Charlie and the Nature Factory [Warning: Stunningly Beautiful Large Photo Images]

heyjude

Making my own sunshine
Registered
Reaction score
One day, when I'm in the right mood, I'll share a story about a man I encountered who tried to shoot Charlie with a crossbow. Any idea you've had of me being "nice" will go right out the window.

Nice is relative. I'd rather you be nice to Charlie than idiot humans.

And you are my hero. :)

Silver King

Megalops Erectus
Registered
Reaction score
You all are too kind. It embarrasses me at times, seriously; but in a good way. :)

One of the more challenging birds I've found to capture in full flight is the anhinga. They move so damn fast that it's hardly worth the effort to lift the camera in their direction, as the result will more than likely be a dark blur going by.

I was fortunate to see this one approach well before she reached me:

4-9-12076-SM.jpg

Then I saw her land on a turtle that was resting on a tree stump. She stayed there for a couple of minutes before the turtle shook her off and entered the water:

4-9-12087-SM.jpg

night-flyer

roasting cows
Registered
Reaction score
Now that is funny and one helluva shot. :D The bird had to have known that the turtle was there when it chose to land, it just didn't care. I wonder if the turtle would've snapped a feather or two off if it hadn't got off.

Great shots as always, SK. Your flying anhinga came out perfect!

Wicked

Outcast Rogue
Registered
Reaction score
One day, when I'm in the right mood, I'll share a story about a man I encountered who tried to shoot Charlie with a crossbow. Any idea you've had of me being "nice" will go right out the window.

Hopefully there was a following ER visit to remove a crossbow from his rectum. :D

That picture is classic.
Check out the claws on that turtle. There must be all sorts of goodies to dig up on the bottom of the lake.

Silver King

Megalops Erectus
Registered
Reaction score
Now that is funny and one helluva shot. :D The bird had to have known that the turtle was there when it chose to land, it just didn't care. I wonder if the turtle would've snapped a feather or two off if it hadn't got off.

Great shots as always, SK. Your flying anhinga came out perfect!
Thank you. :)

The turtle didn't seem to mind at first. I think it was surprised by the encounter and didn't know quite how to react. The bird obviously didn't mind either and spent most of the time grooming herself.

It's unfortunate that I wasn't in a better position. They were a good distance away, with a bright sun behind them that showed the pair as two very dark objects in silhouette. I tried several exposure settings while shooting and posted the best one. It's a little washed out but at least distinguishes the animals from one another.
Hopefully there was a following ER visit to remove a crossbow from his rectum. :D
I didn't go that far, but you could say that he left without his crossbow while collecting a few bumps and bruises and, hopefully, a lesson he'll never forget.

I was angry enough at the time without him saying, "What do you care what I'm up to, you fucking bird watcher."

I set my camera down in a safe place and approached him before he could turn and aim the crossbow in my direction. And like they say, that's all she wrote, for him anyway...

swachski

checking the 'reset' box
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Cool flying anhinga shot, SK. You can see so much detail in the wings. :)

swachski

checking the 'reset' box
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
My nature contribution for the week:

IMG_8534-1.jpg

heyjude

Making my own sunshine
Registered
Reaction score
Thank you. :)

The turtle didn't seem to mind at first. I think it was surprised by the encounter and didn't know quite how to react. The bird obviously didn't mind either and spent most of the time grooming herself.

It's unfortunate that I wasn't in a better position. They were a good distance away, with a bright sun behind them that showed the pair as two very dark objects in silhouette. I tried several exposure settings while shooting and posted the best one. It's a little washed out but at least distinguishes the animals from one another.

I didn't go that far, but you could say that he left without his crossbow while collecting a few bumps and bruises and, hopefully, a lesson he'll never forget.

I was angry enough at the time without him saying, "What do you care what I'm up to, you fucking bird watcher."

I set my camera down in a safe place and approached him before he could turn and aim the crossbow in my direction. And like they say, that's all she wrote, for him anyway...

:Hail: SK, protector of the innocent!

Aw! Now that's cute!

Great photo! I didn't think turtles could move fast enough to shake off a bird.

All he really had to do was slide into the water.

But turtles can move surprisingly quickly when they want to!

Silver King

Megalops Erectus
Registered
Reaction score

Silver King

Megalops Erectus
Registered
Reaction score
Here's another view of the scene I shared earlier, this one while I was adjusting the exposure. Note how dark the turtle appears and is almost indistinguishable from the stump. I didn't have time to fully compensate for the elements or move to a better position. Later, I was surprised to find that any of them turned out at all:

4-9-12096-SM.jpg

swachski

checking the 'reset' box
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Mmmm, delicious dragonfly.

OMG, I think I've just been channeled by the bunneh...

brain bleach...STAT!

night-flyer

roasting cows
Registered
Reaction score
That's like the cutest pic ever!! Not the bugs having sex, I mean this one:

IMG_8534-1.jpg

great shot swachski!!

um...the bugs are...um...cute, too. SK. :D

Silver King

Megalops Erectus
Registered
Reaction score
The ever-illusive osprey. This one acted like she'd dive right in front of me while I envisioned her making off with a fish. At the last moment, she veered away from the water's surface and took off for distant vistas that were beyond the camera's range:

4-16-12029-SM.jpg

Lady MacBeth

Out, damn'd spot! out, I say.
Registered
Reaction score
The ever-illusive osprey. This one acted like she'd dive right in front of me while I envisioned her making off with a fish. At the last moment, she veered away from the water's surface and took off for distant vistas that were beyond the camera's range:

4-16-12029-SM.jpg

Brilliant shot!:)

swachski

checking the 'reset' box
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Oooh, much better than my osprey shot! Someday you'll get that dive image...someday...:)

Silver King

Megalops Erectus
Registered
Reaction score
Brilliant shot!:)
Thank you. I'll post a different angle of the same bird tomorrow, a closer view of her beautiful face. :)
Oooh, much better than my osprey shot! Someday you'll get that dive image...someday...:)
Every time I think it's going to happen, it doesn't, which keeps me going back for more challenges. You're right, though: it will happen, someday. I'm sure of it. :)