Space Marine and Dragonwrangler Bar & Grill

Status
Not open for further replies.

Kricket

Chirp! Chirp!
Registered
Reaction score
I'm doing a 12 days of Christmas type thing for Mr. K. It's going to be small stuff but I'm still having a hard time figuring out what to get him.

Andelana

Secret Stick-Figure Superhero
Registered
Reaction score
I like Wordsworth. I often go through The Prelude for dark ideas.

Uuuugh... Worst piece of self-aggrandising tripe I've ever read. It made me not want to read anything anything else he wrote, to be sure. And then I had to edit the audio we recorded a couple of years ago. I much preferred when we did Tennyson. *nods*

(There were a couple of stanzas from the whole thing that I liked. Not enough to read or listen to it again, though.)

ION, I have a new cooker, but the blokes didn't do anything but chuck it into the kitchen. I have learned that I can lift a 60cmx60cmx90cm appliance on my own high enough to get a wodge of polystyrene out from underneath it, though. *Superman pose* But, I can't figure out how to get into the little door that covers the lead that lets you connect it up to the mains. Doh. Going to have to phone a friend, I think.

IO-Good-N, I've rearranged my living room and there's going to be SO MUCH more room when I get rid of the TV stand. Yay! I can't wait until the new wood floors (bamboo!) go in next week. :D It's gonna be so pretty. And I have a couple of nice little rugs to go different places. A fluffy green one like this for the upstairs landing and a beige/brown one for the living room. (I like beige. Yay for beige!)

slcboston

Pasture-ized
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Um, yep! :D

I'm the magic Winter Book Fairy who comes and gives books to all the good boys and girls.

I'm not going to be like all these other people and lie pretend.

I was definitely not good. Least, not the way you mean.

:evil

Do I get something for being honest?

:D

10trackers

Pollyanna, Shedder of Casual Blood
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Yeah, yeah, legal stuff. I would, if you were truly interested, contact some of the university presses that usually print this kind of thing, and see what they could tell you about it.

I don't know how your copyright laws work, or how your public domain laws work, but some of this might also depend on those factors.

If I wanted to translate Frankenstein into Klingon or Bantu or something, those rights are in the public domain.

:)

Not to be a party pooper, but it's not that easy. There are more translators wanting to translate books than there are books to translate. The publisher will choose a translator personally, based on experience, references, sample work and quality. It's a fairly long and involved process.

You gotta pay your dues before you get to the good stuff, in this industry just like any other.

10trackers

Pollyanna, Shedder of Casual Blood
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
I didn't really think it was, which was why I suggested contacting people first.

I just forgot you were people.

Er, you know what I mean.

:D

I want to answer that with another Friends quote.

"Joey, we always know what you mean."

Raventongue

little orphan anarchist
Registered
Reaction score
\That is where I hide things (including two hundred Transformer comics I bought recently and have still to read).

Those aren't something to hide, they're something to hide from! :tongue

Well, boo. We have some wonderful poets and no one knows about them. :cry:

I now she's Uruguayan not Portuguese, but I've always liked Delmira Agustini.

Doing well. Caroling in Old Town this evening which is one of my favorite gigs.

You... Carol?

*adds new rating on the coolness-o-meter because previous one is no longer high enough*

So how are y'all?

:Hug2:s about the migraines! I'm doin' well, I built myself a bookshelf out of scrap wood today like the BAMF I am. xD

BW: he sees everything. Be afraid. :D

I'm the magic Winter Book Fairy who comes and gives books to all the good boys and girls.

Dangit, now you make me wish I hadn't been bad :D

wow. Who knew how fast $400 would fly away on Amazon, if you're buying gifts for your children? Just wow. I got poor (more poor) in record time!

:eek: That's 1/3rd of my yearly grocery budget!

It's slashy, but more sweet than smoking.

Heh. I occasionally read slash fanfic fluff just for the sweetness, with no interest in the sex. There's a local erotic bookstore with a big lesbian section I can (and do) go to if I want smoking.

Uuuugh... Worst piece of self-aggrandising tripe I've ever read. It made me not want to read anything anything else he wrote, to be sure. And then I had to edit the audio we recorded a couple of years ago. I much preferred when we did Tennyson. *nods*

Another poster after my own heart! Long live Tennyson, man... And my only encounter with Wordsworth, that thing about wandering lonely as a cloud, turned me off his work almost completely.

Kricket

Chirp! Chirp!
Registered
Reaction score

bettielee

I'm a sparkly fairy princess!
Registered
Reaction score
Website
bettielee.wordpress.com
pft... silly humans.... expecting fairies to work for free. Does the tooth fairy not scare people?

Do you even THINK about what she does with those teeth? I've been to her house. You dont wanna know.

WH Auden
Stephen Crane (I never remember his name)
Robert Frost
Emily Dickinson
Sylvia Plath
Langston Hughes

Kricket

Chirp! Chirp!
Registered
Reaction score
Unless you want them to strip you of your wings. ;)

Not possible.

pft... silly humans.... expecting fairies to work for free. Does the tooth fairy not scare people?

Do you even THINK about what she does with those teeth? I've been to her house. You dont wanna know.

So am I part of the fairy club now? Do I have to talk Ms. Tooth first?

BigWords

Geekzilla
Registered
Reaction score
Uuuugh... Worst piece of self-aggrandising tripe I've ever read. It made me not want to read anything anything else he wrote, to be sure.

LOL. I came to the poem through a certain David Britton book (a portion was used at the start), so it came ready-loaded with the imagery from that title. There's something in the nightmarish description of the market/fare thing which really caught my attention.

Partridges are small birds.

I think you'll find the term is entrée.

Those aren't something to hide, they're something to hide from! :tongue

The British title - i.e. the good stuff, with all the short pieces which mostly got ignored in the US. And the covers... *drools*

Another poster after my own heart! Long live Tennyson, man... And my only encounter with Wordsworth, that thing about wandering lonely as a cloud, turned me off his work almost completely.

So... I'm the only one who sees the amusement?

All moveables of wonder, from all parts,
Are here--Albinos, painted Indians, Dwarfs,
The Horse of knowledge, and the learned Pig,
The Stone-eater, the man that swallows fire,
Giants, Ventriloquists, the Invisible Girl,
The Bust that speaks and moves its goggling eyes,
The Wax-work, Clock-work, all the marvellous craft
Of modern Merlins, Wild Beasts, Puppet-shows,
All out-o'-the-way, far-fetched, perverted things,
All freaks of nature, all Promethean thoughts
Of man, his dulness, madness, and their feats
All jumbled up together, to compose
A Parliament of Monsters. Tents and Booths
Meanwhile, as if the whole were one vast mill,
Are vomiting, receiving on all sides,
Men, Women, three-years' Children, Babes in arms.

WH Auden
Stephen Crane (I never remember his name)
Robert Frost
Emily Dickinson
Sylvia Plath
Langston Hughes

I gotta admit, I like Auden's interviews more than I like his writing. There's one black and white clip of him leaning forward, smoking a cigarette in the studio, and being utterly disdainful of having to appear on television. It is quite an epic appearance.

hillaryjacques

Undercover, sort of...
Registered
Reaction score
For some reason I don't believe any of you.

I am shocked! See --> :cool:

That's my shocked face.

$10 cash or $10 worth of hot chocolate. It's cold work delivering books all around the world.

;)

You are correct about the cold. The face part of me is currently hurting, and I've been back inside for 47 minutes now. Outside= hurt.

Umm... How about free Shakespeare fanfic on Dec 13th?

About his works or about him? *is intrigued*

I'm doing a 12 days of Christmas type thing for Mr. K. It's going to be small stuff but I'm still having a hard time figuring out what to get him.

May I suggest sausages?

John Hannah reading Auden. :)

I'm a fan of Bill Stafford purely because of his poem ending in "and". Frankly, I'm not sure that I've read much else of his.

Shoestring

Junior Space Janitor
Registered
Reaction score
Hiding from mountain trolls. Do you smell fish?
I'm not really here.

You know I could be doing something useful instead of deciding which Alice in Wonderland character to be.

Oh dear, oh dear.

And how come no one wanted to be the white rabbit?

I'll be the white rabbit. There's nothing I like more than getting my stress up to dangerous levels worrying over nothing, though the running about might get to be a bit much.

I suddenly have the urge to finish my Max Meets the Tooth Fairy short.

Status
Not open for further replies.