cut into my writing time (in actuality, my AW time. hehe)

Tepelus

And so...
Registered
Reaction score
Website
keskedgell.blogspot.com
but it would cut into my writing time

Yeah, that's my thinking, too. Drawing time would cut into writing time, but mainly my drawing muse just doesn't hang with me much anymore. If a drawing doesn't turn out like I want it to early on I get easily discouraged and throw it out. My avatar made it to completion because I was having a good drawing night and the outline was coming out the way I wanted it to for once, so that gave me the encouragement I needed to finish it.

night-flyer

roasting cows
Registered
Reaction score
That painting is lovely, swachski. A job well done, my friend.Perfect in every way. :) The Ospreys and egrets has me wanting to draw and paint. But my stuff is packed up from the last mortgage foreclosure crap I went through and I'm not sure where everything is. :( But when I find it all SK's birds are going to live on my canvas and in my house. ;)

swachski

checking the 'reset' box
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
You can't just paint SK's birds for yourself, Niffy, you'll need to send him one as payment for inspiring you!! :D Good luck finding your paints and canvases soon, and I hope your new blood is ... well... doing it's bloody job. :Hug2:

Lady MacBeth

Out, damn'd spot! out, I say.
Registered
Reaction score
My avatar made it to completion because I was having a good drawing night and the outline was coming out the way I wanted it to for once, so that gave me the encouragement I needed to finish it.

You drew your avatar? Wow. I'm impressed.

Silver King

Megalops Erectus
Registered
Reaction score
You can't just paint SK's birds for yourself, Niffy, you'll need to send him one as payment for inspiring you!!
I like that idea!

On a more serious note, there's been another local killing of a bird, this time an osprey:
...Investigators are trying to determine how the bird died, but the fragments indicate it was shot...
Additional details can be found here.

I can't express how I feel without sounding angry and depressed and profane; so I'll just say that I hope the person responsible is found and made to pay for the senseless slaughter of that osprey.

Silver King

Megalops Erectus
Registered
Reaction score
Yes I did. Thank you. Here's a link to see a few other things I've drawn, and a few photos. There isn't much to see, but I haven't been drawing much lately either.
Very nice work. :)

It seems the longer this thread goes on, the more artistic talents our members reveal of themselves.

I'm surprised you haven't shared more photos of your work with flowers. Some of them are fantastic and would be a good fit for this discussion.

swachski

checking the 'reset' box
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Awesome drawings, Tep! You should really keep at it. ;)

That is tragic news about the osprey, SK. I agree with you, the slimeball needs to be held accountable. I don't get it. What would possess someone to kill such an amazing animal just for kicks? Stoopid hoomins...

Silver King

Megalops Erectus
Registered
Reaction score
Speaking of flowers, here's a couple more I took while trespassing visiting the front yards of random homes:

4-13-12195-SM.jpg

4-13-12133-SM.jpg

During that outing, most residents weren't home at the time. Those who were and saw me were gracious and friendly, except for a couple of characters who acted as if their flowers were too good to be photographed. I took pictures of them anyway and beat a hasty retreat while they dialed 911...

swachski

checking the 'reset' box
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
You are so daring and adventurous! :D Putting your life at risk in the line of duty... I applaud your bravery.

Those are wonderful photos, btw. *leans up to the monitor to smell the rose.*

heyjude

Making my own sunshine
Registered
Reaction score
:ROFL: Totally worth it, SK. Call if you ever need bailed out. :)

Tepelus, beautiful stuff!

I so admire those of you with, you know, talent and stuff. :tongue I have no other artistic talent than writing.

Silver King

Megalops Erectus
Registered
Reaction score
...That is tragic news about the osprey, SK. I agree with you, the slimeball needs to be held accountable. I don't get it. What would possess someone to kill such an amazing animal just for kicks? Stoopid hoomins...
I think there's a sense of entitlement, of ownership even, that some people perceive in regards to their environment. They don't consider themselves part of the whole but rather as masters of the entire structure that can manipulate life however they please. In their minds, they're not doing anything wrong and are merely exerting their dominance over other creatures.

More and more, though, I find those types regretting their actions eventually. They might have thought that a fine and a slap on the wrist would make up for the loss of life, but they were sadly mistaken.

And that's all I have to say about that, except I'm not alone in that belief, at least in this area.

swachski

checking the 'reset' box
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
I stand beside you in those beliefs. :) That whole superior species mindset is so wrong.

night-flyer

roasting cows
Registered
Reaction score
You can't just paint SK's birds for yourself, Niffy, you'll need to send him one as payment for inspiring you!! :D Good luck finding your paints and canvases soon, and I hope your new blood is ... well... doing it's bloody job. :Hug2:

Thanks swachski. :Hug2: I might just do that if they turn out good. :D I know I'll send him pics of them at least. We'll see how it goes. ;)

I like that idea!

On a more serious note, there's been another local killing of a bird, this time an osprey: Additional details can be found here.

I can't express how I feel without sounding angry and depressed and profane; so I'll just say that I hope the person responsible is found and made to pay for the senseless slaughter of that osprey.

:( Such an awesome creature to just have someone shoot it down. Such a person could never see the beauty in the world, only destroy it.

benbradley

It's a doggy dog world
Registered
Reaction score
Speaking of flowers, here's a couple more I took while trespassing visiting the front yards of random homes:
During that outing, most residents weren't home at the time. Those who were and saw me were gracious and friendly, except for a couple of characters who acted as if their flowers were too good to be photographed. I took pictures of them anyway and beat a hasty retreat while they dialed 911...
What's that saying spelunkers have?

"Take only pictures. Leave only muddy spots that can't be identified as individual footprints..." :D