Erotica or Sci Fi?

Status
Not open for further replies.

darateague

Registered
Reaction score
Without getting into any, ahem, "explicit" details, my WIP has a lot of erotic elements (as early as the third page in!). It was meant to be a science fiction story too, but ... Somewhere along the road, it mutated. What I have now is dark and genre with a lot of mature scenes. Think HBO's Game of Thrones (or Martin's ASoIaF).

But I think that it should be "one or the other", and I'm not sure if this just nervousness about writing something that is of two genres (I've only written modern erotica before) or if there is a genuine problem.

Since a lot of the characters are courtesans, removing all of the adult scenes isn't an option. Extracting most explicit elements would leave a sci fi book with steamy bits. On the other hand, it's already erotic fiction with a space opera bent.

Either genre appeals to me, but I'm concerned about what is more marketable at this point. If it helps, I'm considering self-publishing.

Thanks in advance for any advice. :)

PaulLev

I was here 3 months from now.
Registered
Reaction score
Website
PaulLevinson.net
Given the restrictions on sale of erotica - not suitable for children, etc - you pretty much have no choice but to label what you write as erotica if it has explicit scenes, etc., whether the locales are science fictional or whatever.

And erotica sells better than science fiction.

That said, your best course is no doubt to promote your work in both categories.

Maryn

Baaa!
Staff member
Super Moderator
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
While there are hybrids of erotica and virtually every other genre, erotica has its own characteristics which identify it--and graphic, explicit, and frequent sexual scenes are not among them.

In erotica, the sexual journey of the main character is vital. The sexual acts are the essential plot which make that character a different person than when the story began. The fact that your characters bop one another all the time doesn't make it erotica; it simply makes them humans.

You may have to tone down the level of detail in your sex scenes in order to enter the scifi market. Not that there can't be sexual plot elements, but there's a level that's appropriate for the genre.

FWIW, one of our members has written a very nice erotica-scifi blend, Moro's Price. Maybe if you read it you'll be clearer on what the differences are in the threshhold for erotic fiction versus fiction with sex scenes.

Maryn, pretty sure you'll like it

MumblingSage

Inarticulate Herb
Registered
Reaction score
If you're looking for examples of published fantasy/sci-fi with courtesan characters (and why wouldn't you? ;D), Jaqueline Carey's Kushiel trilogies and Sarah Monette's Melusine are classified as Fantasy, not erotica. Even though they do have a fair bit of well-written erotic scenes.

There are also publishers of erotic sci-fi and fantasy, such as Circlet Press and Changeling Press.

So whichever you do go with, rest assured that you *do* have options.

JJMoon

Banned
Flounced
Reaction score
Darateague,

I just recently released an Erotica/Sci-Fi cross. I released it as erotica, and it hasn't seen the sales that I would like just yet. I'm not sure if it would see better sales being listed under sci-fi?

If it's under 15,000 words, I would say market it in the erotica zone, because erotica readers prefer that length. Sci-Fi readers like longer. Of course, don't just go off of word count.

Another thing to consider is, does the sex drive the plot? In erotica, the sex is pivotal to the plot of the story, and usually is the story. If it's just a sci-fi plot with lots of sexual scenes, than I would be more inclined to call it sci-fi, and make sure to warn your readers about the sexual content.

Filigree

Mildly Disturbing
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.cranehanabooks.com
Thanks for the shout-out, Maryn.

Darateague, you have a lot of options depending how explicit you want to go. Sure, you can have courtesans and suggestive scenes in mainstream SF&F, and blockbuster writers like George R.R.Martin are pushing the limit constantly.

A great example of middle-of-the-road sensuality is Lynn Flewelling's 'Nightrunner' series. It features intricate plots, dark fantasy, adventure, and a wonderfully developed slow-build romance between two male main characters. Alec and Seregil are also bisexual, and some major plot developments happen around their scenes with the female courtesans and warriors who are their friends. There's nothing explicit - sad sigh - until you get into Lynn's companion collection Glimpses, which has some racier stuff.

The genres are blurring. Five to ten years ago, many erotic romances with elements of science fiction and fantasy often didn't have the worldbuilding or plot depth of many mainstream counterparts. That's no longer the case. Many erotic romance e-publishers (and mainsteam Big Five houses) are looking for more than plot-thin frameworks for sex scenes.

This is a very, very good time to be writing this stuff.

Status
Not open for further replies.