General anime discussion thread

Dawnstorm

punny user title, here
Registered
Reaction score
So... is nyaa officially dead?

I heard it's suffering from an acute case of DDoS, which is usually not lethal. But who knows?

(Actually I googled nyaa and found this site. Before your post I was only vaguely aware of nyaa, and before I found that site I didn't know what DDoS is. You live and learn.)

Shadow Dragon

Registered
Reaction score
So, what anime are you guys looking forward to in the fall season? The two shows that I'm most hyped about is Chaika season 2 and Fate/Stay Night. Aside from them the shows I'm definitely watching are:

Yuuki Yuuna wa Yuusha de Aru: What can I say, I'm a sucker for slice of life shows.

Terra Formars: Seems like the action elements will be worth watching. As for the story, since it seems to be more along the lines of seinen instead of show, it could be interesting.

Inou-Battle: I'll definitely check out something made by Trigger.

Parasyte: The preview just looks cool.

Grisaia no Kajitsu: Seems like the typical harem show at first glance, but the characters seem much more interesting than the typical harem.

Akatsuki no Yona: I like the art style and the story has some potential.

Ore, Twin Tails: It sounds like it has potential to be an entertaining, cheesy action show. Also, I kinda like the idea of a guy who transforms into a magical girl.

Trinity Seven: Post apocalyptic settings always interest me. Though the ecchi tag is worrisome.

Oh and here's a guide for what's coming up: http://anichart.net/fall

Last edited:

Alexys

Took a wrong turn at the Pleiades
Registered
Reaction score
So, what anime are you guys looking forward to in the fall season?

Will be watching:
  • Log Horizon
  • Hitsugi no Chaika
  • Psycho-pass
  • Fate/stay night

Will be trying:
  • Akatsuki no Yona
  • Garo: Honoo no Kokuin
  • Kiseijuu
  • Nanatsu no Taizai
  • Terra Formars

Might also try, if I have any openings left (or if they get exceptionally good reviews):
  • Cross Ange: Tenshi to Ryuu no Rondo
  • Donten ni Warau
  • Gugure! Kokkuri-san
  • Inou-Battle wa Nichijou-kei no Naka de
  • Madan no Ou to Vanadis
  • Ore, Twintails ni Narimasu
  • Orenchi no Furo Jijou
  • Sanzoku no Musume Ronja
  • Sora no Method
  • Trinity Seven: 7-nin no Mahoutsukai
  • World Trigger

Overall, a much more promising season than the current one.

Antonin

▐п╣�▀╪? ╧ы§�Й!
Registered
Reaction score
I leave for a few days and the whole thread gets lively. :p

Hm, I haven't seen XXXHolic, so I don't know. But I got the impression that there's a limit to what kind of price she can choose. She definitely comes across as a bit sadistic, though. I really can't make her out. Have to watch XXXHolic sometime.

Btw XxxHolic and Tsubasa, XxxHolic is the better show by far. I found Tsubasa a little dull after awhile. Loved its premise though.

I'm still trying to find that last manga I need to complete the collection I have for XXXholic. I got one off the internet and it turned out to be in German. :(

It seems like hardly any recent animes are this good though. Honestly I feel like you can pick some great animes from the 90s and hardly any afterwards. The only thing that's caught my eye in recent years is Attack on Titan. Obviously people have varied tastes, but I'm not seeing anything intriguing. Unless someone would like to suggest a few?

This just kinda seems like a case of "the good old days." Back then, admittedly, things were harder to come by and anime was this "new awesome thing." So I bars were set lower. There's plenty of great anime out there now, but its just different. We just now have a giant influx of anime and there's a lot of stuff to sift through.

And you gotta remember to take off your nostalgia goggles.

Of course, this is the dude that goes on to make shit like Fractale and Wake up, Girls! so take it with a grain of salt.

You didn't like Fractale? Or are you just saying that it doesn't live up to things like Eva?

And stuff like Bakemonogatari may not be very highbrow, but it's certainly a masterpiece of some kind.

Obligatory (NSFW)

Antonin

▐п╣�▀╪? ╧ы§�Й!
Registered
Reaction score
It was pretty mediocre and the fact that Yamakan hyped it into orbit before it aired soured the taste for many of us.

That's fair. I didn't see any of the hype so I think that may have saved it for me. I think my wife was the one that stumbled on it and showed it to me, I went in clean I guess.

Dawnstorm

punny user title, here
Registered
Reaction score
Btw XxxHolic and Tsubasa, XxxHolic is the better show by far. I found Tsubasa a little dull after awhile. Loved its premise though.

I've looked into the second season, but it seemed weaker, so I didn't really watch it, for now. xxxHolic is on my list, but so are many, many other shows (and I end up watching shows that aren't on my list instead - go figure).

I'm still trying to find that last manga I need to complete the collection I have for XXXholic. I got one off the internet and it turned out to be in German. :(

Aww. Not sure how practical it is online, but since German's my mother tongue, I might be able to provide translation of some key points, where the visuals aren't enough to get it.

If I remember correctly, I liked Fractale a bit less than kuwisdelu. My main problems were that (a) I didn't think it did anything interesting with its premise, and (b) I didn't like any of the characters. With nothing to sustain me, certain minor quibbles (unfunny humour) became major points... And, yes, Yamakan's comments boosted the impression: I'm really not sure about the details anymore, but I think he said something like the current anime landscape being too ingrained in otaku culture, and he was out for international recognition. Because of the things he said, I had the impression of a wannabe Gibhli show that tried hard to deny its otaku roots while having a little girl scream hentai and making a fundoshi joke complete with dog-standard emberrassment.

All that to say: yup - mediocrity + hype isn't a good combination.

As for next season, as usual I'm going to start a lot (it'd be quicker to mention what I won't at least try).

I'll be watching and most likely enjoying Mushishi,Chaika, and Log Horizon. I don't expect too many surprises there.

I'll be watching and rolling my eyes at Wixxos and Psycho Pass (the latter is definitely better, but I didn't like how the first season ended for a variety of reasons).

I'll be watching Ronia for a while, but since it's all 3D I'm not sure I'll be able to finish it.

I'm curious about Sora no Method and Inou Battle. April is your Lie hits all the right notes with me (a romance with music) but in a worst case scenario might be too melodramatic to get through.

Yuuki Yuusha and Shirobako give me good-fun vibes, and Donten ni Warau has an interesting concept and appealing character design.

Parasyte looks interesting, but I'm wary about horror anime. Few work for me.

A few shows could go either way: Okami Shoujo/Kuro Ouji, Orenchi no Furo Jijou...

All in all it's promising to be a much better season than this one.

Trinity Seven: Post apocalyptic settings always interest me. Though the ecchi tag is worrisome.

I wouldn't worry too much about the ecchi tag. I mean compare the image of Trinity Seven to the image of Grisaia. TS has saner character desings, and no suggestive camera angle. It can still have a demeaning story, of course, but at first look it's more respectful than that title (whose only tag is "school"). My hunch is that, if you're fine with Grisai, you'll be fine with Trinity.

(If not you can always drop it or arrange yourself. As for me, my auto-filter can take care of a lot ecchiness. It's awkward, though, when I make recommendations and underestimate the ecchi content...)

kuwisdelu

Revolutionize the World
Registered
Reaction score
Sooo...

Who else is ready for the new Evangelion: FINAL preview tomorrow during the TV airing of Q???!?

Dawnstorm

punny user title, here
Registered
Reaction score
No preview. :(

New title confirmed though.

Evangelion: 3.0+1.0

So no schedule yet, either. What's the most plausible speculation? A year? I've ignored the reboot because it was unfinished, but it's about time to re-awaken my interest.

Also, this is the first time I remember that I can't wait for a season to finish. There are shows I enjoy, but there's literally nothing I'll be missing.

kuwisdelu

Revolutionize the World
Registered
Reaction score
So no schedule yet, either. What's the most plausible speculation? A year? I've ignored the reboot because it was unfinished, but it's about time to re-awaken my interest.

Next year will be the 20th anniversary for NGE, so we were expecting a release date of Autumn or Winter 2015.

But without a new preview or schedule, there's the question of whether production isn't as far along as we thought, or whether Anno is just trolling us yet again.

Last edited:

Dawnstorm

punny user title, here
Registered
Reaction score
Next year will be the 20th anniversary for NGE, so we were expecting a release date of Autumn or Fall 2015.

But without a new preview or schedule, there's the question of whether production isn't as far along as we thought, or whether Anno is just trolling us yet again.

An anniversary release would be something to aim for. I didn't think of that at all.

Once I watch the films I'm hoping to be able to take them on their own merit. I wonder whether an anniversary release might make that harder for me.

Dawnstorm

punny user title, here
Registered
Reaction score
Dropped Akame ga Kill after the first few scenes of episode 10. It just doesn't have anything to offer for me, and I've had enough.

EMaree

a demon for tea
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.emmamaree.com
Attack on Titan takes a few episodes to get into the swing of things -- the start's pretty much a gorefest, takes a wee while before they start building on the characterisation.

I was tempted to drop it after the first episodes (with no attachment to the characters it was the sort of dull bleak thing I hate) but I found it worth sticking with.

Last edited:

elindsen

Zombie lovin'
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.augustkert.blogspot.com
Finished Basilisk. It was a good gorey show with some supernatural elements. I wish they would have given some characrerization to the ones that died first so I would have been sad. Two of the characters i was rooting for them to die. The ending was predicatble, but still fun.

Now I'm watching Black Butler 3. Love the characters so far (4 episodes in). Poor Ciel.

Speaking of which, does anyone know where I can watch the live action sub?

And if you knwo where I can see the Rurouni Kenshin live action sub of Kyoto Inferno, I'd just have to send virtual hugs.

kuwisdelu

Revolutionize the World
Registered
Reaction score
Watched the first Attack on Titan episode yesterday with my boyfriend.

Not sure what I think yet.

Attack on Titan takes a few episodes to get into the swing of things -- the start's pretty much a gorefest, takes a wee while before they start building on the characterisation.

I was tempted to drop it after the first episodes (with no attachment to the characters it was the sort of dull bleak thing I hate) but I found it worth sticking with.

Though I more or less enjoyed it when it first aired, on any attempt to re-watch, it suffers from the horrible pacing problems so many shounen series fall prey to.

In the case of Shingeki no Kyoujin, I think the pacing problems can be traced back to the mangaka, who has no clue how to use pace a story or use flashbacks.

Also the English dub is absolutely atrocious. (And I'm usually fairly open-minded toward dubs.)

Still, should get better on first watch. Both arcs definitely start slow.

Last edited:

Dawnstorm

punny user title, here
Registered
Reaction score
Finished Basilisk. It was a good gorey show with some supernatural elements. I wish they would have given some characrerization to the ones that died first so I would have been sad. Two of the characters i was rooting for them to die. The ending was predicatble, but still fun.

I actually liked how the show handled death. People would die, and maybe later you'd get a flashback scene of more carefree days. There was little sense of rooting for any one side, and as a result (predictably) the infiltrator got the most "thematic" character development. Despite being ruthless it wasn't all grim, and everyone had friends. In terms of elimination games, Basilisk is near the top when it comes to handling death, for me.

elindsen

Zombie lovin'
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.augustkert.blogspot.com
I actually liked how the show handled death. People would die, and maybe later you'd get a flashback scene of more carefree days. There was little sense of rooting for any one side, and as a result (predictably) the infiltrator got the most "thematic" character development. Despite being ruthless it wasn't all grim, and everyone had friends. In terms of elimination games, Basilisk is near the top when it comes to handling death, for me.
I liked the death too. With the supernatural aspects, it was awesome seeing who had what power, how they were going to use it, and of course, when someone got killed you just had to cheer.

I think that my issue with charaterization was that the early deaths I didn't know the people enough. Mostly thinking of Yoshamaru (guy with strings). It would have been more powerful that when he died and Simone took his identity that I knew he had a girlfriend. I just think seeing a small glimpse beforehand would have made more of an impact with what happened. Not much. I liked how they gave that small bit between Simone and his sister. Only a few words between them but it established that bond so I felt for them.

I didn't root for one side. More for charcters. I wanted the overweight guy to win, the sister, the butterfly woman, the guy that got blinded...in each small battle I was hoping X character would win. Neither side had me hoping for them to win.

The show was 24 episodes. I think it was good in length and overall I really liked it. Just if I would have had something to hang onto with each side it would have made a stronger impact with each death. Of course, this is just MHO.

Basilisk also gets the award for weirdest looking characters lol. I liked the art, but man, some of those guys were creepy (looking at you, hairy guy).

Has anyone watched Ninja Scroll? My husband said it looks good but has a lot of ecchi. Thoughts?

EMaree

a demon for tea
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.emmamaree.com
All caught up with Nozaki-kun, which is fantastic: definitely recommended for artists and art fans, and anyone who just wants a fun comedy anime in their queue. It's hugely enjoyable.

I'm coming off a writing break and going back into revisions, so my anime pace will sadly slow soon. :( But I'm going to finish my watch of Ergo Proxy next (it's brilliant, a classic for good reasons), then catch up with Aldnoah Zero and see where they go with it. I've only seen one episode so far.

I need to start watching Haikyuu!! soon as well, on a friend's recommendation, but I'm holding back on that one because it has the most episodes to catch up on.

Loving Black Butler: Book of Circus and Free: Eternal Summer as well. Dramatical Murder is a bit weak on its own, but paired with the (yaoi) visual novel it's good fun, if that's your kind of thing. And RWBY is a nice, short episodic psuedo-anime for a bit of a change of pace.

Last edited:

Dawnstorm

punny user title, here
Registered
Reaction score
I think that my issue with charaterization was that the early deaths I didn't know the people enough. Mostly thinking of Yoshamaru (guy with strings). It would have been more powerful that when he died and Simone took his identity that I knew he had a girlfriend. I just think seeing a small glimpse beforehand would have made more of an impact with what happened. Not much. I liked how they gave that small bit between Simone and his sister. Only a few words between them but it established that bond so I felt for them.

I definitely see where you're coming from, but for me, the post-mortem characterisation made the deaths more memorable in the long run. Otherwise, I'd have had just another story about cool, stylish fighting. (Which is what I thought I'd get for a while. And what I got, too.)

Basilisk also gets the award for weirdest looking characters lol. I liked the art, but man, some of those guys were creepy (looking at you, hairy guy).

Oh, absolutely. And not only the main cast. That old guy with the huge tumor...

(I haven't seen Ninja Scroll.)

All caught up with Nozaki-kun, which is fantastic: definitely recommended for artists and art fans, and anyone who just wants a fun comedy anime in their queue. It's hugely enjoyable.

Aww. It's really fun to watch. I like the characters, especially Mikorin and Seo (who, oddly enough, get along really well in the few scenes they have together).

I'm coming off a writing break and going back into revisions, so my anime pace will sadly slow soon. :( But I'm going to finish my watch of Ergo Proxy next (it's brilliant, a classic for good reasons), then catch up with Aldnoah Zero and see where they go with it. I've only seen one episode so far.

My verdict on Aldnoah so far: a bit silly, not always plausible, but it's fun to watch, if you don't take it too seriously.

I need to start watching Haikyuu!! soon as well, on a friend's recommendation, but I'm holding back on that one because it has the most episodes to catch up on.

Haikyuu!! is a very, very typical sports anime, but for some reason I can't quite make out I enjoy it a lot (sports isn't usually my genre). It has great character dynamics, and the matches are actually suspensful to watch.

Loving Black Butler: Book of Circus and Free: Eternal Summer as well. Dramatical Murder is a bit weak on its own, but paired with the (yaoi) visual novel it's good fun, if that's your kind of thing. And RWBY is a nice, short episodic psuedo-anime for a bit of a change of pace.

Black Butler is great; I didn't think I'd enjoy it that much. They're not chickening out on the demon business either.

I dropped Dramatical Murder. It wasn't that bad, but my motivation to watch it was pretty low each week. It's something to marathon when I'm bored, but even then there's more entertaining stuff around.